Lazy show heifer problems

Help Support CattleToday:

TheQueenOfDiamondSheen

Reaction score
I have been trying to walk her and she will walk then stop walk then stop so i followed some advice off some other sites and hooked her up to my Polaris ranger first time I done it went well and now she fights it so bad the ranger wont even pull her it makes zero sense she is exerting her self way more then she would just walking she refuses to walk help please? she also stops in the show ring mid walk advice is greatly appreciated

Bigger rig... they're creatures of habit, and if required, they will conform to whatever becomes "the normal routine/practice". Hook her to a tractor, and move slow and steady at the start, but don't stop. Walk regularly, and a long way, go places she isn't expecting, so she learns that she has to conform to what YOU are going to do, instead of her being able to dictate dominance to you. She's learned that she can rebel/refuse and get away with it.

It's like I tell the kids with the cats in the yard... DON'T stop or slow down for 'em. You'll not be doing them any favors if you do, cause they'll get run over eventually (we live on a paved road). If they're stopping in front of you when you're walking, nudge them convincingly firmly IN STRIDE without a change of your pace, so that they learn that "normal" is "whatever is approaching ALWAYS has the right of way, and it WILL run you over if you don't get out of the way".

You're heifer needs to learn that when you're leading her, YOU'RE in charge. If she's willing to fight the lead rope, tie her to a post, and let her fight it out with that first. THEN move on to leading her yourself, or with the Ranger.

Might be good to tie her to the post for long spells (half a day maybe even), and then lead her to her feed/water. She'll associate you, and you leading her, as a positive reward for standing there and not fighting with the post. Once you've got her leading good to feed/water, stretch out the walks to longer and for "other" further out rewards, like leading out to a far pasture for good grass (could be that you just feed her some good hay you've put out that she can have when she gets there). If she starts wanting to lead YOU to the feed, stop her. Remember that she needs to learn to do whatever YOU want her to do, not what SHE wants to do. YOU'RE the boss, and YOU'RE in the lead, she follows YOUR cues, not the other way around.

Bigger rig... they're creatures of habit, and if required, they will conform to whatever becomes "the normal routine/practice". Hook her to a tractor, and move slow and steady at the start, but don't stop. Walk regularly, and a long way, go places she isn't expecting, so she learns that she has to conform to what YOU are going to do, instead of her being able to dictate dominance to you. She's learned that she can rebel/refuse and get away with it.

It's like I tell the kids with the cats in the yard... DON'T stop or slow down for 'em. You'll not be doing them any favors if you do, cause they'll get run over eventually (we live on a paved road). If they're stopping in front of you when you're walking, nudge them convincingly firmly IN STRIDE without a change of your pace, so that they learn that "normal" is "whatever is approaching ALWAYS has the right of way, and it WILL run you over if you don't get out of the way".

You're heifer needs to learn that when you're leading her, YOU'RE in charge. If she's willing to fight the lead rope, tie her to a post, and let her fight it out with that first. THEN move on to leading her yourself, or with the Rang
she has hurt her chin because she just splays her legs in front of her and fights bad and I do not wanna cause her to hurt herself she is just that stubborn I got her from a breeder she was supposed to be show ready and it may be my fault from being so inexperienced this is my 1st year of doing this she isn't just some small calf anymore she is 11 months I try to walk her and I get out of breath just trying to pull her lazy ass across the yard also I greatly appreciate your reply and ill try to hook her up to my tractor have a good day!

I think you need a real soft mouthed Border Collie. When I left home I took a really small Jersey cross milk cow and a Border Collie pup with me. The cow was probably 3 or 4 years old, was used to a stanchion, but was not halter broke. She would balk and drag her feet when I would be leading her. One day I am moseying along with her and she gets to balking every now and then. At one point I was just getting ready to start tugging on her when she suddenly sprinted forward. I looked back and realized my Border Collie pup had been paying attention to all of this and decided the cow needed a little nudge. He understood to be gentle and the little cow understood to move forward. I realize you can't have a Border Collie in the show ring hazing the heifer here and there, but you can't pull her around the show ring with a tractor either. 🤔 🙂

If she already has a sore chin and you go pulling on her with a machine you are only going to make things worse. Tie her with her head up for an hour and a half and then tie her so she can lay down the rest of the day, then up for an hour before feeding in the evening. Catch and tie every day if you are not already doing so.

When you lead her, do not pull straight ahead. Pull her off to the left and just get one step and release the pressure on her lead and let her think about it for 10-15 seconds. Then ask for another step and release the pressure so she gets a reward for giving you that one step. Do that over and over. Leasing should be the same way -- pressure and release when she does the right thing. Keep tying her all day after morning feed and turn her loose at night. This will be way more effective than trying to brute force her with a tractor or some other machinery.

I have seen people take a calf that is broke to lead and ruin them by constantly pulling on the lead and never letting off the pressure. The calf gets frustrated and locks up. Pressure and release gives them the incentive to positively respond to the pressure and do the right thing. Again, start by asking for one step and release the pressure and even comb her for 20-30 seconds to add a little extra reward for doing the right thing. And then do it again. I will bet she comes around pretty quick using this strategy.

I'm far from any sort of expert, my son just started showing a few years ago. But we've fought a few stubborn ones, and we've had good results from tying them with their head up like mentioned a couple times above. I was skeptical with the first one, but after just a couple hours with his chin cinched up he followed like a puppy dog. The current steer was acting up too, even though he was shown before we bought him. For several days in a row I've tied him up for 2-3 hours, then untie him and lead him to water or food. Every day he gets a little better.

First, I would rather have one that is stubborn to walk than one that wants to duck and drag!
I would NEVER tie to a tractor, or any mechanical device. If she isn't running from you, or trying to get away, she just needs help moving forward. It is OK if your show heifer does not walk in the ring, there are always ring men there to help move her along. ALSO, there are typically several animals in a show class, and she would likely do better to follow another heifer that is walking in front of her. Having someone with you when you are walking is a must, to tail here or do what it takes to get her moving forward. A good dog is helpful too! When the kids are working hair over the summer, they always have my Corgi with them. The heifers HATE walking to the wash rack for the daily rinse, so the kids just call the dog to help, who lightly nips at the heifers back heels to get them moving.
Last, have you heard of the cable halter? You can get them from Sullivans, we made a bunch of our own (we break over 30 calves each fall - some just need it). It is a life saver for us on cattle that like to dip the head to pull away, or heifers that just do not want to walk (pull release with this halter). Here is a link to the Cable halter
Hope this helps! We have been breaking and showing cattle since 07, so we have done a bunch.

Totally agree with Firesweep.
I do believe timing their head up for an hour or so, THEN lead to food. Keep putting feed further away. Other side of barn, different pasture.
DONT play tug of war. She will always win. You are teaching her to balk.
Pulling an animal with a machine only teaches them that the machine is the boss...not you.

I appreciate all of the amazing replies and instead of getting the big old tractor out I tied her up for a while last night and guess what she led like a show ring queen I just don't like it when she stops in the ring it's a little embarrassing when everyone else is about to go around you cause she won't go but I really do appreciate all of y'all's opinions on it I have stopped also I will clarify when I pulled her with the ranger it wasn't an everyday thing I would give it a few days so she wasn't sore but anyways have a nice day everyone thanks again!

First, I would rather have one that is stubborn to walk than one that wants to duck and drag!
I would NEVER tie to a tractor, or any mechanical device. If she isn't running from you, or trying to get away, she just needs help moving forward. It is OK if your show heifer does not walk in the ring, there are always ring men there to help move her along. ALSO, there are typically several animals in a show class, and she would likely do better to follow another heifer that is walking in front of her. Having someone with you when you are walking is a must, to tail here or do what it takes to get her moving forward. A good dog is helpful too! When the kids are working hair over the summer, they always have my Corgi with them. The heifers HATE walking to the wash rack for the daily rinse, so the kids just call the dog to help, who lightly nips at the heifers back heels to get them moving.
Last, have you heard of the cable halter? You can get them from Sullivans, we made a bunch of our own (we break over 30 calves each fall - some just need it). It is a life saver for us on cattle that like to dip the head to pull away, or heifers that just do not want to walk (pull release with this halter). Here is a link to the Cable halter
Hope this helps! We have been breaking and showing cattle since 07, so we have done a bunch.
Awesome thanks! so much it's hard for me to find people that have been doing it a while that actually have methods that work and will share them

Here is a professional picture as well i would also like to know how everyone thinks she looks this was only my first year of 4h I wasn't extremely experienced at picking a heifer out she is out of twg tango which is a son of red ringstead kargo I was told she was a nice heifer by the lady who got me in touch with her breeders

Attachments

• CECC7CD1-FA96-48EA-B1F2-B138F41833DD.jpeg
    CECC7CD1-FA96-48EA-B1F2-B138F41833DD.jpeg
    754.9 KB · Views: 27
You have a very nice heifer project. Stick with tie-ing her up for a while, then lead her. And when we say tie her up, we do mean with her head up high so she cannot lay down. It will take the sass out of them - and it makes them soooo happy to see you.
Awesome glad you think so! and yes today i tied her up tight with her head up for an hour and a half timed

You have a very nice heifer project. Stick with tie-ing her up for a while, then lead her. And when we say tie her up, we do mean with her head up high so she cannot lay down. It will take the sass out of them - and it makes them soooo happy to see you.
Also my dad showed a Simmental steer a long time ago the boy in your profile picture is beautiful!

And also do you think by looks she is good enough for Texas major shows?

Not something I could say from a picture. What breed is she? I'm a long way from Texas! LOL
She has the profile - does she have the volume, muscling, good feet, legs, walks perfect??? Has she been competitive in other shows - what did the judge say?
Red angus she doesn't walk perfect yet nothing wrong with her legs I've gotten ribbons with her for breed champ at our second show so idk

Latest posts