largest size

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What is the current world record size for the Angus breed of cattle?

What is the largest breed of cattle in the world?

What is the smallest breed of cattle in the world?

[email protected]

These all fall into the category of "how high is up", and "what's the difference between a duck"

dunmovin farms

> What is the current world record
> size for the Angus breed of
> cattle?

> What is the largest breed of
> cattle in the world?

> What is the smallest breed of
> cattle in the world?

Hey Dunmoving! You can do better than that...lol. Your previous posts have been great...know ya got it in ya!

My 2 cents worth: Think the Dexter (Irish) breed is the smallest. Cows average about 750 lbs. Bulls average about 1000 lbs.

Others...guess it depends on if you are letting the breeds "grow naturally" or "fatten them for market". I would imagine the vast majority of cows probably are in range of 1,000 to 1,200 lbs +/- one standard deviation to arrive at about 67% of the individuals out ther. On bulls, probably in the 1,600 to 2,000 lb range for the regular sized animals.

[email protected]

Problem is there are minitures of multiple breeds that woun't even way 500 lbs as mature bulls. The Chianina is probably the biggest, but I've seen Charolais at well over 3500 lbs. So, How high is up, whats the difference between a duck?

dunmovin farms

> Hey Dunmoving! You can do better
> than that...lol. Your previous
> posts have been great...know ya
> got it in ya!

> My 2 cents worth: Think the Dexter
> (Irish) breed is the smallest.
> Cows average about 750 lbs. Bulls
> average about 1000 lbs.

> Others...guess it depends on if
> you are letting the breeds
> "grow naturally" or
> "fatten them for
> market". I would imagine the
> vast majority of cows probably are
> in range of 1,000 to 1,200 lbs +/-
> one standard deviation to arrive
> at about 67% of the individuals
> out ther. On bulls, probably in
> the 1,600 to 2,000 lb range for
> the regular sized animals.

you are right the Chianina in average is the biggest and I also have seen big Nelores but in average the Chianina is larger even though in the italians breds the Marchigiana is a large bred too.
> Problem is there are minitures of
> multiple breeds that woun't even
> way 500 lbs as mature bulls. The
> Chianina is probably the biggest,
> but I've seen Charolais at well
> over 3500 lbs. So, How high is up,
> whats the difference between a
> duck?

> dunmovin farms

[email protected]

I think you'll find that the Australian Low Line is the smallest non-miniture breed. It is slightly smaller than the dexter and much more uniform in size overall. Dexters vary too much but have excellent udders. LL are early maturing variation of Angus and come in red or black. They are known for mothering ability, tenderness and very large ribeyes.

And to think, 14 years of sleepless nights before that was cleared up for him.

City Guy":123clqyx said:
I think you'll find that the Australian Low Line is the smallest non-miniture breed. It is slightly smaller than the dexter and much more uniform in size overall. Dexters vary too much but have excellent udders. LL are early maturing variation of Angus and come in red or black. They are known for mothering ability, tenderness and very large ribeyes.
Actually lowlines in United States is no longer as an uniformed breed and there is more various sizes in lowlines nowadays from crossbreeding with Dexters, miniature Herefords, standard Angus and Galloways.

If you want to know what's the smallest cattle breed, it'll be either Zebu or Vechur cattle.

Once a Low Line is crossed it is no longer a "Low Line", IMO. Same for all other purebreds. Exception to that is when red or black Low Lines are bred to Red or Black Angus respectively because Low Lines ARE Angus!! I know the breed associations don't see it that way but history is on my side in this. If the DNA is no longer the same it is because the Angus has changed, not the Low Line!

City Guy":jv8ibnlv said:
Once a Low Line is crossed it is no longer a "Low Line", IMO. Same for all other purebreds. Exception to that is when red or black Low Lines are bred to Red or Black Angus respectively because Low Lines ARE Angus!! I know the breed associations don't see it that way but history is on my side in this. If the DNA is no longer the same it is because the Angus has changed, not the Low Line!
I'm just saying that there are different sizes in lowlines now from crossbreeding with Angus and Dexters. They have open herd book which allowed the percentages to be registered, no matter what color or size they are as long as they have Lowline DNA in them. You can registering an animal with 25% Lowline (that's the minimum of percentage allowed to be registered). The history shows that many breeds have changed over years, including Angus and Lowline.

muddy; I stand corrected, the Vechur is smaller than the Lowline, by far! About the size of a large goat!!

I am under the impression that Zebu is a sub-species not a breed. It includes Brahman, Gyr, Nelore and Boran as well as 60-70 other breeds. I'm I wrong?

City Guy":2nvbqqht said:
muddy; I stand corrected, the Vechur is smaller than the Lowline, by far! About the size of a large goat!!

I am under the impression that Zebu is a sub-species not a breed. It includes Brahman, Gyr, Nelore and Boran as well as 60-70 other breeds. I'm I wrong?
I must be more specific. I meant Miniature Zebu but they are not dwarf type cattle like Vechur or Miniature Hereford. They're also lightest breed (mature cows only weight about 400lbs)

Latest posts