Laying water line with subsoiler?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I hear of people laying the black poly pipe with subsoilers, any one ever did it? Wanting water up to a barn and corral about 400 feet away. If I could get it a foot deep it would be ok most of the time as our house water line is on top of some solid rock less than than. Thought about rigging it up so it could be blown out with compressed air in the winter. Be nice to run power to that barn at the same time but money is a object.

Weld a short 3-4" piece of medal pipe on the back of the subsoiler just above ground level going down a few inches below ground level. Feed the black pipe through it just behind the subsoiler before the ground closes. Works good but you will need someone to help.

With a little help you can also lay PVC pipe. It is a little harder to do than the black polyethylene pipe, but can be done. KT has put you on the right track. Good luck with your project.

I have used a subsoiler to run all kinds of lines and it has worked great for me. I just used one to run a new cable tv line to my house.

I put in 2200 feet of 1 ½ pvc pipe for water, in 5 different pulls this way. Each pull would have average 400+ feet. I simply bolted a same chain to the bottom of the subsoiler, and thru a drilled hole in the pvc. Worked great. I did not use black poly, had been told over time it will not hold up.

I put down pvc this way too. Most I ever did was 1320 feet with one pull. I ran the subsoiller twice to be sure it was soft and bottomed out. Glued the pipe together in two sections and pulled it until I could glue the other half to it. I was a little scared that the stopping would break a section but it didn't. Haven't had any problems so far.

I would love to run some pvc using a subsoiler, but i'm not quite clear about how to go about it. I think i have the hook-up part where you weld a small chain to the bottom of the subsoiler and connect it to the pvc through a hole drilled in it. The part that i'm not clear about is how you are you going about making the pull? Are you pulling one section and then stopping and digging a hole and then pulling another section until it matches the end of the first section in the hole you just dug? Or am i not thinking right about this?

cowsrus":386dg0za said:
I would love to run some pvc using a subsoiler, but i'm not quite clear about how to go about it. I think i have the hook-up part where you weld a small chain to the bottom of the subsoiler and connect it to the pvc through a hole drilled in it. The part that i'm not clear about is how you are you going about making the pull? Are you pulling one section and then stopping and digging a hole and then pulling another section until it matches the end of the first section in the hole you just dug? Or am i not thinking right about this?

How I do it is to attach a chain to the subsoiler. Mine has a hole in it so I can bolt the chain in place. Actualy loop chain around the bottom front of foot bolt it where the hole is for the slide on foot then bolt the chain to a short piece of pvc that is capped off.

I then take a coupling and glew the pipe I'm going to run to the piece attached to the subsoiller. I also wrap this in duct tape just to be sure. Don't think this is neccessary but I do it anywhay.

Prior to doing all this I go pre trench the line I'm going to use from the hookup area to the area I want water. I normally start at the well and pull to where I want water. Since I'm pulling from the well, I will pull once to the desired location then pull back to the well then back again to the desired location. Here I will glue as much of the pvc together as I can and let it cure and glue this to the sobsoil attachment. If I'm pulling more than one section, I'll place flagging on the end so I'll know when to stop. I then drop the foot into the pre-softend hole and bottom it out and start pulling. When the flag gets near the end I stop, glue, let cure and pull on until I get near the well. At the well I will manually dig out the pretrenched hole with a shovel. Normally stop about a tractos length from the supply.

Tip, its best to have someone with you to keep from pulling the open end in the trough.

I think its also best to pretrench the line to really soften the dirt up and create air pockets.

Once you've tested the water, you can pack the ridge of dirt by simply driving the tractor down it.

Also its a good idea to glue as much of the pipe togeter as possible so you will have one continuours pull rather than a lot of stop and go actions

Hope this is helpful

they make a device to pull pipe in with
I used them all the time when I was installing gas pipe when we would mole under roads and driveways
it is a wire sock that works on the concept of a chinese fingercuff and has a pulling loop on the end of it they work really well and come in all sizes
I have pulled hundreds of feet at a time with them

Only thing that scares me is i'm going to have to pull about 2800', after connecting pre-glued sections of pvc, towards the end i would be pulling a heck of a lot of pipe. Seems like there would be a lot of drag and strain on the pipe? Is there anyway i could do to help on this? I guess i could pull it in 1000' sections and then digging a hole and making connections after pulling the next section. What do you think?

cowsrus":z2sku5d0 said:
Only thing that scares me is i'm going to have to pull about 2800', after connecting pre-glued sections of pvc, towards the end i would be pulling a heck of a lot of pipe. Seems like there would be a lot of drag and strain on the pipe? Is there anyway i could do to help on this? I guess i could pull it in 1000' sections and then digging a hole and making connections after pulling the next section. What do you think?

I kept my pulls to 400-500 feet, not sure how far you could pull. Joe had it right, do mutiple passes with subsoiler before pulling. I laid down all the pipe next the the trench, and glued it together. Then I pulled the pipe on top of the ground back to the beginning of the trench. Hooked the suboiler up, did the pull, stopped when I got to the next section then repeated for each section.

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead but I need to lay a couple thousand feet of water line and was looking for some input. It will be split up into individual runs heading in different directs, a fair portion of which will be on rolling terrain. Most people have good things to say about using a subsoiler but I've heard a few say they'll just rent a big ditcher the next time. So my first question is, subsoiler or ditcher?
And I was also wondering about the type of pipe to use. I was planning on using the black poly pipe until reading this thread. What should I use if the black poly is not a good idea?
THANKS!

Thanks for starting this again. I also have a bunch of new water lines to run. I have almost flat land. How do I decide what size PVC to run for the distance I have to run?

I have 160 acres. 1/4 mile wide by 1 mile long. Eventually I want to use the whole thing. Well/s? Probably a good thing to look at storage as I have a seasonal river running through. Researching to see what my options are and researching the up the possible front costs. I don't plan on flooding fields but plan on a small Mob Grazing set-up. I'm getting too old and gimpy to haul water in a tank on a daily routine.

Not looking to provide water to the whole piece, yet. Just don't want to redo the work every time I add more space.

Takes a lot of horsepower to plow very deep. Some plows pull the pipe as you plow, some lay the pipe as you plow. 200psi high density polyethylene (HDPE) is a good choice for plowing.
Bear

Latest posts