Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint

Reaction score
The newest arrival. Came this morning.

downsized_0624000714.jpg

peg4x4":1k3nagxs said:
Colt? Filly? Name? Breeding?
Waay cute!

It's a filly. She is a Spotted Saddle. She is out of the palomino and a dapple gray and white stud,(Double registered, Spotted Saddle and Walker) that belongs to my daughter.

This is the filly's sire,Slammer with my oldest daughter.
007.jpg

Not a very good pic of him, but all I have with me.

You hit the jackpot--beautiful kid and good horses..
Do you think the filly will grey?

Your daughter is beautiful Paint and that filly has some pretty neat markings on her. Did you guys ever get that Veteran's Ride in this year?

MistyMorning":yy6i5nee said:
Your daughter is beautiful Paint and that filly has some pretty neat markings on her. Did you guys ever get that Veteran's Ride in this year?

Thanks, and yes we did the ride on the 19th of June. Unfortunately I wasn't able to ride due to having shattered my ankle back in May. We didn't have the turn-out we hoped for. It has been terribly hot this year and we had a thunderstorm just prior to the ride, so alot of folks thought we canceled.

peg4x4":3h6wyxlm said:
You hit the jackpot--beautiful kid and good horses..
Do you think the filly will grey?

Actually I think she will be a dark palomino. Found out after posting the pic that she is blue-eyed.

I ask war, as that might provide a clue on what color your filly will become. Palomino babies are hard to recognize sometimes...I had one that would look palomino one day, then sorrel, then palomino the next. :) wasnt til she shed out that I knew she was truly a palomino..she did always have kind of a gold sheen to her foal coat though..something Id never seen with my sorrel foals.

Id wager your gray was probably a sorrel or a bay with the hidden red gene..and youve got either a palomino or sorrel filly...with a 50% chance of her graying out. :)

By the looks of that filly, she will grey quickly. Has the stallion ever sired a foal that didn't grey? He is probably homozygous grey - will always sire greys.

cowpunk'd":2803k7fd said:
By the looks of that filly, she will grey quickly. Has the stallion ever sired a foal that didn't grey? He is probably homozygous grey - will always sire greys.

There is only 2 of his that I know of that didnt gray. They didnt have any spot to them either.

If he has even one offspring that didn't grey, then he is hetrozygous and you are back to 50% likliehood of grey - but because the filly is so bright right now, I still say she will grey quickly.

warpaint":cri8qa0u said:
Thanks, and yes we did the ride on the 19th of June. Unfortunately I wasn't able to ride due to having shattered my ankle back in May. We didn't have the turn-out we hoped for. It has been terribly hot this year and we had a thunderstorm just prior to the ride, so alot of folks thought we canceled.

Geez, sorry to hear that about your ankle, when can you get back in the saddle?

We'll soon see. I have another mare, (black roan) that was bred to him at the same time. She is getting real close, and should foal anytime.

orchid.jpg

MistyMorning":1u69uc6b said:
warpaint":1u69uc6b said:

Geez, sorry to hear that about your ankle, when can you get back in the saddle?

Dont know yet. Got 2 plates and 14 screws inserted to hold the bones in place. Doc said it would be awhile.

warpaint":1hb7p7dw said:
Dont know yet. Got 2 plates and 14 screws inserted to hold the bones in place. Doc said it would be awhile.

Ouch! I'm all done complaining about my dislocated knee and torn meniscus now! :nod: Hope you heal fast.