Late in Life Marriage

Help Support CattleToday:

Muletrack

Reaction score
My older brother, widowed 10 years, is getting married this weekend. I'm his best man -- again. I'm a little shaggier than my current profile picture. Will I look OK in the front of a big E-Free Church? OK -- maybe a lot shaggier! My hair is shoulder length, and the beard is appropriately longer. But I bought a new $600 suit at Men's Warehouse.

My older brother, widowed 10 years, is getting married this weekend. I'm his best man -- again. I'm a little shaggier than my current profile picture. Will I look OK in the front of a big E-Free Church? OK -- maybe a lot shaggier! My hair is shoulder length, and the beard is appropriately longer. But I bought a new $600 suit at Men's Warehouse.
Ask your brother this same question. If him and the new bride are ok with it don't worry about the others.

I agree with Kenny. As long as your brother and the bride are ok with it, that is all that matters. I would say he would want you there, just as you are. If someone besides them had a problem with what someone in the wedding party looks like, they are there for the wrong reason. I've been to several weddings that had guys with longer hair and long beards, and never thought a second thought about it.

@Lee VanRoss is right; plus "shaggy" is not important, , he obviously wants you there, and that is what counts. Clean and not smelling like the manure pile is fair, comb the hair and look a little neat, and then the rest is who you are. I would rather have someone there for me that I love, and that is a real person, rather than a fake "show piece"....

Here's what I looked like when I walked my daughter down the aisle about 3 years ago, so you can probably guess my answer.
Looks like you could use some of that back on top of your head.... My hair turned (in early 20s) but it didn't turn loose.

(I am currently (and temporarily) clean shaven except for mustache)

Looks like you could use some of that back on top of your head.... My hair turned (in early 20s) but it didn't turn loose.

I have never seen my husband without a mustache. But he does now have a small beard & a buzz cut. Of course, I used to have big hair that was wider than my hips. Oh, how we've changed!

I'm a little shaggier than my current profile picture. - maybe a lot shaggier!
Ya Hippie :)
I agree with TT about putting your best foot forward.

Nothing wrong with a trip to the barber/beauty salon to have an inch taken off to remove split ends and advice on a hair conditioner to help with any wild shagginess. Same for the beard, a good beard oil or conditioner makes beards easier to manage. Having a barber/beautician stand back and look at the beard to do a comb through and a little trimming to make sure it's symmetrical will give you confidence in knowing you're as well-groomed as can be.

p.s
ZZ Top lost "Dusty" Hill this summer, not sure about his replacement :)

Clean shirt, new shoes
And I don't know
where I'm goin' to
Silk suit, black tie
I don't need a reason why

They come runnin' just as fast as they can
Cause every girls crazy 'Bout a sharp dressed man

Last edited:
Get a trim and some cheap sunglasses. You look fine, I'm sure your brother knows you pretty well by now. Have fun and enjoy the day. I hate going to weddings or any other function with more than me, myself,I there but always end up having fun.

I'm not getting bald, but my face does seem to be getting longer. I guess I got lucky though. I have two double cousins (our fathers were brothers and our mothers were sisters, so we have all the same grandparents) who by the time were thirty had less hair combined than I do now.

Your brother might be counting on you to make him look good by comparison.
That would take some serious doing! I'll just try to get through the thing keeping my mouth shut -- I'm the talker in the family. It's going to be tough.
Ask your brother this same question. If him and the new bride are ok with it don't worry about the others.
Yesterday she told me, "Nothing goofy!"
Thanks for all the good advice. Well, anyway, I'm out of time. Groom's Supper is in 5 hours!

Latest posts