Largest Terminal bull breed with good marbling ability.

Help Support CattleToday:

gaurus

Reaction score
Is the Charolais the largest Terminal breed with good marbling? I am having a hard time thinking of a British breed that can be used as terminal sire on Angus/Herefords, double muscled breeds don't marble at all and dual purpose breeds like Simmental don't bring as much bone or beef quality as Charolais.

Yes, Charolais is probably the correct answer.
In a small study of 10 Piedmontese.... vs Charolais x Hereford and Simmental x Hereford
The Piedmontese reduced back fat while the marbling scores were the same for all 3 and the Pieds had a very slight
advantage in live weight at slaughter.

Lucky_P is correct. Braunvieh won the carcass contest at Dodge City days for several years in a row. Buyers at the local sale barn don't seem to like the white around the nose...but they look for anything to use against cattle when buying.

Chocolate Cow":2lm14byz said:
Lucky_P is correct. Braunvieh won the carcass contest at Dodge City days for several years in a row. Buyers at the local sale barn don't seem to like the white around the nose...but they look for anything to use against cattle when buying.

You are correct and now during this tough market they are using things I haven't seen them use in a while. Have seen them ask to have Red Angus cut off of Black Angus. Same genetics, same brand, ect just a color difference. Hadn't seen that until recently.

wbvs58":2rgdd655 said:
Shorthorn or Speckle Park are pretty good with marbling and are a pretty good size.

Ken
I believe shorthorns(I will be researching Speckle Parks and Braunvieh now) are around the size of an Angus/Herefords, I am talking about Terminal here, too big to meaty to be replacement heifers

I am from South Texas and I already own Charolaisx herd, I was just thinking out loud here.

Chocolate Cow":x8uv43an said:
Lucky_P is correct. Braunvieh won the carcass contest at Dodge City days for several years in a row.
Wow that is very impressive, but I believe they come from a dairy background? Dairy breeds tend to have excellent marbling, I wonder if they are more like dual purpose breeds like Simmentals.

gaurus":vu3grhng said:
wbvs58":vu3grhng said:
Shorthorn or Speckle Park are pretty good with marbling and are a pretty good size.

Ken
I believe shorthorns(I will be researching Speckle Parks and Braunvieh now) are around the size of an Angus/Herefords, I am talking about Terminal here, too big to meaty to be replacement heifers

I am from South Texas and I already own Charolaisx herd, I was just thinking out loud here.

Char and Beefmaster combine for some good calves that mash the scales.

Limousins have won many carcass competitions and are pretty big, or at least have some pretty big individuals.. Same with the Shorthorns... I would suggest Saler for frame + meat, but I think they're a leaner type

while researching on the marbling abilities of the Braunvieh I found this ribeye cut from a 14 year old colw, I must say I am not very impressed, I mean the older the cow the fatter they get and the more marbling they produce right?
http://blackbraunvieh.com/unique-facts- ... eh-cattle/
DSC_9295-600x401.jpg

gaurus":1vo42l97 said:
I found this ribeye cut from a 14 year old colw,
Who in their right mind tries to judge carcass values for fed calves of a certain breed by cutting up an old slaughter cow? That's like digging a head of lettuce out of the compost pile and then swearing off lettuce because it all tastes like #$%^.

cow pollinater":3lgddirm said:
gaurus":3lgddirm said:
I found this ribeye cut from a 14 year old colw,
Who in their right mind tries to judge carcass values for fed calves of a certain breed by cutting up an old slaughter cow? That's like digging a head of lettuce out of the compost pile and then swearing off lettuce because it all tastes like #$%^.

:lol2:

Believe it or not, Aged beef from 14 year old cows its becoming the new fad for foodies, some breeds marble very well when they age, I am not sure if this what their intent but I see your point for feeder calves

Latest posts