Laproscopic AI

Help Support CattleToday:

sewall

Reaction score
Do any of you know if a veterinary degree is required to do laproscopic AI? I was just curious cause I work on a hunting ranch where we raise deer and my boss pays a large amount of money for someone to come do it. Seems like a pretty good thing to learn how to do.

This procedure is used mostly in sheep and I don't know about deer. A vet degree is not required to do Laproscopic AI ---I taught this as a Graduate student some years back --- you can find some good info on this procedure at The University of California @ Hopland Field Station. Another good short book is by Evans, G. and W.M.C. Maxwell. 1987. Salamon's Artificial Insemination of Sheep and Goats. Butterworths. Sydney. ; but at the time when I bought this book there were only 3 available in the World -- I have one and wont sell mine as it took me a year to get it from Australia.

UC is your best bet.
T

According to what I've been told, you can do laparo scopic on your own animals, or oes for others as long as you don't charge anything. If you charge anything, you are considered as practicing without a license. This came from a vet that I have no respect for, but it could possibly be true. I know that some of the best lap. AI tech's in goats are the ones that vets like this are targeting, and a few have been caught. Personally, I think it's absurd, but it might be something to consider.

Latest posts