Lasater Ranch Beefmaster Herd Bulls (Pictures)

Help Support CattleToday:

East Caney

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of visiting the Lasater Ranch this year. I attended the field day and sale, and I even came back with a bull. While there, I took pictures of the following herd bulls...for your viewing pleasure. They have had a drought up there the last couple of years, but I was still very impressed with the bulls and their cow herd.

DSCN2565.jpg

Lasater 5025, 3 year old

DSCN2568.jpg

Lasater 4290, 4 year old

DSCN2575.jpg

Lasater 5036, 3 year old

DSCN2576.jpg

Lasater 4201, 4 year old

DSCN2581.jpg

Lasater 6292, 2 year old

DSCN2586.jpg

Lasater 6265, 2 year old

DSCN2589.jpg

Lasater 6318

I hope you enjoy the pictures...comments appreciated.

EC

EC, tell us about the bull you came back with. Is he out of one of the bulls pictured? Do you have pics of him?

I am unfamilliar with with Beefmaster. Are they a composite beed of cattle? Im interested to know

They look like pretty handy bulls

redpoll52":1j5keal6 said:
I am unfamilliar with with Beefmaster. Are they a composite beed of cattle? Im interested to know

Yes. They are about 25% shorthorn 25% Hereford and 50% Brahman.

skyline":1hvzufzv said:
redpoll52":1hvzufzv said:

RP, here's a link to a short summary about the breed...

http://www.beefmasters.org/pages/index.php?page_id=4

Even better, go check out http://www.lasaterranch.com and read "history" and "the program". They recently changed the website and have not completed it, but there is good information there.

My personal preference of the bulls was 4201. Lots of length, depth, good hind quarters, his fore arm also indicates muscling. Acceptable sheath for a Beefmaster.

I like the top three bulls. 4201 seems a little well feed for me to say I like him. Maybe he just converts well. The rest look in workin condition 4201 looks fat. Seems as the bottom three bulls lost some conformation through the topline and sheath. I like the top three a lot though.

skyline":18esatzn said:
EC, tell us about the bull you came back with. Is he out of one of the bulls pictured? Do you have pics of him?

I'll have to get some good pictures of him to post. As I stated, they were in a drought, so these bulls didn't look like the really fleshy or overly fat bulls seen in most production sales. I can say, without bias, that he does have a broad back and plenty of muscle. He rode back from Colorado with 5 other bulls which were all out of the 1st pen of two-year olds...I don't know that any of them had a back broader or as broad as his.

The bull was sired by Lasater 2395. 2395 was retired as a 5-year old, the maximum that the Lasater Ranch keeps any herd bull, regardless of productivity. 2395 left 18 keeper bulls as yearlings in 2007. He left 16 keeper bulls this year, including 2 Lasater Ranch herd sires. Lasater 2395 sold in the 2007 sale for $5,250.

EC

TB-Herefords":1wwzz40k said:
I like the top three bulls. 4201 seems a little well feed for me to say I like him. Maybe he just converts well. The rest look in workin condition 4201 looks fat. Seems as the bottom three bulls lost some conformation through the topline and sheath. I like the top three a lot though.

These bulls all stay in the same trap. They go into multiple-sire herds for the 45-day breeding season, then it's back together. The bull is definitely not overfed. They are in a range environment, protein supplement in the winter, hay only when snow covers the dormant grasses. I'd place my bet on him being easy keeping. So, knowing (or assuming) that he is not receiving special treatment, what is your thought on the bull? Is there something besides his flesh that makes you not like him?

EC

TB-Herefords":2y9prsw4 said:
If I had the choice out of all of them, 4201 would be the one I would take home.

those are some goodlooking clean sheathed beefmaster bulls.lasater sure knows how to breed the best bulls an cows.

TB-Herefords":23mvaqfm said:
I am familar with the Lasater program and knew that that bull looked like that on his own. I want cattle that are easy fleshing - that will be a trait that more people will pay attention to in the future.

They look like a box of chocolates to me! They all look good and it's hard to chose one. (of course these all have nuts).

I have no doubt these are "forage only" cattle. It is a waste of money to feed a Beefmaster, regardless of age or gender. If they can't keep their flesh on forage, breed as two year olds, and produce a calf each year without feed, they are and should be culled.

If that bull Recieved the same treatment as the rest I would say he's a heck of bull. I would like to see some of his son's.

Not knowing his program its hard to believe that bull just did exceptional; without some of the other bulls showing some of those same easy keeping genes. Not to say it's not an exceptional bull that has just out done the others in that area.

Those are some nice looking bulls. I bought my first beefmaster bull in 1974, after 1 calveing season changed all my bulls to beefmaster. I visted Lasater Ranch years ago and they flat out know about their line of cattle.