Large boned vs. Small boned

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":1p1yg9kc said:
Frankie":1p1yg9kc said:
I like your bull, Chuckie. Who's his daddy?

Buyers generally discount heifers to steers. They put on more fat and generally don't gain as fast in the feedlot.

Heavier weight calves usually bring less per pound.

Lighter boned animals tend to have less muscle than heavier boned. But much of the "heavy" and "light" is in the eye of the beholder. It's the buyer's job to pay as little as he can for a set of calves. They'll discount for anything they can get away with.

Thanks for the pics.
  • Those nice black calves made me smile this rainy morning. :D
he11 having a rainy morning would make me smile
That would be a good thing.

small bone cattle may do fine. but i would'nt select for it . nor big bone either , over a period of years it may come back to bite you . it wasnt but a few years ago gerts had big bone and no muscle just red leather on bones

somn":3hyc45dh said:
Moocow11":3hyc45dh said:
i like smalll frame for feeder calves and larger for show cattle. i dont like beeing docked at the slaugther house for having big cattle. but i like larger framed show cattle, because i can put more weight on them and have better musceling
Can you please explain what it is your trying to say. How is it you are docked for muscle? I sell to packing plants by the pound so I would want more muscle not less. You must sell by the head or something huh?
no we sell by the pound but before the slaughter house takes themthey take a frame score and if they are over a certain frame score they dont pay as much

we are closer to the slaughter house then to a feed lot so we have a grower yard and we bring them from pastuers at weaning and we feed them out to either slaughter or to 750lbs. and when we sell at 750 we go to the sale barn which is about 1.5 hours away

Moocow11":1b15wpjs said:
no we sell by the pound but before the slaughter house takes themthey take a frame score and if they are over a certain frame score they dont pay as much
Well that certainly is an interesting approach to selling fat cattle to a kill plant. Who makes sure the steers legs are square and its head is in normal position and who holds the height stick. I'd make the buyer keeps the animal still and you run the height stick just can't put to much trust in those fat cattle buyers. Is hard for me to imagine an overly fat 4 will not be discounted but a nicely finished 6 or 7 will be discounted.

somn":39zltk1l said:
Moocow11":39zltk1l said:
Well that certainly is an interesting approach to selling fat cattle to a kill plant. Who makes sure the steers legs are square and its head is in normal position and who holds the height stick. I'd make the buyer keeps the animal still and you run the height stick just can't put to much trust in those fat cattle buyers. Is hard for me to imagine an overly fat 4 will not be discounted but a nicely finished 6 or 7 will be discounted.
we dont have some bright people around here. i just stand there and make sure they do it right

Most bull buyers, the first thing they look at is bone. A bull that is to fine boned won't sell well. The guys with larger ranches want a big boned,big footed bull so he can travel well and have a good set of wheels under him. The commercial guys might turn a bull out in a 1000 acre trap and he has to travel a lot of land. He has to be able to keep up and not break down. Heavy animals with fine bone will suffer problems later in life. Most small boned cattle will generally if not watched what they are bred to can hurt there off spring.
Most bull buyers won't take a fine boned bull at half price because if he passes that on to his offspring, they will have trouble selling his offspring.
I have never seen larger boned cattle hold flesh better but I have noticed more muscle and over all mass to larger boned cattle. A true herdsire will need ample amounts of bone. Our latest has added bone that is far more than I ever anticipated. Most bull buyers love his son's because of the large feet and bone.

Latest posts