Lard, Bacon grease?

Help Support CattleToday:

L.A.

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
267
Reaction score
0
Location
Wyoming
I can't find lard around here, so I've been reading on how to process it. I don't have any pigs yet. My question is what is the difference between bacon grease and lard? The last batch of bacon I bought was mostly fat and I ended up with alot of bacon grease. I'm wanting good biscuits and blueberry pie crust. HELP & Thanks. :?
 

CKC1586

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
4,351
Reaction score
0
Location
Sunfield, Michigan USA
Look for manteka (not sure if that is spelled right, but it is close...) in your grocery store, Wal-Marts do carry it. Or check with your slaughter house/ processor they should be able to get you some lard.
 

I luv herfrds

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
5,770
Reaction score
0
Location
Montana
I use lard for my pie crusts and they are great.
Never use bacon grease for your pie crusts it is too salty and will give your pie a funny taste.
Ask your local store if they can get some in. Ask about Snow Cap.
I used to render my own lard until it got to be a problem getting it from my butcher.
 

mnmtranching

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
5,061
Reaction score
0
Location
MN
Buy a couple fat low priced pork roasts, cut off the fat and render yourself some lard. Or get some pork fat from a butcher shop. Another way would be to get fresh side pork and fry it, the stuff left in the pan would be lard. :cowboy:
 
A

Anonymous

Our butcher shop gives it away for free. They say most ppl don't want it. Have you thought about checking there?
 

kickinbull

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
474
Reaction score
0
Location
SC KY
ROCKSPRINGS":dtnt66sh said:
Its sold in five gallon tubs down here. Its not good for you but it is sure good.
Who says it's not good for you? Take a tab of lard or butter and put in one palm, in the other put margerine. The butter/lard will melt. Same thing happens inside your body.
 

kerley

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 18, 2007
Messages
2,852
Reaction score
3
Location
Alabama
It has been near Fourty years, but I can still taste my moms fried chicken, buscuits and her fruit pies. As I recall, she always cooked with Crisco. Dad liked bacon grease on his greens. When we fry bacon some times we pour the grease on dry dog food. The dogs really like it. We also save the bacon grease in a glass jar. It looks way to nasty for human consumption but it is great for livestock wounds. It helps prevent scaring and keeps the flies away.
Tom.
 

BeefmasterB

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 2, 2008
Messages
614
Reaction score
0
Location
SE TX
kerley":5gaa5mqp said:
It has been near Fourty years, but I can still taste my moms fried chicken, buscuits and her fruit pies. As I recall, she always cooked with Crisco. Dad liked bacon grease on his greens. When we fry bacon some times we pour the grease on dry dog food. The dogs really like it. We also save the bacon grease in a glass jar. It looks way to nasty for human consumption but it is great for livestock wounds. It helps prevent scaring and keeps the flies away.
Tom.

Tom - your missing out~!!! Fry up several strips of bacon. Then fry up a couples of eggs in the drippings. Hashbrowns and buttered toast on the side - and it will bring ya back home!!!! :nod:
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
You can buy it in the 5 gallon buckets for $20.00 in a couple of our local grocery stores. If you don't find it in yours, then you need to look in an area with more of the poor people.
 

ga. prime

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
3,856
Reaction score
0
Location
So. Cent. Ga.
kickinbull":kqkg871u said:
ROCKSPRINGS":kqkg871u said:
Its sold in five gallon tubs down here. Its not good for you but it is sure good.
Who says it's not good for you? Take a tab of lard or butter and put in one palm, in the other put margerine. The butter/lard will melt. Same thing happens inside your body.
:lol2: What does the margerine do?
 

ga. prime

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
3,856
Reaction score
0
Location
So. Cent. Ga.
untitled.jpg
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
ga. prime":3f5i1eee said:
kickinbull":3f5i1eee said:
ROCKSPRINGS":3f5i1eee said:
Its sold in five gallon tubs down here. Its not good for you but it is sure good.
Who says it's not good for you? Take a tab of lard or butter and put in one palm, in the other put margerine. The butter/lard will melt. Same thing happens inside your body.
:lol2: What does the margerine do?

If you look at the molecular structure of margerine, you will see how much it resembles plastic. That's scary..........

My grandparents ate lard/butter for years and lived to a ripe old age. Notice how many of the 40ish year olds are in the obituary column in the newspaper?

Think about it.

Open your mind to history and tradition.

Close it to big business/big media/big profits.

Food for thought.
 

msscamp

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
0
Location
Wyoming
kerley":2dblygav said:
It looks way to nasty for human consumption...

Tom.

You are definitely missing out! A little bacon grease, 3 or 4 peeled and sliced potatoes, a little salt and pepper - sheer delight for the palate! :D Bacon grease also makes for wonderful hash browns from leftover baked potatoes - just remove the skins, run them through a shredder, and fry 'em up. I don't recommend this on a daily basis - way too much cholestrol, not to mention calories - but once in a while is ok. ;-)
 

Angus Cowman

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
7,157
Reaction score
0
Location
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
msscamp":2vp3y4q7 said:
kerley":2vp3y4q7 said:
It looks way to nasty for human consumption...

Tom.

You are definitely missing out! A little bacon grease, 3 or 4 peeled and sliced potatoes, a little salt and pepper - sheer delight for the palate! :D Bacon grease also makes for wonderful hash browns from leftover baked potatoes - just remove the skins, run them through a shredder, and fry 'em up. I don't recommend this on a daily basis - way too much cholestrol, not to mention calories - but once in a while is ok. ;-)
you left out chopping up an onion in them taters and why do ya peel em the peels are mmm mmm good
just scrub em good
 

msscamp

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
0
Location
Wyoming
Angus Cowman":iy6095ij said:
msscamp":iy6095ij said:
kerley":iy6095ij said:
It looks way to nasty for human consumption...

Tom.

You are definitely missing out! A little bacon grease, 3 or 4 peeled and sliced potatoes, a little salt and pepper - sheer delight for the palate! :D Bacon grease also makes for wonderful hash browns from leftover baked potatoes - just remove the skins, run them through a shredder, and fry 'em up. I don't recommend this on a daily basis - way too much cholestrol, not to mention calories - but once in a while is ok. ;-)
you left out chopping up an onion in them taters and why do ya peel em the peels are mmm mmm good
just scrub em good

Yes, I did forget the onions - sorry. :oops: I hate scrubbing potatoes - by the time I'm done most of the peel is gone anyway - peeling is easier! :lol:
 

Latest posts

Top