Late frost seeding clover pics

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH":dwkeh670 said:
I frost seeded mine in the same time you did cfpinz. Tell me if this is clover or weeds.

0325101841a95220774.jpg

Looks like pastureland, is that ladino? I've got some sprouting but nothing as nice as yours, that looks wonderful. Just got the soil samples back on that field this week (does a lot of good now) and the pH is right on. Up to Mother Nature now.

JHH

You are going to have a FULL stand of clover and you will need to manage it carefully to keep from choking out the grass. Will you be feeding this to cattle? If so you should be cautious as bloat could be a problem. I rotational graze the year round and my cattle get conditioned to the clovers and can take on a belly full. If you have been feeding cattle on hay, I suggest you obtain a supplement with high magnesium and start feeding the hi mag now and slowly introduce the cattle to the clover when grazing time approaches. At first fill the cattle with hay prior to putting them on the clover. Be careful in approaching the cattle from the backside once they get on the clover as you may get sprayed. : )

agmantoo":2o1ndv53 said:
JHH

You are going to have a FULL stand of clover and you will need to manage it carefully to keep from choking out the grass. Will you be feeding this to cattle? Yes If so you should be cautious as bloat could be a problem. I rotational grazeThat is the plan,getting the fences up and managing the pasture better the year round and my cattle get conditioned to the clovers and can take on a belly full. If you have been feeding cattle on hay, I suggest you obtain a supplement with high magnesium and start feeding the hi mag now and slowly introduce the cattle to the clover when grazing time approaches. I am going to regret this but I have high mag lick tubs out ALL the time, An older gentleman told me I would have less pinkeye if I did. Not a case since 04 when I started doing that. At first fill the cattle with hay prior to putting them on the clover. Be careful in approaching the cattle from the backside once they get on the clover as you may get sprayed. : )

I hope this works out like I want it to. I put lespadeza out at the same time but I dont see any of that yet.It may not grow?

Can I harrow where the cows trampled the pasture (where I was feeding hay) and seed down fescue and brome grass? I think that should work but I am not sure.

JHH

It has been too cool for the lespedeza to emerge. The fescue is going to have to compete with the clover and may get stressed. Fescue is best planted in the Fall, IMO. Yes you can broadcast the fescue seed and drag harrow over the seed. Doing so will knock some of the clover leaves off but will not hurt the clover. What variety of fescue are you expecting to seed? I do not have good results with the endophyte free types. I plant the infected type and offset that with the clover and by not letting the fescue set seed. Fescue and clover are what I depend upon. I can get more months of feed from those than anything I can grow. Discounting the major drought in 07, I have not fed any baled hay in 7 years. I cannot answer your brome question.

Do you have any questions regarding rotational grazing or the layout?

Pics of some of the pasture clover that is coming. Rain has washed some of it away in a couple of spots. Just got another 2 1/4 inches last night.

0503101607a95187989.jpg

Pics of the hayground with clover in it also.

0504101407a95124303.jpg

Some of the cows in pasture where I havent seeded much yet. These where all taken about 3-4 weeks ago

0503101619a95113847.jpg

cfpinz":1mdtukq7 said:
I know it's a bit late to sling clover, but our fields were under a foot or more of snow til this week. So I came up with this contraption. The seeder flings the clover seed 28' so I took two 16' cattle panels, cut one in two and overlapped the ends like a batwing bush hog to form a 28' drag. Pulled it on a chain 30' behind the seeder. My thoughts were it would agitate the grass and help the seed make contact with dirt, from the places I went back and checked it looked like it helped a good bit. Plus it helped to see what ground had been covered and what hadn't. Covered 45 acres in a little under 3 hours.

Seeder2010Mar012.jpg

Front view.

Seeder2010Mar011.jpg

Rear view.

Seeder2010Mar010.jpg

Close-up of drag. Had to bend the front edge up and attach chains to second row so the first row wouldn't dig in the ground.

Redneck injuneerin.

Yeah......how about an update.........some pictues of stomthing green...

JHH":be260mfi said:
Sorry for highjacking your thread cfpinz :oops: Just realized you started it and I butted in.

No worries. It doesn't matter who started it, I like the pics.

I took some pics this weekend at that field, we just got done baling it Tuesday evening. Was going to post them last night but fell asleep on the couch after eating supper about 11:30 and woke up at 6:00. Clover did not do well, was too late putting it down and we had a drier than normal March and April. I'd wager that less than 10% of the clover came up, probably less than 5% to be honest. But the OG in that field went wild in the past 3 weeks since the rains came. Hay got wet 3 times while it was down but still wound up with over 200 rolls off of 43 or 44 acres. Nice hay but it picked up a brown tint.

If I can stay awake this evening I'll try and put up some pics.

By popular demand:

hay2010May016.jpg

Small patch of clover, these spots were strewn over the field - not much pattern or consistency.

hay2010May013.jpg

OG was up even with the back tires in a few places, 16.9x38's.

hay2010May014.jpg

Pretty nice.

hay2010May019.jpg

Think the OG was ready? The alfalfa in the field was 10% to 20% bloom.

hay2010May020.jpg

Got 3" of rain on it before getting it up, still nice hay but the color sucks.

hay2010May001.jpg

Time to cut hay? Just for fun, who can spot the stupid move(s)?

All in all, if I can't get the clover down in time from here on out, I'm not wasting my time.

Ahh, did someone leave a window down? Been a long time since I got to cut a patch that looked as nice as that. To bad it got wet.

Latest posts