Lard, Bacon grease?

Help Support CattleToday:

L.A.

Reaction score
I can't find lard around here, so I've been reading on how to process it. I don't have any pigs yet. My question is what is the difference between bacon grease and lard? The last batch of bacon I bought was mostly fat and I ended up with alot of bacon grease. I'm wanting good biscuits and blueberry pie crust. HELP & Thanks. :?

Look for manteka (not sure if that is spelled right, but it is close...) in your grocery store, Wal-Marts do carry it. Or check with your slaughter house/ processor they should be able to get you some lard.

I use lard for my pie crusts and they are great.
Never use bacon grease for your pie crusts it is too salty and will give your pie a funny taste.
Ask your local store if they can get some in. Ask about Snow Cap.
I used to render my own lard until it got to be a problem getting it from my butcher.

Buy a couple fat low priced pork roasts, cut off the fat and render yourself some lard. Or get some pork fat from a butcher shop. Another way would be to get fresh side pork and fry it, the stuff left in the pan would be lard. :cowboy:

Our butcher shop gives it away for free. They say most ppl don't want it. Have you thought about checking there?

ROCKSPRINGS":dtnt66sh said:
Its sold in five gallon tubs down here. Its not good for you but it is sure good.
Who says it's not good for you? Take a tab of lard or butter and put in one palm, in the other put margerine. The butter/lard will melt. Same thing happens inside your body.

It has been near Fourty years, but I can still taste my moms fried chicken, buscuits and her fruit pies. As I recall, she always cooked with Crisco. Dad liked bacon grease on his greens. When we fry bacon some times we pour the grease on dry dog food. The dogs really like it. We also save the bacon grease in a glass jar. It looks way to nasty for human consumption but it is great for livestock wounds. It helps prevent scaring and keeps the flies away.
Tom.

kerley":5gaa5mqp said:
It has been near Fourty years, but I can still taste my moms fried chicken, buscuits and her fruit pies. As I recall, she always cooked with Crisco. Dad liked bacon grease on his greens. When we fry bacon some times we pour the grease on dry dog food. The dogs really like it. We also save the bacon grease in a glass jar. It looks way to nasty for human consumption but it is great for livestock wounds. It helps prevent scaring and keeps the flies away.
Tom.

Tom - your missing out~!!! Fry up several strips of bacon. Then fry up a couples of eggs in the drippings. Hashbrowns and buttered toast on the side - and it will bring ya back home!!!! :nod:

You can buy it in the 5 gallon buckets for $20.00 in a couple of our local grocery stores. If you don't find it in yours, then you need to look in an area with more of the poor people.

kickinbull":kqkg871u said:
ROCKSPRINGS":kqkg871u said:
Its sold in five gallon tubs down here. Its not good for you but it is sure good.
Who says it's not good for you? Take a tab of lard or butter and put in one palm, in the other put margerine. The butter/lard will melt. Same thing happens inside your body.
:lol2: What does the margerine do?

untitled.jpg

ga. prime":3f5i1eee said:
kickinbull":3f5i1eee said:
ROCKSPRINGS":3f5i1eee said:
:lol2: What does the margerine do?

If you look at the molecular structure of margerine, you will see how much it resembles plastic. That's scary..........

My grandparents ate lard/butter for years and lived to a ripe old age. Notice how many of the 40ish year olds are in the obituary column in the newspaper?

Think about it.

Open your mind to history and tradition.

Close it to big business/big media/big profits.

Food for thought.

kerley":2dblygav said:
It looks way to nasty for human consumption...

Tom.

You are definitely missing out! A little bacon grease, 3 or 4 peeled and sliced potatoes, a little salt and pepper - sheer delight for the palate! :D Bacon grease also makes for wonderful hash browns from leftover baked potatoes - just remove the skins, run them through a shredder, and fry 'em up. I don't recommend this on a daily basis - way too much cholestrol, not to mention calories - but once in a while is ok. ;-)

msscamp":2vp3y4q7 said:
kerley":2vp3y4q7 said:

Tom.

You are definitely missing out! A little bacon grease, 3 or 4 peeled and sliced potatoes, a little salt and pepper - sheer delight for the palate! :D Bacon grease also makes for wonderful hash browns from leftover baked potatoes - just remove the skins, run them through a shredder, and fry 'em up. I don't recommend this on a daily basis - way too much cholestrol, not to mention calories - but once in a while is ok. ;-)
you left out chopping up an onion in them taters and why do ya peel em the peels are mmm mmm good
just scrub em good

Angus Cowman":iy6095ij said:
msscamp":iy6095ij said:
kerley":iy6095ij said:

Tom.

you left out chopping up an onion in them taters and why do ya peel em the peels are mmm mmm good
just scrub em good

Yes, I did forget the onions - sorry. :oops: I hate scrubbing potatoes - by the time I'm done most of the peel is gone anyway - peeling is easier! :lol:

Latest posts