Last nights surprise, and a couple others

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
As I was sitting back last night, watching a movie something inside me was telling me 'something's up'.. I didn't clue in to it right away, but it was this nagging little feeling.. After a while, I figured it out.. It was Mega and her bell.. I shouldn't be hearing it, she's *supposed* to be a half mile away in her pasture with 2 calves and another cow. So out I go with the flashlight, sure enough, there they all were in the yard, and in the after-calving pen, having a big hoot romping around, digging in the compost pile, and just generally causing mayhem.
So I stand by the corral (about 100' away), and call her.. after a half a minute they stopped digging up my compost pile and the whole bunch came running to me, and all into the corral where I locked them up for the night and gave them a bale of hay.

Today I also decided it was time to wean the Caddy's bull calf.. the one I had haltered up a week ago, and managed to lead a little bit in the field. So I put a rope on his halter, and though it was slow going, I was able to lead him the 1/4 mile or so away from the herd, and up into the corral. Once he got to the halfway point he actually behaved really well, enough so that I brought him through the yard of the house and surprised my dad when the bull looked in the window at him reading his paper. Of course his momma is upset now, and when I went back down to the field to pick up my bike, she came running up to me telling me "bring me up to see my boy". I would NOT be surprised to find her hanging around the corral tomorrow morning! I will also be weaning Tifa, that pretty little devil.. She is behaving a little better, just needs some more treats and goodies to get her to behave the way she ought to.

Many many years ago, my dad woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of big drums.. he had no idea what it was.. was it the natives? This was in the day when flashlights were about as powerful as your Bic lighter.. so he goes out and listens to where it's coming from, following the sound... As he gets to the end of our long barn, there's a big burn pile, and a giant shadow leaps over it.
Our big (2600 lb) Red angus bull had broken out of the corral at night, and discovered our FULL 45 gallon barrels of diesel, about 5 of them, and was rolling them around, and playing with them. I don't know what my dad did to get him back in!

Nice stories Nesi! I love how you "train" your cattle. It sure makes it easier when they cooperate. I also think that it is great that you seem to enjoy and have some fun with them. (Like surprising your dad.) :)

The bull calf will perhaps go for "Promenades" in the spring time.. and Tifa most likely as well. They sure like the attention and getting to have a couple mouthfuls of green grass before everyone else. Of course if I don't let Mega, Sofa and Kama as well they will be very upset with me! They get terribly jealous.
The more he grows the better I'm liking this bull, he's got great length, a very nice butt, and a great attitude. I am definitely going to breed some cows and heifers to him next year, and depending on how I like the Limo he may replace him

Good Story.

My first ever 500 lb bull calf walked right out of a gate i left open.
3 hours, 4 people and a ranger pickup later we got him penned up.
I dont know who got more woreout him or I.

Now all i gotta to is bang a metal feed scoop and they come a runnin.

Bill

Hah!! Big tree trimming outfit comes through our hood once a year, probably paid by the county, to trim trees along our roadways. They have to have a place to dump chips, and are happy if a land owner wants them. We like them -- helps w/ mud in the lots during the winter, so we've had a couple loads brought in. First one, the calves were like little kids jumping in leaf piles, and the bull was happy to have something to swing his head through and toss around.

Calves love a pile to romp on.. I was thinking of making a sort of "Punching bag" out of a rolled up Ginseng tarp, they can have some fun with.

I've kicked a basketball into the calf pasture, they have some fun with that.. and though not as enticing as to a cat, laser pointers are good too.

Saw a good vid on youtube of a husky having a heck of a fun time playing in a leaf pile.

Our cows love digging potholes in the fields.. and especially if they figure on a fight. Once when Tizia was in heat I brought her to the bull, and she stopped along the way and just *had* to go rub in a bank and get all dirty.. I figured she was putting on her makeup :)