Last one for the Year

Help Support CattleToday:

CB, is alive :lol: :lol:

I finally got all the hay I need for winter and left one pasture grow and just turned the cows out on it with some protein tubs, its cheaper than getting it baled too.

4/rolls acre. Should be be some good quality hay.

Just washed up my mower today. I still have three fields that I could cut but I think I'm going to let it go unless it grows a bit more. Probably would only cut 2 rolls/acre and I don't think that would justify my time right now with everything else I got to do. Hate to see winter coming but I'm glad to put up the hay equipment. :D

Jogeephus":1fvugj1a said:

Just washed up my mower today. I still have three fields that I could cut but I think I'm going to let it go unless it grows a bit more. Probably would only cut 2 rolls/acre and I don't think that would justify my time right now with everything else I got to do. Hate to see winter coming but I'm glad to put up the hay equipment. :D

I'd be tickled pink with 2 rolls/acre. Have one 50 acre field now that doesn't have 5 rolls in it. Cut it in the spring and got 130 rolls. Average is 200-250/spring and 100-150 fall.

cfpinz

At the moment I have nearly two years worth of hay. Will probably put the cows on the fields and let them eat it down. However, if we would get a half inch of rain, it would be ready to cut in a week or so.

Thats exactly what I am doing now.. letting my cows get after a 17 acre pasture that is really good to mow again; But we already have about 50 more bales than we need for the winter.
They sure are enjoying eating that grass... getting fat for the colder months. The way this fall is looking.. it maybe way into December before I have to start feeding hay. you never know here in Oklahoma though.

I finished Saturday morning with a 5 acre patch and 3 rolls. I still need to clean up all the equipment though.

alabama":3le2izoa said:
I finished Saturday morning with a 5 acre patch and 3 rolls. I still need to clean up all the equipment though.

John, do you have enough hay to get you through winter. I see a lot of peanut hay rolled down here.

Has anyone heard the news lately predicting a low rain totals for this coming winter also. I am second guessing now to plant rye or not.

I think I have enough hay for the winter. As for planting winter rye, I have my seed but I am waiting for a rain before I plant.

cfpinz, I'm hopin' and prayin' we have enough hay for the winter and early spring. Things are gonna get real ugly unless we start getting some moisture and I'm concerned about next year now. How're things your way?

cfpinz":13qf2pyv said:
Jogeephus":13qf2pyv said:

I'd be tickled pink with 2 rolls/acre. Have one 50 acre field now that doesn't have 5 rolls in it. Cut it in the spring and got 130 rolls. Average is 200-250/spring and 100-150 fall.

cfpinz

Gale Seddon":1505gt6v said:
How're things your way?

Well, I'm still above ground so things really aren't all bad. But as far as most things go, they suck at the moment.

cfpinz

C Holland I too have heard that we might be looking at a dry winter but have also heard it may be "mild". Still will need lots of hay.

Latest posts