Large teats - no milk

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
First off – my problem is somewhat self inflicted (should have grown wheels on the cow last yr). She has always raised excellent calves without any intervention, however, her front teats were very very large (& I guess must have gotten larger). She calved this past Wednesday & by the time I got involved it was obvious the calf could not get the nursing thing mastered. To make a long story short, we had to milk the cow some (slow for us) & give her some store bought colostrum via bottle to get her to day 2. On day 2 we got her on one of the normal sized rear teats, & on day 3 we helped her get hooked up with both rear teats. Day 4 saw one of the rear teats nursed without aid, but still hungry for more milk, so we aided again for the other rear teat. We thought it best to work with normal teats as that seemed the most likely for her to get on her own. Day 5 – looks like maybe both rear quarters were nursed (one seemed more that the other) & the calf had no interest in assisted nursing (just wasn't hungry). So things look pretty good but - we got milk from all teats on day 1, did nothing with the front teats on days 2-3 & on day 4 tried to get milk from the front teats – nothing then. Tried again on day 5, still nothing – huge teats, swollen but no milk anymore.

Should I leave well enough alone? Do I need to take some action? I would assume that these were the last to be sucked in past yrs but the fact that we started milk flow on day 1 & did not take anymore for a few days cause a problem? :( :?:

Sometimes the ends of the teats can get frost-bit or covered in manure and it can be difficult to get milk out. You may also have a problem with mastitis. Either way, you'd have problems getting anything out, but I'd at least suggest trying. If she's got mastitis in there that does need to be stripped out - I've recently come to the conclusion that if a cow has a quarter that is "killed" by mastitis, the other quarter on the same side gives less milk. Given that, it definently makes sense to treat any cow with mastitis promptly.

One other thing - even when a cow has a quarter that has previously been "killed" by mastitis (aka blind quarter), you will still be able to milk out a clear, thin substance, maybe not for more than two "squirts", but you will still be able to get something out of that teat. So when you say that there's no milk, I wouldn't assume that there isn't any, you just can't get anything out. She is going to have something in there.

i have a similar cow first 2 years one big teat, last two years two big front teats. the calves get them after 4 days - 2weeks. i have not milked her out, the calf gets plenty from the back two. i think she needs to grow wheels, then in a couple of weeks she is fine and i get soft until next year. they get worse every year, this year one of the back two was alot bigger than last year. one normal teat for two days, then the next biggest, four days three quarters, over one week and still three. the only good thing she has had only bulls, not a single heifer to pass on the bad trait.

It's hard to milk a cow with teats like that also.. you have to really squeeze and pull to get something out. If she hasn't been milked out on those quarters, she probably has some swelling that makes it hard for the milk to come through the teat.

Check the bottom of the teats for the "plug".. that's the hardest part to get out. She may not have a whole lot of milk in the front quarters. But I would try to get them stripped out if at all possible. Once you get them stripped, the teats will be smaller, and the calf may be able to nurse on them as well as the back ones.

Good luck!

jcarkie":2pzz8sup said:
the only good thing she has had only bulls, not a single heifer to pass on the bad trait.

Jcarkie,

Off the subject a little, but if you are selling these bulls as breed bulls? They can pass the same trait! I want to see the moma of a bull I intend to use. If she is all blown out, then I don't want him either.

As far as the subjest on the post, I would have to go with the mastitis in the front two quarters. If she is seedstock I would ship her. If she can raise a calf and you need her, then let her raise the calf, but you will pobably end up with more problems later (weak calves, loose another qtr, etc.), and like Jcarkie did say, you probably don't want her heifers (eat the bulls), unless you feel there was a valid reason for the mastitis (probably not), or if you want to take a chance that a sire who is known for udder quality will elimate that in his offspring. Just remember, that bad udder gene will still be there lurking anyway, and just when you get that really nice replacement or show heifer, it will show it's ugly head again... ;-) !

I have had sevral cows get big tits. As long as there was one to get the calf by they eventually got the others down. I usually sell the cows after this. I have also had acalf die because one wouldn't support it.

Scotty

I just went thru the same deal, Cow was a headache last year but gave one more chance. Had beautiful heifer calf this year that died, could not nurse those big teats. Sold the cow, 2050 lbs x $.72 didnt help the dead calf, but did ease my pain in the ....... :D

Thanks all for the replies, advice, & insights. I decided to take the easy way & do nothing with the large teats (I sure hadn't got the hang of it when I tried repeatedly last week before my post). A couple of days ago, the smaller of the 2 "biggies" had been nursed & was much reduced (better than I could do), while the huge one remains as was. I think even if the last one is not nursed, there will be enough milk to support the calf & the cow "grows wheels" when it comes weaning time.

Lngvew":17eioeum said:
I just went thru the same deal, Cow was a headache last year but gave one more chance. Had beautiful heifer calf this year that died, could not nurse those big teats. Sold the cow, 2050 lbs x $.72 didnt help the dead calf, but did ease my pain in the ....... :D

I've not had any cows much over 1600 lbs (Angus) - bulls certainly. What breed? Did someone buy her for their farm at that price? That's nearly $1500 for a cull cow - couldn't be for hamburger, at least I've not seen slaughter cow prices near that high in our area (maybe mid 60's). Just caught my eye & wowed me.

So jcarkie does that mean she has another lease on life - no wheels grownin on this cow? I know when I saw the second biggest teat go down, I said if the last one goes away as well - maybe I kept her for another calf - no I need to stay strong!

once a big teat, always a big teat. Balloon teats may go down with sucking but come calving time they will always be big. ive always heard this trait is passed on from the bullside and from my observations seems about right.

I was quite happy farminlund, that was cull cow price (hamburger), She was a 9 year old purebred Charolais, I paid $1150 for her as a yearling, raised 4 bull calves, sold 3 for $2000 plus, put one in the freezer (broke leg), kept 2 replacement heifers out of her. I think she made me a dollar or 2. [/quote]

That sure was a huge cow no matter what breed she was, that is more then my bull's weigh. I sure wouldn't want that cow mad at me :shock:

Try an infusion needle or milking tube...every cattleman should have one..they come 3 to a pack from any vet supplier. Insert into the end of the tit and be ready to catch the milk fast!!! If the tit has an opening at all they usually speed up the flow and bring them down quickly...lot easier than milking...I never would have made a dairy man ;-)

i need to stay strong too. every year they do get bigger. but she sure does raise a good calf. no, no, i must be strong. every year they have been bulls, cha-ching !!!! $$$$$