Latest Polls-Bush and Iraq

Help Support CattleToday:

Are we really sure that Oregonian actually lives in Oregon? He sounds more like a Califorian. But there are a lot of them sworming into the Northwest. Next thing you know they will give my nieghborhood a bad name.
Dave

Oregonian, you ask "What does taxes [sic] have to do with voting?" and then you state that you can't see the connection. That question was answered for you back in the 1700's by Sir Alex Fraser Tytler. He was a Scottish professor at the University of Edinburgh who watched the developments in our young country with great interest.

His most famous comment was that "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover they can vote themselves largess from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by dictatorship."

So far, history is proving him out. This is exactly why the requirements for a person to vote should be greater than simply the ability to show up at the welfare office. Or else, a democracy evolves into a kleptocracy. Like the old boy said, democracy is two coyotes and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. That helps explain why America-hating liberals want to give voting rights to anybody who can fog a mirror, including convicts and illegal immigrants. Bottom line: They want to tear the system down.

We as a nation have forgotten that we were founded as a republican (note the lower case r) democracy, or to put it another way, a representative democracy. We have also forgotten that the right to vote was supposed to carry responsibility. If we are to survive as an intact and free people the requirement(s) to vote will have to be greater than location of birth or the whim of opportunistic liberal politicians. They used to be greater. They must be again or we are doomed.

Craig-TX

Oregonian":1depfa1d said:
D.R. Cattle":1depfa1d said:
Oregonian,
For those that have a legitimate reason to be supported by society we have to make concessions. I suspect that it is a small percentage of the actual dollars being spent. If you can't read, write and do arithmetic sorry no voting. If the majority of voters have an 8th grade education, then the average officeholder will represent the interests, social values and aspirations of that majority. After a few years it would exclude only those who cared so little for the priveledge, that their vote would not be an indication of any real political opinion. A sales tax or payroll tax that is paid in easy installments will not affect the average citizen enough to make them conscious of what their government is depriving them of. I believe voting should be a priveledge to be earned and held as opposed to a natural right of all humanity regardless of condition. Sorry if you don't share that opinion. My 2 cents. Hey by the way, even those of us who like Bush don't call him King. What's up with that?

What does taxes have to do with voting? Can't see the connection.
I call him King George because he thinks he rules the world...he seems to love bully world leaders around. For example, he is sending his sidekick Cheney to Japan to boss the Japanese around....Make sure that they understand Bush favorite's statement "My way or the highway". Don't do what I tell you to do or I will cut off all relations with ya....he tried that in Dec. after the mad cow scare in the US....now the Japanese troops are in Iraq...the relations has resumed. if they pulled away from Iraq, Bush and his cronies will find any excuse to cut off relations with Japan.
Another thing is he feels to make his own decisions with all affairs... he thinks he had rights to go to war without consent from Congress...he chose not to listen to his public servants (us). He sound/acts like the old kings of ancient times....
All I know he is nuts and religious fanatic. Sounds like things aren't going his way lately in Iraq.... Now the majority of the country is fighting us. When you have a majority population fighting against us, there must be something wrong....might want to look at Bush's post-war policies. Iraqi do not want his form of government.....they want a radical government. HOWEVER, that did not satisfy Bush....do it my way....the democratic way.... Sorry Bush but when the population wants their own government in their own style...let them...you are not the decision maker...you are not a king, you are a President. Now act like one!

1. I'm not asking you to agree, but you are asking questions that have already been answered. Go back to school and learn to read.

2. In case you haven't noticed, George Bush and anyone else that might have the unfortunate job of being President, IS the leader of the free world. I don't think that earns him the title "King". He is acting that role by removing terrorist cowards from power and allowing a nation of people to enjoy democracy such as us. 30 million people are dead as a result of waiting to remove Hitler from power and taking a pacifist reactive stance towards him. Must we repeat it or have we learned from our mistakes?

As far as the Japanese sensibilities go, who cares, they are a vanquished nation and should act like one. They are lucky that we are not a nation of empire builders, or they would be a provincial holding paying taxes to support our way of life.

tfosterjr":1t95nhgi said:
As far as the Japanese sensibilities go, who cares, they are a vanquished nation and should act like one. They are lucky that we are not a nation of empire builders, or they would be a provincial holding paying taxes to support our way of life.

Actually we are....we got territory holdings in the Northern Mariana Islands and Guam..both were former nations of Japan. Now we just extended our territory into Iraq...Bush IS an empire builder. I am surprised he hasn't declared statehood for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands yet..

Aren't all of us Americans living in an empire that was built a few centuries ago? Are you saying that "Empire building" equals stealing or conquering another empire? Just trying to understand your terminology.

Subjugating other nations and forcing them to become members of an Empire. If we did that then Germany, Italy, and Japan would all be subject to our will, and not just political pressure. We could have also had France and a host of other European countries as subjects instead of allies.

Oregonian":1lgtygts said:
tfosterjr":1lgtygts said:

Actually we are....we got territory holdings in the Northern Mariana Islands and Guam..both were former nations of Japan. Now we just extended our territory into Iraq...Bush IS an empire builder. I am surprised he hasn't declared statehood for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands yet..

These territories don't want statehood. They have almost all the benefits that every American has without the income taxes, etc.