LD Capitalist 316 or Musgrave 316 Stunner

Help Support CattleToday:

LCBulls said:
Josher said:
Seems like we have to help a lot more small newborns especially when the weather is cold versus having to help a cow calve because it's too big. That's where my dislike for the big push for low BW calves comes from. A little extra flesh really helps with survivability. I'm not saying that we need 100lb + calves, I just think 75-90lb is perfect. What is your ideal calf weight?

First Calf Heifers 70-80
Cows 80-90 although cows shouldn't have a problem with 100 lb calf's

Time of year/weather can have a big difference in calf sizes from ranch to ranch.

We use the same weight parameters you do. I don't want any calves under 70 on heifers. IMO type is as important as the weight of a calf. This summer when looking for another bull I text a breeder who had over 10 big, growthy, heavy muscled bulls advertised. I asked him to send me info on all bulls with a BW 80 lbs or over. He sent a reply and said all BW's were in the 60-75 lb range. I told him thanks. I talked to a breeder who used CE bulls for several years. He said it got where a lot weren't passing the pelvic measurement requirement. So now has went to using higher BW bulls and now seeing an improvement. I have never understood the CE/low BW selection for bulls to be used on mature cows.

For what it's worth, I was told that Stunner doesn't throw as many really small calves like LD 316 will do every once in awhile. They are still CE, just more consistent in size

I agree with consistent calf size on stunner. Also just an update on his calves. Wasn't really blown away till weaning time. 1 1/2 months after weaning now. Good bone, good growth, good feet, docile and just have a good look to them. No complaints. Wouldn't be afraid of using him again.

E6FBAC20-5500-4429-95DA-40EB1D2B92A4.pngStunner son I brought home yesterday along with three bred heifers, all musgrave breeding. Came from Tim Sievers angus, who's friends with Tyler. Real good folks with a nice set of consistent cattle. Good udders and feet. Got to see all the bull calf crop, he has the heifer calves and mommas on another farm.

Curious how much does he weigh? He looks good. Just hard to tell real wt /size in a photo

He's around 1300#. He wasn't pushed to hard. Tim takes a couple bulls every year to the Illinois bull test, but doesn't like to other than getting the farm name out there. We were in agreement, test bulls get pushed too hard and have the tendency to fall apart in the pasture.

I'm excited to see what he does. I'm rebuilding my herd with registered Angus and Simmental after a few years of downsizing. If all goes well, next year I'll do one round of timed AI then let him get anyone who didn't stick. This year he's it.

Agree fully on the pushing. We AI too and cull ones that don't grow in our harsh average grass environment. Some high numbers require high input and thus look like junk in the average man's pasture so we go for proven lines with good feet and stable numbers. Hope he does well for you as he looks great and right size.

Nice enough bull. I gained quite a bit of respect for 316 after I saw some daughters with calves at side. I was told to expect breed avg for fertility but they had really good level udders and the feet looked good too. He might be the best widely used Angus bull for quite some time.

Nice enough bull. I gained quite a bit of respect for 316 after I saw some daughters with calves at side. I was told to expect breed avg for fertility but they had really good level udders and the feet looked good too. He might be the best widely used Angus bull for quite some time.
I hope you're right. I bought three heifers with my stunner bull, two ai'd to his son crackerjack. I'm hoping he and his offspring check a lot of boxes, not just one or two. Sounds like he's producing nice balanced cattle.

Latest posts