Lawn mowers?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Old mower has bit the dust, can't justify a new engine for a old mower. Looked at Husqvarna, JD and Cub Cadet today. Not been able to find much used. found one JD with 400 hours that was close to new price. Anyone got a suggestion?

Wouldn't buy a JD. I don't think they are even made by JD anymore. When I bought myh mower I spent more time looking at the quality of the deck and blades than anything else and made that my determining factor.

A JD mower bought at a JD dealership is still made by them. One bought say at Home Depot is a different mower with JD skins. I would stay away from Craftsmen.

if its a true JD they are pretty good but spendy along with any good mower. my parents havea jd mower that is 17 years old, runs perfect, hydrostat, only had to do some work on the pto, doesnt usea drop of oil, they dont make them that good anymore, they got a newer one, its pretty good I wouldnt get a club cadet as i have experienced one that has had engine trouble and sometimes deck trouble. Grasshoppers are very good lawnmowers but they are very spendy, i would only get one if you have a lot to mow as they are quite large mowers.

grannysoo":apt5r1oj said:
If you can stand the $$$ and want a great looking lawn, go with a Walker.
May have too but it is just so time consuming. With so many things to do its hard enough to keep the yard mowed. Maybe I just need to pasture it. :lol2:

Have you looked at the zero turn mowers? They are a bit pricey but they sure are fun to use - and quick, too. My wife and I always have a fight over who gets to mow. She always wins (she hasn't figured that out yet and yawl don't tell her).

We have a Hustler with Kawasaki motor.

We bought the top of the line Craftsman from Sears with the extended warranty. The mower was never used very much because it was a lemon. We had the extended warranty, but we lived in the country and Sears would make an appointment but never show up. It is a long story but Sears screwed us. We finally bought a John Deere and I guess It is superior because it runs. and does Its job well.
Tom.

kerley":vmozu51e said:
We bought the top of the line Craftsman from Sears with the extended warranty. The mower was never used very much because it was a lemon. We had the extended warranty, but we lived in the country and Sears would make an appointment but never show up. It is a long story but Sears screwed us. We finally bought a John Deere and I guess It is superior because it runs. and does Its job well.
Tom.

We had the same size Craftsmen and it was junk and now we have a JD zero turn diesel and its a beast.

Zero turns are just so pricey, wish I knew how much time it would save me on mowing my yard. 2 hours with the old mower. One place sell Exmark and has a demo but that mower is $4000, way too spendy for me. Troybil or Cub Cadet have them in the $2500 range which is more than I want to spend, then again I didn't want to buy one at all. Most tof the regular riders are $1500 give or take. Oh well the cost of owning property I guess.

tom4018":y1uov1gr said:
grannysoo":y1uov1gr said:
If you can stand the $$$ and want a great looking lawn, go with a Walker.
May have too but it is just so time consuming. With so many things to do its hard enough to keep the yard mowed. Maybe I just need to pasture it. :lol2:

Too time consuming??? This thing will flat our run! It's a ZTR and as the kids say... "It's the bomb!"

Cowboy 2.0":2zj5iiz5 said:
A JD mower bought at a JD dealership is still made by them. One bought say at Home Depot is a different mower with JD skins. I would stay away from Craftsmen.

We bought ours at Home Depot....warranty information referred us to the local JD dealer for everything. Never had any problems with it, but hey did pick it up this spring and take it in to replace all the belts, service it and clean it up.

I bought a Cub Cadet last fall. So far we are happy with it. Zero turns are just too pricey to me and are not really recommended on slopes(part of our yard is pretty steep). We let the horse and mules into the yard 2 to 3 days a week. Sure cuts down on the mowing.

The real John Deere's are the only ones to buy. There is a reason the same horsepower and deck size on a Craftsman or other off brand, including the cheaper JD, cost five thousnad less than the real thing. The five thousand extra spent now will buy a mower that will last 15 years longer. Just remember, a service center nearby that will repair them and sell parts is worth a lot. Not that a mawer ever needs parts. I have had a 445 JD for three years and love it. Tried a zero turn, but my yard was too rough cuz' of cow tracks, and it went too fast for me and besides, I can't drink beer if both hands are busy. gs

A friend off mine who mows a the local cemetery every year says JD is the best by far. Its 15 acres an has one the bigger JD tractor riding mowers. Hes had every brand made an says John Deere will hold up the best. He always told me you wasting your money on those cheap chain store mowers. There pricey but in the end the best. He mows the whole cemetery an its not an easy mowing, Uneven ground. Backing up an mowing around stones. He also uses a Stihl weed eater an says there the best out there.

I have a grasshopper mower that I think is great, I mow the local fairgrounds with some very steep slopes, the grasshopper has no problem going up and down or sideways on these slopes, dont have a JD but the GH has plenty of power, I also have a sthil weedeater and have used a snapper, the sthil is to me the best

I sure would like to cut my time mowing but a zero turn is pretty pricey. Was not planning on a mower so that tightened the funds up, may end up with a push mower. :frowns:
Trying to decide if I should put $500 or so in my 11 year old MTD mower, that would be less than a comparable new mower. Cheap zero turns start at $2150 but most of the better looking ones are $4000. Riders in the $1500 - 2000 range for one comparable size. Guss I need to get on the ball as grass is growing and if it quits rainign I need to mow somehow.

Wonder if I can get some stimulus money for a mower? :lol:

Latest posts