Late Breeder

Help Support CattleToday:

LimoX

Reaction score
I bought a small herd of bred cows(10) that started calving this spring. one of the cows just calved this week and was behind the others by almost a month. I know that this would put her outside the window of possible re-breeding due to the fact that i have a bull on lean for 90 days and will be putting him in next week. My question is what would be the likely options. Sell (not the best scenario) Keep and hope she cycles in the time frame ( is a large frame cow), or is there a possibility of drugs to further along the heat process without any consequences?

If the calf is 10 days old when you put the bull in she should cycle around 35days after the bull goes in she may cycle before that. If its a first calf hefier may take longer. That will have her at around 60 days with the bull after cycling. Preg ck after that time on all of them opens should go. You can use Lutalyse to bring them in but make sure she is kept away from the bull before you do that. I probably wouldnt try that in your situation.

Not knowing the circumstances she was bred under last year, and she delivered a live healthy calf this year, I think you would be fine keeping her.
If you like her and want to.
90 days with the bull should give her ample opportunity breed back.
Could be up to 4 cycles I think.
I just sold a 4 year old born 03/13/07.
First calf was a heifer born last of the year by about a month on 05/03/09.
second calf a bull calf born 04/18/10.
Third calf was another heifer born 03/06/11.

She is not a 1st time heifer. The timing of the bull with the cow was six months. Again, i don't know when she had her calf last year. I know that this is a broad question with many answers, but just wanted to get a little feedback, and didn't know it was reasonable timing to allow for breed-back or if i was going to need to go a different direction. For what its worth she had the calf on Monday (5-16) and is a really nice looking heifer!

We've had late cows catch up to the rest, and some early ones suddenly be late for a couple years. My old cow likes to calf in late april to early may... so she's about 6-8 weeks after our first calf, but as long as she has one before the bull goes out, I don't mind.. Her 1/2 sister was also late for several years, and this year was right in the first cycle. At this point, I'd judge the cow on all her other aspects..... Milk, growth, etc.