large udders on cow with new calf issues

Help Support CattleToday:

Oregone oliver guy

Reaction score
So this is a mama that just had a calf in the last week or so. Im worried because the calf seems week but is still up and moving. Im wondering if she has an issue or if maybe we need to try and milk her to get the size down so the calf can get milk easier??

The calf is still wabbling like a newbie and its been several days

The cow has always had larger udders and she seems to be moving like normal and doing all the normal new mom things as expected.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

The look the same, the rear ones are smaller

Im debating if i should run out and try to give the calf a bottle. But i dont want to cause issues

Im not going to sit online here and tell you what to do with your stuff but that cow would be gone if it were mine

The calf probably isn't getting much to eat you might want to bottle feed it for a while

Milk her a little and guide the calf to the nipples. Once the calf is weaned, haul the cow to the sale barn and sell her as a slaughter cow. Her udder is pretty bad.

if the calf has not nursed, do not feed it milk. You need to get electrolytes in it asap. Hydrate it day one, then slowly add milk. Meanwhile, milk that cow down so that when you put the calf on it, the teats wont be so big. Bagging or giving the calf milk now if its possible it hasnt nursed, will kill it. It needs hydrated... Its possible the calf nursed some early on, or, does she have a extra teat on the back of her udder? Its still alive because it did at one point get something, but those teats got away from it.

That udder/those teats look worse than one of mine last year: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=99623&hilit=holy+rump+roast

Agree with Cowgirl8; try & give the calf electrolytes - you won't be causing any "issues". If the cow is docile enough try to get the calf latched on, otherwise get her in the chute & work with the calf.

Despite my best efforts, my girls' hind quarters were so badly damaged by mastitis it was painful for her to walk. She raised a whopper of a calf on 2 teats and we sold her. I'm in no position to tell you what to do with your cow but that udder is not going to get any better over time, even if the calf is able to latch on & milk it down. Best of luck & keep us posted.

How many calves has this cow raised?
Unless it raises just an exceptional calf, I am with everyone else--sell her once the calf is weaned, tho to be truthful,even if the calves wean great, I'd still send her to sale. Hard to accurately critique any animal from a photo, but I don't like her rear legs. They aren't terrible, but look kinda posty in the photos.

She is a younger cow for us but honestly her moma had the same issues and i shouldnt have kept this heifer but she slipped through and her bags didnt explode like this till this calf (her 2nd).

Right now the plan is to get the calf some milk replacer to supplement and then in a few weeks sell the cow. Id sell her now but honestly the prices are so bad here its not worth the diesel to even pull the trailer around. Im hoping prices and sales pick up a little in a few weeks

Also I actually think the calf is latching to another heifer that had a calf a while back. i have but havnt caught it in the act yet but if i do ill feel alot better about ousting moma earlier

Thanks for everyones opinion. I will update as things progress.

Don't feel too bad--one of the most difficult parts of raising cattle is culling. We've all had at least one (or some) we kept even tho we knew we probably shouldn't.

greybeard":1k93ranu said:
Don't feel too bad--one of the most difficult parts of raising cattle is culling. We've all had at least one (or some) we kept even tho we knew we probably shouldn't.

Amen.

I wouldn't be too concerned about supplementing it - it may not have had anything yet. You may want to get ready to tube it too if it's that weak. I agree with electrolytes. Bottle of gatoraid if nothing else then start with some watered down milk replacer

jerry27150":2abr8sn4 said:
if calf hasn't had anything to eat, it will be hard to get his stomach working
Exactly.....The problem with a calf in the summer who isnt eating is going to be dehydrated. Give it milk, its body will use up any water it has left to digest it. I'd only bag water with electrolytes for at least a day, then slowly add milk to that...Look at the calfs eyes, if they seem glazed over and or sunk in, its dehydrated..

Oregone oliver guy":2nfvlfkv said:
The cow has always had larger udders and she seems to be moving like normal and doing all the normal new mom things as expected.

Oregone oliver guy":2nfvlfkv said:
her bags didnt explode like this till this calf (her 2nd).

:? :? :? :? :? :?

Latest posts