late baling hay

Help Support CattleToday:

dane12

Reaction score
what is the latest you have baled hay.I am really running late this year mostly due to a lot of rain.
I live in the Dallas/fort worth area

I have seen hay baled in Van Zandt County after we had a freeze. It may be that way this year as ground is extreemely wet and we it doesn't look like much drying weather this week as day time temperatures won't get very high.

It really depends on the weather. I just made my final cut Saturday of about 60 acres. Your biggest concern would be getting it cut before frost hits it.

I am baling today and tommorow and I am way, way North of you guys. I usually bale something into November. Late first cut bromegrass that I never got to in the summer and then I wait until the second growth basal leaves start greening again, actually turns out to be pretty nice hay this time of year and the hard frost we have had take alot of the moisture out of the hay. Then I have some third cut alfalfa down that may or may not get baled up, but it is close to home and pretty thin and may take a couple to three weeks to get up but will end up in some pretty nice round bales for the cows when they come home off summer pasture within the next month. Last year around the 1st November I put up some third cut alfalfa in the hay mow.

weve baled hay here in northeast tx as late as thanksgiving.baler man layed down the last 15acs yesterday.so hoping to get that finished up before the rain.you can cut after a frost an bale the hay with no probs.

dane12":2o3ig3ql said:
what happens if you bale after the first freeze?

Probably going to depend on the type of grass. In our area, it's coastal bermuda grass. When the frost/freeze hits it, the cows don't want to eat it. If it's used for feeding, plan on spending $$$$$ for supplements.

grannysoo":k6gpuwfj said:
dane12":k6gpuwfj said:
what happens if you bale after the first freeze?

Probably going to depend on the type of grass. In our area, it's coastal bermuda grass. When the frost/freeze hits it, the cows don't want to eat it. If it's used for feeding, plan on spending $$$$$ for supplements.
We have been stockpiling some bermuda with success. Treat it like a fall cutting (fertilize in the fall) and strip graze. Research at the Overton Center showed protein better than most expected. Could delay putting out hay until early Jnauary.

Finished rolling mine up yesterday. Got in a very nice crop of coastal bermuda that is some good looking hay. In a couple of more weeks, it's time for the peanut hay, then the baler gets cleaned up and put to bed till next year.

didnt get our hay up.it was just to wet to bale.so now its getting rain soaked.hope itll dry out enough to bale in a few days.

bigbull338":2qlzx6ut said:
didnt get our hay up.it was just to wet to bale.so now its getting rain soaked.hope itll dry out enough to bale in a few days.
Supposed to have a week of sunshine after this passes. Had about 1 1/2 inches.

It's not often that I get weather this perfect. 5 beautiful days of cool, light wind, sunshine. Didn't even have to fluff the grass, it just dried out perfect. It's good when it works out like this.

Best of luck in getting yours up!

you got that right.wich has me wondering if itll get baled at all.because we need a few days to get it dryed out.

bigbull338":3809jmo3 said:
you got that right.wich has me wondering if itll get baled at all.because we need a few days to get it dryed out.
Just checked the forecast. They changed the 4 days of sunshine and 2 partly cloudy days to 2 sunny 1 partly couldy and moved the rain from Wednesday to Monday.

dane12":3rn3mxfc said:
what is the latest you have baled hay.I am really running late this year mostly due to a lot of rain.
I live in the Dallas/fort worth area

Well, the latest we have baled hay is still undetermined. We currently have the better part of 2 pivots of alfalfa down, got part of both of them put up, and it will be interesting to see when it gets put up - might be next spring the way this winter is going. :roll: It's been an interesting summer, and winter is proving to be just as interesting!

Cut some 1st cut Brome today and am pretty sure the third cut I mowed about 3 weeks ago will be ready to bale tomorrow. We are gonna have about 4 days of day time temps in the high 50s.

hayray":1uqgtppd said:
Cut some 1st cut Brome today and am pretty sure the third cut I mowed about 3 weeks ago will be ready to bale tomorrow. We are gonna have about 4 days of day time temps in the high 50s.

I cant believe that you are cutting brome for the first time in Nov. and it is still alive. My brome would be dead by July, I try to get mine cut by middle of June and a second cut in Oct.

Latest posts