large operation in the south ?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
There is a man about 25 miles from that runs around 450 mama cows and backgrounds around 800 calves a year. Is that considered a very large operation for the southern area? Just curious. It sure seems large to me.

That would definitely be larger than most around here but I can count 6 producers that are on either side of 1000 brood cows but with the exception of one, they would only claim to have about 20 head.

jimmy broussard in south alabama did run around 1500, moma cows, dont know how, or if, the drought effected those numbers, the last few years, but id bet it had too

The largest cow herd in the US is owned by the Deseret Ranch (Mormons) in Floridathey have about 42,000 head.
The Lykes ranch also in Florida has approx 20,000 head.
I know of several here in the panhandle of Florida and lower Alabama running 800 plus head of brood cows.

Hopefully this does not offend anyone but if it is less than 500 head, it is small potatoes. I am small potatoes. I am part time. A lot of the old timers are passing on and ranches are getting broken down in size. Things aren't like they used to be.

Latest posts