late banding

Help Support CattleToday:

TMRwife

Reaction score
Banding calves late for the first time. We know we need to give tetanus and penicillin - do they have to be given separately, or can they be mixed as one injection? Can they both just be given in the neck?

Give the shots in the neck.
The pen is for if/when you get an infection from the banding.
Stumb infections happen more often with later banding.
If you band enough at 300 lbs and up you will get em some more often than other. But it will happen.
(about 1 in 30 around here)
Time of year heat flies all play a role.
Band em watch for swelling at about three weeks.
THEN give the pen if the calf is acting sluggish, laying around or you get swelling.
You will be fine, its not a big deal.

MD

I usually give the tetanus in one side and the pen in the other.We always use the antitoxin instead of the toxoid. We need to treat as if they already have tetanus and the antitoxin seems to do this better than the toxoid.The times that I have seen guys get in trouble banding bulls it was because they did not get the band tight enough.For that reason I like the callicrate bander,it has an indicator to tell when tight enough.
We have banded hundreds of bulls and not had any trouble.

TMRwife":388lav8s said:
We know we need to give tetanus and penicillin - do they have to be given separately, or can they be mixed as one injection? Can they both just be given in the neck?

I would give them seperately, but I don't understand why you're giving penicillin, too?

I think you need a new vet. IF you are going to hit EVERY steer on your farm with penicillin; be sure to have epinephrine on hand just in case one goes into shock from the Penn. You will probably never lose one; but it is an inexpensive insurance policy. You do not want to mix anything with Pennicillin as that is a very complex molecule that can react with almost anything, making it useless. IF you are using PennG on 500 lb steers, it will take 10 ccs. Getting all of that into one injection site will be difficult enough.

Latest posts