Laptop computer suggestions.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We're in the market for a new laptop computer. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, wife just needs one to check in on her website, and have better access to her short term rental platforms.
What would be a good yet economical laptop?

We're in the market for a new laptop computer. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, wife just needs one to check in on her website, and have better access to her short term rental platforms.
I just got my new laptop yesterday. Bought my wife a cheap HP Chromebook a couple of years ago and liked it so much I gifted one to each of my kids. I write, so I bought myself a more expensive piece of junk that is being sent in under warranty in less than a year, so I ordered a Chromebook for myself a little over a week ago. Less than $200. So far the Chromebooks have been more reliable than others we've had. If you save pictures downloaded from a phone be sure the one you order has that capability.

I travel a lot so my laptop gets a lot of abuse in airplanes and has to access the internet in a lot of locations including Australia. I use an HP surface and have for 5 years. It is small, lightweight, tough, the graphics are good and it is superfast. drawback is you have to buy an adapter to hook up to a regular USB, not a big deal and they are cheap but you need one. This one has lasted longer than any I've ever owned and is easy to use. Not the cheapest one out there but or the money the best if you want a good dependable fast computer

Find a laptop that will integrate with your smart phone.
Chromebooks run the Android operating system and I would pair it with an Android phone. Apple iPhones run iOS and go with iPad or Macbook.

There's an american company that makes laptops that are repairable, with schematics available and aren't against right-to-repair.. I think based in Texas.. don't know how their pricing is but being for right to repair puts them high on my list of companies I would like to support

I buy all my laptops used. The last one I bought for myself on Ebay was a Lenovo Thinkpad T490 still in the box. Then, I got 4 more used laptops, three for my kids and one for a friend, from a guy on Next Door. He was starting a little business reselling off-lease laptops from companies. They were Dell Latitudes 7490 models, which are almost identical to Thinkpads T490, and in pristine condition. I paid no more than $250 each.

I always buy business grade laptops like Thinkpad T series or Dell Latitudes. I've had Thinkpads last more than 10 years in excellent working order. They will outlast a cheap laptop from an outlet store in performance and upgradeability.

FYI. Part of my job is to procure all the hardware for my department at work. For work, I also order Dell Latitudes directly from the factory.

If you like, I can put you in contact with the guy who sold me the 4 Dell Laptops. He'll probably ship one to you for $25 to $30. I couldn't believe the ones he sold me were used.

I buy all my laptops used. The last one I bought for myself on Ebay was a Lenovo Thinkpad T490 still in the box. Then, I got 4 more used laptops, three for my kids and one for a friend, from a guy on Next Door. He was starting a little business reselling off-lease laptops from companies. They were Dell Latitudes 7490 models, which are almost identical to Thinkpads T490, and in pristine condition. I paid no more than $250 each.

I always buy business grade laptops like Thinkpad T series or Dell Latitudes. I've had Thinkpads last more than 10 years in excellent working order. They will outlast a cheap laptop from an outlet store in performance and upgradeability.

FYI. Part of my job is to procure all the hardware for my department at work. For work, I also order Dell Latitudes directly from the factory.

If you like, I can put you in contact with the guy who sold me the 4 Dell Laptops. He'll probably ship one to you for $25 to $30. I couldn't believe the ones he sold me were used.
I've really liked Toshiba laptops.. I had a Satellite A40 for work back in about 2005 and it was old at the time, but that thing was tough as nails, more than once it fell from my laptop bag while running to catch a plane. crashed on the floor and skidded along, just pick it back up and good to go again. I currently have an Satellite S11, and well, it's a little slow on power these days, but definitely a quality unit.. One of the last with a hardware serial port, which for a lot of my work is important

I'm following this thread because my laptop is a 2012 model Dell. It works famously. When I took it in to have it upgraded to Windows 10, the folks at the computer repair store told me I had an excellent laptop and would never be able to use all the memory.

I'm computer illiterate, but I know nothing lasts forever, so I'm trying to be pro-active so I know what laptop to buy. I use mine for invoicing with QuickBooks, speadsheets and just basic computer usages.

I've had decent luck with HP Pavilion. Quicken is my accounting software. The main feature I use pretty much requires keeping the software updated. They stopped supporting Windows 7 a couple years ago so a new computer was in order. I never had much luck upgrading operating systems on older technology.

Apple MacBook Pro best bang for the buck - I will look for the obj there is a great company NW Sells leftovers and recondition warrantied… give me a sec…

Aha!! Got it NEWEGG -best deals for new and refurbished apples - good luck !!

Aha!! Got it NEWEGG -beat deals for new and refurbished apples - i

I have to retract my recommendation for an HP Chromebook. I took my other POS in to get it warrantied and had a conversation about the new HP because it wasn't doing what I thought it should do... and found out that it doesn't have what it takes to download my printer system. So I'm returning it and looking for another.
Sorry... Not the fault of the computer, I just don't know enough about them to know what I need.

I've really liked Toshiba laptops.. I had a Satellite A40 for work back in about 2005 and it was old at the time, but that thing was tough as nails, more than once it fell from my laptop bag while running to catch a plane. crashed on the floor and skidded along, just pick it back up and good to go again. I currently have an Satellite S11, and well, it's a little slow on power these days, but definitely a quality unit.. One of the last with a hardware serial port, which for a lot of my work is important
Same here. Had several Satellites and still typing on one now. Sucks that they don't make them anymore.
Apple MacBook Pro best bang for the buck - I will look for the obj there is a great company NW Sells leftovers and recondition warrantied… give me a sec…

I guess you'll have to explain to me how a $1000+ laptop is the best bang for your buck.

Latest posts