lazy bull

Help Support CattleToday:

bubchub

Reaction score
My dad's Brahman bull doesn't seem to be breeding any of our cows. We just bought him in May. They have cycled about the last four months. They all had their calves on time last year when we bred them to our old bull. The guy we bought him from said he was fertile. Is there some kind of feed or medicine I should give him or should I go see the vet :?:

bubchub":2u6cwpqd said:
The guy we bought him from said he was fertile.
Sorry, but that doesn't meet my standard of a fertility test. How did he know the bull was fertile?

Texan":32dun08p said:
bubchub":32dun08p said:
The guy we bought him from said he was fertile.
Sorry, but that doesn't meet my standard of a fertility test. How did he know the bull was fertile?

Buying a bad cow hurts a bad bull is a disaster you cannot afford to not get him tested. Like yesterday, if he passes and the cows have cycled more than once that boy would be salebarn bound.

[How did he know the bull was fertile?]

He just said he was. He said to let him miss the first month, but nothing about 4 months Could it be because he was shown and just not aggressive enough :?:

bubchub":32yezknc said:
He just said he was.
Well, that ain't good enough!!!

bubchub":32yezknc said:
Could it be because he was shown and just not aggressive enough :?:
I suppose that's possible. Have you ever noticed him following a cow in heat?

Did you buy him as a guaranteed breeder? If so , Maybe he owes your money back or another bull of equal or better quality that has been BSE tested.

Texan":3rypjbc5 said:
bubchub":3rypjbc5 said:
He just said he was.

bubchub":3rypjbc5 said:

Yes I have. I think they were in heat because the other cows reared up on them and some seven month old bull calves tried to breed them.

la4angus":36kl6vnk said:
Did you buy him as a guaranteed breeder? If so , Maybe he owes your money back or another bull of equal or better quality that has been BSE tested.

I'll try to call him and see what he'll do, but isn't there something I can give the bull to help him. I thought there was something that you could put in there feed to make them be more aggressive and breed.

bubchub":23gccy2u said:
Texan":23gccy2u said:
He just said he was.

Yes I have. I think they were in heat because the other cows reared up on them and some seven month old bull calves tried to breed them.

Why aren't you getting the bull tested, and if he is bad your money back from the breeder or salebarn. Your could be losing money everyday just not knowing.

Well, my personal opinion is that its well past time to have him fertility tested. The best time is just prior to turnout. Doesn't look to me like you can afford to wait any longer. In fact, seems to me like a new bull is in order, if you're positive about your heat detection. If he checks out okay, then he hasn't been working and you don't need him. If he doesn't check out okay, then you don't need him. Either way......

ok my first comment was just a smart@$$ answer but I'd go talk to the breeder, definately needs to be dealt with NOW!!! yesterday would've been better!! Your best to move them to next calving season now once you get a replacement bull.

Bubchub...........The guy we bought him from said he was fertile.

Never ever buy a bull without a semen test and breeding soundness exam.Its good insurance.You still can get a bad bull one that does,nt work, but the risk is less.

At any rate he should be inspected by a vet soon.It is possible he has injured himself and is unable to breed. :(

Never buy a bull without a semen evaluation or BSE.

Bull sellers will lie out the a-- to get rid of a questionable bull. A bull may only breed at night...duh...BUT, he will follow heifers/cows in heat about any time.

When we sell a bull...we get him tested BEFORE the bull leaves our place...at our expense. If he doesn't test out...will have him re-tested in 30 days or so. If he still doesn't test...he's either freezer beef or to sale barn for slaughter. Our reputation is worth more than the price of a bull.

8) :cboy:

The best way to fertility test a bull is to see if he breeds cows ( and they take). I have seen a lot of bulls "pass" a fertility test and never get a cow pregnant. ANYTIME you buy a bull you need to make sure that he is guaranteed to breed. We guarantee every bull we sell and have not had one come back yet. I would call the person you bought the bull from and get another bull. If he has been with proven fertile cows for 4 months and nothing is bred then there is something wrong. If you bought him from a reputable Brahman breeder then you shouldn't have a problem getting a different bull. If you do, then you need to call the American Brahman Breeders Asociation and see what they can do to help.

How old is the bull? We don't guarantee a Brahman bull to breed until they are 18 months old.

If he's old enough something is wrong. Call the breeder.

TheBullLady":1pkh5p71 said:
How old is the bull? We don't guarantee a Brahman bull to breed until they are 18 months old.

If he's old enough something is wrong. Call the breeder.

We bought him as a 3 year old.

My dad and I watched the cows in the pasture this afternoon. we saw him try to breed one and we think that the bull is just too tall for our hereford and angus x cows.

Unless he's part giraffe its a safe bet that he isn't too tall to get the job done! :lol: But at least now you have seen him trying to do his duty -- did you ultimately witness him actually get it done?? I've heard it said on a number of occasions that Brahman's breed predominantly at night, don't know if that's true or just an old wive's tale. But as others have mentioned, it is way past time to get a BSE done by a qualified, large animal vet that has been around the block a few times, and that should of course test for disease and physical ability to perform the act --- won't tell you anything about libido.

But after the BSE test I would also consider having the vet blood test a few of the cows, specifically some of those that you say are coming into heat again and again. There are any number of diseases that cause multiple early term abortions in cows and it is possible that is you problem and not necessarily your bull

Latest posts