LCA and PETA claim victory

Help Support CattleToday:

Never been to a big circus. Seen the little one that comes through town a couple times. Wish I had seen that one before it closed.

I have carried my kids and a couple of the grand thugs to different circuses.

Best one ever was the first one I went to. THE Ringling Bros Barnum and Bailey Circus, in the old Sam Houston Coliseum near downtown Houston--late 50s or very early 60s.

I hope there's a special place in hades for PETA..one where the members are eaten alive by tigers every day, spat back out whole and devoured again.

Jogeephus":3304knkb said:
Always enjoyed the circus. Had some neighbors who worked with them. Interesting people.
Circus people...or carnies?

There's a big difference.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

greybeard":1z4h2me9 said:
Best one ever was the first one I went to. THE Ringling Bros Barnum and Bailey Circus, in the old Sam Houston Coliseum near downtown Houston--late 50s or very early 60s.

I vaguely remember going to the Shrine Circus there back in the very early 70's.

Wife and I went on a church trip to the that circus when they came to Lexington, it was our first time to see a big circus, and I couldn't believe it when a few months later they announced that they were phasing out the performing elephants. It was a good show, I'm glad we got to see it. We walked through the area where they displayed the animals before the shows, and it certainly looked liked they were in good shape and well cared for to us.

greybeard":z9stuhmb said:
Jogeephus":z9stuhmb said:
Always enjoyed the circus. Had some neighbors who worked with them. Interesting people.
Circus people...or carnies?

There's a big difference.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Carnies are scary. My neighbors worked with Ringling Brothers. Some of them were Munchkins on the Wizard of Oz. Interesting people. Different for sure but extremely interesting to listen to. My neighbor's wife was a trapeze artist. She holds the world record for one armed pull ups or something like that. Here is a picture of some of her hardware.

The rope on the left is broken because other performers got jealous when Ringling Bros. gave her her own special slot. Someone cut her rope and she fell to the ground and broke her back. She had to lay in a bed for nearly a year. Since her heart was so enlarged from all the exercise she had to continue to exercise in bed else she'd die. The brown thing in the middle was her mouth piece which she would bite on while hanging by her head over the ground without a net. I think she was even able to hold the weight of a man holding her ankles while swinging.

When not touring, some of the dwarves would stay with them. The main guy liked food and I would often give him stuff from the smokehouse to try. He and I became friends and just before he died he let me have a butcher block and some copper pots and pans the Munchkins used to eat from. I thought this pretty neat. Sadly, he died last year and all that is left are memories and tales. Probably best he didn't live to see the end of something fantastic like this circus.

:lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Carnies are scary. My neighbors worked with Ringling Brothers. Some of them were Munchkins on the Wizard of Oz. Interesting people. Different for sure but extremely interesting to listen to. My neighbor's wife was a trapeze artist. She holds the world record for one armed pull ups or something like that. Here is a picture of some of her hardware.

The rope on the left is broken because other performers got jealous when Ringling Bros. gave her her own special slot. Someone cut her rope and she fell to the ground and broke her back. She had to lay in a bed for nearly a year. Since her heart was so enlarged from all the exercise she had to continue to exercise in bed else she'd die. The brown thing in the middle was her mouth piece which she would bite on while hanging by her head over the ground without a net. I think she was even able to hold the weight of a man holding her ankles while swinging.

When not touring, some of the dwarves would stay with them. The main guy liked food and I would often give him stuff from the smokehouse to try. He and I became friends and just before he died he let me have a butcher block and some copper pots and pans the Munchkins used to eat from. I thought this pretty neat. Sadly, he died last year and all that is left are memories and tales. Probably best he didn't live to see the end of something fantastic like this circus.[/quote]
Wow, what a story.Thanks for pics.Wondering if the trapeze lady was a "munchkin"( or Little Person) also?

I believe it has more to do with technology than anything else. Kids today have seen the wonders of the world on their phones and TV. Its not entertaining to this generation like the previous ones. attendance was down and when no revenue is generated you don't have a choice

greybeard":3cdc0jqy said:
I have carried my kids and a couple of the grand thugs to different circuses.

I hope there's a special place in hades for PETA..one where the members are eaten alive by tigers every day, spat back out whole and devoured again.

Agree to the peta comment :clap: :clap: :nod: :nod: :clap:

M-5":35vv4ys0 said:
I believe it has more to do with technology than anything else. Kids today have seen the wonders of the world on their phones and TV. Its not entertaining to this generation like the previous ones. attendance was down and when no revenue is generated you don't have a choice

The attendance was down primarily because they retired the elephants because of protesters of animal abuse!

I haven't been to the Circus since I was a kid. I remember my parents taking me and watching the elephants and big cats and clowns and other acts while eating cotton candy. I was very sad the other day when I read they were closing. I hope peta people choke on their tofu.

Bigfoot said:
Never been to a big circus. Seen the little one that comes through town a couple times. Wish I had seen that one before it closed.[/quot

I saw the Greatest Show On earth in 1952. A very good movie about the Circus. Available on DVD.

Latest posts