Lasik surgery?

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Who here's had it? What do you think of it? They want 4k here to do both eyes, is that about right, high, low? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Have not had it done yet. I have been debating it for a few years. The price compares to what I have seen.

There are some "jiffy lube" type in and out clinics up in Dallas that can beat this cost. I don't think I would put my eyes in their care just to save a few nickels.

When I consider the cost of eye wear, my ability to break a pair of glasses in an instant, drought invoked dust sand blasting my contact lenses, and the cost of going to the eye doctor year after year, spending the $4K can be rationalized on a business case analysis.

backhoeboogie":345u5s0x said:
Have not had it done yet. I have been debating it for a few years. The price compares to what I have seen.

There are some "jiffy lube" type in and out clinics up in Dallas that can beat this cost. I don't think I would put my eyes in their care just to save a few nickels.

When I consider the cost of eye wear, my ability to break a pair of glasses in an instant, drought invoked dust sand blasting my contact lenses, and the cost of going to the eye doctor year after year, spending the $4K can be rationalized on a business case analysis.

Does that translate to "I'm kinda cheap and don't mind being a little blind"?

3waycross":194jdgh5 said:
backhoeboogie":194jdgh5 said:

Does that translate to "I'm kinda cheap and don't mind being a little blind"?

Yep!
:D
Actually it is taking the time to get 'er done. $4K aint many nickels these days

I had it done about 8 years ago. One the best decisions I've ever made. 20/250 in one eye and 20/275 in the other. Now I'm 20/10 in both. Cost back then was right at 2000 total. wife had hers done also, roughly same price.

hooknline":2m8ew1cm said:
I had it done about 8 years ago. One the best decisions I've ever made. 20/250 in one eye and 20/275 in the other. Now I'm 20/10 in both. Cost back then was right at 2000 total. wife had hers done also, roughly same price.

I can promise you I have spent well over that 2000 in the past 8 years and still have to have correction. Should not have put this off as long as I have.

For us with older eyes, do they fix both near and far? I've heard you still need glasses to read

backhoeboogie":2mdml46o said:
hooknline":2mdml46o said:

I can promise you I have spent well over that 2000 in the past 8 years and still have to have correction. Should not have put this off as long as I have.
Boogie the wife had it done about 5-6 years ago. Can't remember what it cost but $4000 is probably a very good price today. Based on her experience I'd absolutely encourage you to get it done as soon as you get time. She had a little problem with glare (but they told her she would) and it didn't last long. And one eye was fixed for close up viewing and the other for distance viewing. It took a little while to get use to that. The entire procedure took about 30 minutes and then she slept the rest of the day during the period that had the potential to be painful. Go get it done bud.

dun":3qh1qsie said:
For us with older eyes, do they fix both near and far? I've heard you still need glasses to read
friend of mine had it done and he still has to wear reading glasses
I looked into it but they said I would still have to wear good sunglasses such as ray bans when I am outside because of my light sensitivity so I figured it wasn't worth the hassle if I still had to spend $200 on a good pair of shades

dun":am2lhj4v said:

Dun

My BIL had lasik a few years ago and loves it. If my memory is correct he said 1 eye was corrected for near/reading vision and the other for distance, so no reading glasses.

Mine were fixed both the same(nearsighted). Back then they offered the one near, one far also, but I didn't think I would like that or adapt well. And once its done, its done. As for fixing the need for reading glasses...as far as I know, it won't do that. In fact, I'm just now starting to see the need for longer arms.

Thanks for the responses.

As far as I know, lasik is only to correct people who are nearsighted. Most of the folks I know who have had it done still using reading glasses after 40 years old.

Sorry dun, looks like at your age you'll still need one of these for reading:

telescope-sam-1.jpg

I know two people who have had it done and are now back to wearing glasses full time. Don't know any other details than that but I'm sure they have made big strides since theirs was done.

My mom, an aunt, and an uncle all had it done, and all are thrilled with their results.
My aunt who had the worst vision still needs reading glasses, but she said the cheapos from the drug store do fine; before surgery she had coke bottle lenses full time.
My mom had the monovision where one eye is adjusted for distance and one for reading, and she's very pleased but she says bleachers are kind of tricky because it will toy with your depth perception from time to time.

I'll have to ask. Time has a way of flying by. I just noticed both of them were wearing glasses last time I saw them and I didn't ask any questions.

I never had it done- but have a lot of friends and acquaintances that did... Because of the price- some went to Mexico (a couple got it done while on vacation) -- but the majority up here went to Canada where its a lot cheaper than the states... The last one I knew that went to Canada a couple years ago- it cost $500 (cash) per eye-- and they have really been satisfied...

Yep, wife and I both got it done 3 years ago and love it. It does make a difference which laser they use, but it's been to long and I can't remember. A lot different today than 10 years ago.

I had it done about 9 years ago. I am very satisfied overall. It cost 3000 for both eyes. Glare is a major issue at first. I still have some glare issues particulary at night. I am wearing glasses again (mostly for driving, especially at night). I went glasses free for about 6 years. I don't need glasses through the day, maybe need to squint every once in a while for certain signs where the letters and background don't have the right contrast and bleed into each other a little. It is amazing thought to wake up in the middle of the night and not need glasses to see the clock.