last roll of hay............

Help Support CattleToday:

eric

Reaction score
since we've been plenty of rain and 70-80 degree days here in N Tx, my hay consumption has gone down considerably, as they are only eating hay early in the morning, and late at night, they are grazing the rest of the day. I usually get about a week out of a roll, but the last roll lasted 2 weeks and this current roll has ben out for a week and it's still over 1/2 full.
I have one full roll left, it's tied with twine. Would it have any nutrient value left by next winter? it would be about a yr old by then. Or should I just put it out in the pasture and let them eat it up? Any reason to save it from one yr to the next? I think by the time the roll I put out about 10 days ago is gone, the pasture should be well established and they can graze on it full time.

If it hasn't been rained on and will be kept that way through the spring and summer, there will be very little loss of nutrient value. If it's been rained on or will be, you might just as well use it up.

dun

eric":xqbwq15t said:
since we've been plenty of rain and 70-80 degree days here in N Tx, my hay consumption has gone down considerably, as they are only eating hay early in the morning, and late at night, they are grazing the rest of the day. I usually get about a week out of a roll, but the last roll lasted 2 weeks and this current roll has ben out for a week and it's still over 1/2 full.
I have one full roll left, it's tied with twine. Would it have any nutrient value left by next winter? it would be about a yr old by then. Or should I just put it out in the pasture and let them eat it up? Any reason to save it from one yr to the next? I think by the time the roll I put out about 10 days ago is gone, the pasture should be well established and they can graze on it full time.

Latest posts