Lazy M, TT, Ky Hills, Kentuckyguy

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
....and all you other Kentucky Users. What has happened to our normal beautiful fall? It has rained almost a solid 48 hours. Looks like we got another solid 48 hours of rain to go.

I feel like I have been robbed. I enjoy that 6 to 8 weeks of fairly dry nice weather in the fall to get work done before the months of endless mud sets in. It looks impossible now.

How are things in your area? Hollers look like rivers here.

That fairly dry nice weather is drowning along with about 40 acres of hay that you could waterski on. Good thing I should already have enough to make it through winter.

ringer":3fckdwri said:
That fairly dry nice weather is drowning along with about 40 acres of hay that you could waterski on. Good thing I should already have enough to make it through winter.

Hey. Do you know what our precipitation is year-to-date? This could be stacking up to be the highest precipitation year in history!!!

Raining the last couple of days and forecast for
3 more days. It's been a very slow, steady rain.

Bright Raven":jluvxbz5 said:
ringer":jluvxbz5 said:

Hey. Do you know what our precipitation is year-to-date? This could be stacking up to be the highest precipitation year in history!!!
Im not for sure on the year to date but they did say on the news today that this is the wettest September on record

TennesseeTuxedo":2j1cn599 said:
Fall hasn't started yet.

We usually come out of August dry, stay fairly dry through September and into October. We got over 8 inches in August. This is now the wettest September in history. If it don't get back to normal soon, we are going to be into November when it just never gets a chance for the mud to dry.

Bright Raven":34aq0po8 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":34aq0po8 said:
Fall hasn't started yet.

We usually come out of August dry, stay fairly dry through September and into October. We got over 8 inches in August. This is now the wettest September in history. If it don't get back to normal soon, we are going to be into November when it just never gets a chance for the mud to dry.

Can't fight Mother Nature.

Everybody around here is about in the same boat pun unfortunately intended. In a normal year, I get a lot accomplished in the fall, but this year I'm so far behind from all summer I will likely go into winter with a lot undone. I'm real worried about what the winter will bring after this wet summer.

Ky hills":cbu2614b said:
Everybody around here is about in the same boat pun unfortunately intended. In a normal year, I get a lot accomplished in the fall, but this year I'm so far behind from all summer I will likely go into winter with a lot undone. I'm real worried about what the winter will bring after this wet summer.

I am concerned about pneumonia. 6 days of cool rain on baby calves is not good.

I also see a tough setup for winter.

Bright Raven":1omq2iqz said:
Ky hills":1omq2iqz said:

I am concerned about pneumonia. 6 days of cool rain on baby calves is not good.

I also see a tough setup for winter.

Yeah this weather is tough on calves, we had a bout with a couple calves and pneumonia back with the hot and humid weather a few weeks ago, and this kind of change can't help things much.

It's really wet here. Good thing is the bottoms aren't flooding yet.
Does look like it's going to put a halt on the late cutting of hay we usually get. It's a shame too the crabgrass is thick and makes great hay.

Agrible shows we are at 49" of rain this year. The average is 33".

Here in Va we are in the same boat.....pun intended. Just north in Harrisonburg, they are recording 48 + inches and the year to date is normally 28 +....we have had a little less here but still a record year. Scares me too, as we have just started getting into fall calving. Good thing is there is alot of grass so at least they aren't calving in the mud. Bad thing is the possibility of pnuemonia. We should be okay with hay and rolled sorghum/sudan, but need to make more square bales of orchard grass for customers. I want some late alfalfa to put in the barn for the nurse cows.... well we don't always get what we want, but maybe the air currents will change and we will get some drier weather in October.

Same here. Thought we had a reprieve today, but it poured around 9:00-9:30 tonight.
The next 7 days looks same as the last 5..rain and tstorms

Spent the afternoon brushhogging instead of haying. Gave up on second cutting for the most part. In other words, we have had the same wet weather up here. Nearly every day either a heavy rain; a flash storm; an afternoon shower, or a firm prediction thereof.

I live around 20 miles from the KY line and here in the mountains of VA it rains or threatens about everyday. I will be glad when the humidity level goes down cause with it and the rain very hard to get much done. I will take the wet any day over a drought though.

Latest posts