Large animal Vet

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Have heard it is a shortage of large animal Vets, how close is your nearest large animal Vet. we have 3 in the County I live in. I had to call the mobile Vet today to assist in pulling a calf. The Cow was in a mesquite pasture , the cow would not stand still to get close to, he jumped out of his truck, shot the cow with a dart , pulled a .38 pistol out of his pocket and shot the biggest cotton mouth snake I've ever seen, roped the cow got drug thru the mesquites,tied the cow to a mesquite, then pulled the calf. This was the first time I had used him, I will be using him again, Made me think how lucky we are to have him close by. To top it off he said their was no charge for killing the snake. :cboy:

It used to be about 50 miles, now it's about 4 miles.

Nice young gal ,very smart and thorough ,wife called her this morning when I couldn't get a lamb pulled . She showed up in 15 minutes, right after I got the lamb out.

Named'em Tamed'em":2wqt3j47 said:

Nice young gal ,very smart and thorough ,wife called her this morning when I couldn't get a lamb pulled . She showed up in 15 minutes, right after I got the lamb out.

Did she still charge you?

Only one large animal vet here.

We had 3 fairly close and another couple some 30 miles away. Now one of the close ones is a state vet and can;t do private practice. one of the other close one I wouldn;t use unless it was the end of the world. The third one I don;t think I can afford, he;s more horse oriented and charges by the mile and the hour and the treatment.

4 at one clinic in town 15 miles away. 1 at another in town. 25-30 miles To south west 5-7? They used to be satellite for Transova now 1 of them went 25-30 miles north. And a lot more around that 30 mile mark I am forgetting. We are very lucky. Have cell phone numbers for 6 that are always willing to help

We've had 5 practices over the years that do large animals in my county. Three are getting older and have gone to mostly all small animal, one is gone out of town most of the time doing embryo transfer, and the other practice is made up of three young vets that do large animal almost exclusively. The older vets refer most all their large animal clients to them. We're blessed to have them. Hopefully we will have them with us for many more years.

Alan":ux9rgg2f said:
Named'em Tamed'em":ux9rgg2f said:

Did she still charge you?

Only one large animal vet here.

No, she charged my wife. :)

We got a couple dose of exceed (sp) and some lime sulfur spray for the cows. She was here for a hour, 6 lamb's were born 2 sets of triplets. $150 charge ,totally fine with it as we build a relationship.

That's a great story! None of our vets would go through all that.
My embryologist is very close by, and does all of my cow and horse stuff now. But he does want them caught up and ready to go when he gets there.
The nice part is he will trade labor with me. If he needs help collecting a bull, I go and help him. When my cows are at his place for flushing, I am there to help with everything.

Have one guy in the county that call himself a lg animal vet... Will not answer the phone befor 9am or after 5pm, And not at all on weekends.

Pretty much on your own around here.

Nearest vet is about 60 miles away, but with our roads that's a good 2 hours each way if you're hauling a cow in a trailer, and they won't drive much faster! Pretty much hopeless for getting one out here in time for a delivery.
I guess I have been taught the 4H way.. learn to do by doing! Along with that comes the inevitable "Experience is what you get just after you need it".

I really should learn and equip myself to do a caesarian for the worst case scenarios...

Three large animal clinics at the nearest town, about 8 miles from me. One of them is strictly horses, but the other two are mixed practices. One of them was a 1-man show, but I believe he has a second vet working with him now. The other has two partners, with at least 2 associates, and they have someone on call for emergencies 24/7. If the animal is up and around so you can get it to the clinic they'll open up and meet you there, and if not they'll come to you.

There must be 6 or 8 within 20 miles. There is one who does large animal only out of his house. He only lives about 2 miles from me. I don't use him much because he whines a lot. But he does know his stuff. The one I use is a real good cow vet. The clinic he is out of has 5 vets. Two are full time large animal.

We have four within 15 miles of us, one gossips about everyone when he's here, one is just mean and the one we have been using remodeled everything he owns and upped his farm call fee to $100 from $40 and added $40 for mileage. The fourth one charges $40 to come out. We are changing vets.

Green Creek":2qvj6ux1 said:
We have four within 15 miles of us, one gossips about everyone when he's here, one is just mean and the one we have been using remodeled everything he owns and upped his farm call fee to $100 from $40 and added $40 for mileage. The fourth one charges $40 to come out. We are changing vets.

The one I use is still $40 for the farm call but then he charges $2.10 a minute. I don't stand around and talk to him. It is how fast can I get him from his truck to the chute and back to the truck. But reality is that he is worth it. Fall of 2013 we preg checked 60 heifers in 75 minutes. Worked out to $3.29 per heifer. He is good at what he does.

We have a good vet, he's 20 miles away. But he's ruff around the edges, he always tells us if you have cows your going to lose some. But he will rope one and will do what needs to be done. The best thing is he will answer the phone or get back with you right away. Between him and Milkmaid they saved a cow for us last year.

We have an influx of young lady vets here. I'm happy to see it. On the dairies it's a struggle as it takes a long strong arm to do some of the holstien stuff and a few of the strictly dairy clinics are devoid of female vets for that reason but for my own stock I prefer them. My current vet is even a ranchers daughter so she understands my thinking and the economics in addition to being a he!! of a vet. The way I look at it is that I can do the grunt work part and if I do call a vet I'm going to be right there with them so I want the brain and with the lady vets I get that without the macho my way or highway stuff.

Ours is local...and he's wonderful. The other local vet is small animal only. Therefore, our large animal vet also takes care of our small babies.

cowboy43":2wszg180 said:
Have heard it is a shortage of large animal Vets, how close is your nearest large animal Vet. we have 3 in the County I live in. I had to call the mobile Vet today to assist in pulling a calf. The Cow was in a mesquite pasture , the cow would not stand still to get close to, he jumped out of his truck, shot the cow with a dart , pulled a .38 pistol out of his pocket and shot the biggest cotton mouth snake I've ever seen, roped the cow got drug thru the mesquites,tied the cow to a mesquite, then pulled the calf. This was the first time I had used him, I will be using him again, Made me think how lucky we are to have him close by. To top it off he said their was no charge for killing the snake. :cboy:

I hope to meet that man before I die.

I

Latest posts