Lasater Ranch Beefmaster Herd Bulls (Pictures)

Help Support CattleToday:

4201 is a great bull, his condition is because of an excellent forage based phenotype. His conformation is exactly like that of the hereford bull I am linebreeding to.

I am a bit disappointed in the toplines of the other bulls.

KNERSIE":qydytyqu said:
I am a bit disappointed in the toplines of the other bulls.

I thought the same thing. I was very surprised by them.

Personally, I like 6265 the best.

Ryan

They are all nice bulls, I'd be proud to have bred any one of them.

BC":1eq8opzd said:
Ryan":1eq8opzd said:
Personally, I like 6265 the best. Ryan

Would you explain what it was you liked about 6265 that you liked over the other bulls. Just curious.

Certainly.

First, and foremost, I believe when selecting a herdsire you must be Extremely critical, due to the amount of influence that one individual will have on your herd. Therefore, when looking at potential bulls the easiest and quickest way to narrow the field is by disqualifying those with obvious faults. By doing this I remove 5025,4290, 6292, 5036, & 6318 from contention due to their toplines. There are good enough bulls out there that it is possible to find one with a topline that doesn't concern me like those do. Although, some of their toplines are not extreme, by looking at these pictures taken on that day, those bulls do hae toplines that concern me.

So that leaves 4201 and 6265. Both look like really exceptional bulls. Between these two bulls I just personally see more longevity in 6265 and see him to be an easier keeper than 4201. I think he will be a deeper bodied bull with more capacity, while still maintaining ample muscle. I just like his design better than 4201, of course this is all based off of one picture from one angle. I don't think you could wrong with either of these bulls, 6265 just fits my style a little more.

Ryan

Ryan":qf521muj said:
BC":qf521muj said:
Ryan":qf521muj said:
Personally, I like 6265 the best. Ryan

Would you explain what it was you liked about 6265 that you liked over the other bulls. Just curious.

Certainly.

First, and foremost, I believe when selecting a herdsire you must be Extremely critical, due to the amount of influence that one individual will have on your herd. Therefore, when looking at potential bulls the easiest and quickest way to narrow the field is by disqualifying those with obvious faults. By doing this I remove 5025,4290, 6292, 5036, & 6318 from contention due to their toplines. There are good enough bulls out there that it is possible to find one with a topline that doesn't concern me like those do. Although, some of their toplines are not extreme, by looking at these pictures taken on that day, those bulls do hae toplines that concern me.

So that leaves 4201 and 6265. Both look like really exceptional bulls. Between these two bulls I just personally see more longevity in 6265 and see him to be an easier keeper than 4201. I think he will be a deeper bodied bull with more capacity, while still maintaining ample muscle. I just like his design better than 4201, of course this is all based off of one picture from one angle. I don't think you could wrong with either of these bulls, 6265 just fits my style a little more.

Ryan
What makes you think that 6265 would be an easier keeper and have more longevity?

I think he is going to have more capacity (not a whole lot more, but some more) as he ages compared to the other bull. I think that greater capacity will lead to being able to consume more forage which will lead to easier keeping. I think that easy keeping and longevity go hand in hand. If an animal is able to keep itself in good condition on less quality/quantity forage, then in my opinion it should be able to last longer as it will not get as "down" in the winter. In my opinion, the lesser the variance from top body condition score to the lowest in a given year is best for an animal, and smaller variances due to easier keeping animals can lead to that animal living longer. I do think the older bull is a little more pinched in the heart girth than the younger bull, not a lot but some.

I think both the bulls are similar and the differences are actually pretty minimal. But when selecting a herd sire it is those little things that can take the sires calf crop from being just above average to the top of the sale. Also, these things are pretty nitpicky and based off one picture. I do feel that with herd sire you must be extremely nitpicky and not settle for something that will "work". I read an article today about a very successful woman rancher, and one of her quotes was "Buy the best cows you can afford. Buy the best bull you can find, even if you can't afford him." I you should always be looking for the best bull, and if you sacrifice quality in your herdsire, even just a little, it will show in your calf crop.

Ryan

Latest posts