Last calf crop looks like it will start today

Help Support CattleToday:

jkwilson

Reaction score
Bittersweet, but the longer I think about it, the better I feel about not being tied down.

The first cow is probably an appropriate one. A few years ago we were on the East Coast visiting our children. Eating lunch waiting to fly home, when a neighbor called and said a cow was in labor (2-1/2 weeks early at least) and it was coming backwards. Frantic phone calls and we got another neighbor to help, but they just hadn't seen it soon enough.

I'm walking Dad through his slowdown this year. He sold off almost everything last year and kept just a few to keep some extra money coming in. He's not tied down but I can see the boredom creeping in a bit here and there.

Here's to your less stress and freedom to fulfill that wanderlust.

Bittersweet, but the longer I think about it, the better I feel about not being tied down.

The first cow is probably an appropriate one. A few years ago we were on the East Coast visiting our children. Eating lunch waiting to fly home, when a neighbor called and said a cow was in labor (2-1/2 weeks early at least) and it was coming backwards. Frantic phone calls and we got another neighbor to help, but they just hadn't seen it soon enough.
I knows the feeling. However, this time of year, when it is cold as it is tonight, with rain and sleet, I don't miss having to feed after dark, chopping ice out of water troughs, etc. And of course days (and nights) like today, is when they'd get sick or hurt, or get out of the fence. And I only miss 100 degree days in the hay field just a little bit. I miss being able to do those things, though. :)

I've swore a few times that I was never gonna own livestock again, just gonna plant pine and food plots on the whole place. But I always end up back in the cow business in one form or another, I just can't imagine a life without livestock. Now I can't wait to retire so all I do is fool with livestock. It does tie you down, but a person has to have something to do to occupy their time so might as well be something that can turn a dollar every now and again and is enjoyable. At least it's enjoyable most of the time.

If someone didn't want to be as tied down, they could raise stockers. They can get at least 3 months off in a year.
Tell that to my neighbor. He retired, got a part time job because he was bored. He's always had stockers and just when he sells them and says he's going fishing for a month but he can't help himself and immediately buys more. And I'm the neighbor that takes care of them when he actually does take a break.