Landowner problems when leasing

Help Support CattleToday:

damengineer

Reaction score
I am not a beginner, but My landowners around my area seen to not have any common courtesy toward the land I lease to cut hay on. I lease about 200 acres in 2 plots from 2 diffeent landowners. Due to the land here selling for over $7k per acre I cannot afford to buy more land. I am getting too old to pay off a 30 yr note. I lease this land to cut hay on to feed my cattle. It is native bluestem and some has some bermuda grass on it. Both places were in bad shape before I took over. The saller had bluestem but had been cut at ground level and never fertilized for 6 years. I now get over 5 bales to the acre in 2 cuttings. The landowner decided to dump a load of dirt in the middle of the field so his kids could shoot 22 rifles into it. Not to mention if they did this they were aiming at my home. He never said anything until I asked if I was supposed to spread that out or whatever. They never used it and it has been a source of weeds in a field that was weed free for the last 3 years.

Last week I got a call from a neighbor who said someone was mowing the other field I lease for hay. I was 30 minutes away, but when I got there I found the landowners daughter mowing some of the better ground where I get at least 5 bales /acre in 2 cuttings. She decided whe was going to put her horses on about 4 or 5 acres there as she was about to lose the place where she had them... She moved back up here from TX where she was a vet tech. When in TX she gave riding lessons to pay for her 3 horses.... She was going to make these horses pay by giving lessons here. I was never advised of any of this. She kept telling me this was only temporary, then advised that a surveyor was coming out next week to split the field between her Dad and her Uncle who I have been renting from... Of course thie raises a bunch of red flags. Then to really be stupid she mows the entire area where she was going to put those horses so she could see what was there!!!!! I have been cutting it with a sickle swather for the last 3 years...
I cannot afford to fertilize this year. Hay was $50/bale last season and with the fuel and fertilizer costs it will be $75/bale. I told her that every acre she took away cost me at least $250... I didn't seem to make any headway so I left. Her Dad came up and really did not say much... What is wrong with these people?. I don't do anything out of the ordinary on the land unless I talk to them....

I can see that it is time to move to my other farm 70 miles south. Problem is by the time I get things moved in order to sell out, the bottom will fall out of this stupid crazy market. I am 68yrs old. I have a 80 acre development going in next to my 80. It is just getting too crowded.

I feel your pain. I once had a landlord I was renting pasture from call to tell me the bulldozer had just arrived and was starting to clean up the old property fence getting ready to build new ones. This was the first I had heard anything about any of it. I was at work, 45 miles away. My cows could go wherever they wanted, including on a fairly busy road.

I dropped what I was doing and headed that way. Fortunately the cows hadn't strayed too far, and I had an adjoining pasture I could lead them into, but if that hadn't been the case it could have been a big problem. It could have been anyway.

Here in Iowa, a farm land rental or lease automatically renews unless either the landlord or tenant notifies the other in writing that the contract will end. this has to be postmarked by September 1st. for the following years rent. do you have a written or oral agreement? here the tenant has more rights than the landlord in most cases if it goes to court; regardless if written or oral agreement. you will need to check your states laws on farm rental/lease agreements. here the daughter would owe you for damages. good luck and please keep us posted.

I lease about 200 acres in 2 plots from 2 different landowners. Both places were in bad shape before I took over.
She decided she was going to put her horses on about 4 or 5 acres there as she was about to lose the place where she had them... She moved back up here from TX where she was a vet tech. When in TX she gave riding lessons to pay for her 3 horses.... She was going to make these horses pay by giving lessons here. I was never advised of any of this. She kept telling me this was only temporary, then advised that a surveyor was coming out next week to split the field between her Dad and her Uncle who I have been renting from... What is wrong with these people?
It's my Daddy's land and I can do whatever I want... typical Texan pain in the -- attitude.

Obvious breech of rental contract agreement.
Both places in bad shape before I took over = too bad.
Any improvements made to land by renter goes to landowner unless in written contract with both parties agreeing to it.

You are owed a deduction in rental price. How much and how you want to go about negotiating it would depend on how much you want to keep renting it next year and beyond.

p.s.
Don't waste your time with the daughter other than being polite.
Negotiate only with whoever has the authority to make an agreement, the father and uncle.

Last edited:
It's my Daddy's land and I can do whatever I want... typical Texan pain in the -- attitude.
Not for this born and raised Native Texan.
I had mine leased out for over a year and I knew/understood the renter had full control over the pasture except for the clause in our lease that stipulated he was to utilize the cross fences/gates, rotate pasture and not to overgraze any of the pastures down to bare dirt.

While it was under lease, a friend of mine asked if she could put her 3 horses in the pasture closest to the house while they did some work on her fences and sprayed some herbicide. Told her it was fine by me but I would have to clear it with the cow lease guy first.

Finding a good renter for pasture is sometimes just as hard as finding one for renting a house. I had a pretty good one.

Not for this born and raised Native Texan.
While it was under lease, a friend of mine asked if she could put her 3 horses in the pasture closest to the house while they did some work on her fences and sprayed some herbicide. Told her it was fine by me but I would have to clear it with the cow lease guy first.
But she wasn't your daughter. My comment was directed at the spoiled daughter.
She knows daxm well the land was rented out and about tenant's rights. Her actions reveal she is accustomed to bullying to get whatever she pleases.

op asked:
What is wrong with these people?
Lack of discipline, the daughter needed to be disciplined long before this.

Last edited:
I have leases on enough places I'd have to sit down with a pencil to list them.
Alot of little hay deals and some bigger pasture. I also lease out grazing on 235 acres I own in lampasas/mills county.
A grazing lease or haying lease typically does not give you total control of the property. I've learned to not count on what I don't own. I certainly wouldn't be upset over a landowner setting up a backstop for target practice on his land.

My biggest grip would be the landowner that wants me to stop and bs for a couple hours every time I check cows.

I am not a beginner, but My landowners around my area seen to not have any common courtesy toward the land I lease to cut hay on. I lease about 200 acres in 2 plots from 2 diffeent landowners. Due to the land here selling for over $7k per acre I cannot afford to buy more land. I am getting too old to pay off a 30 yr note. I lease this land to cut hay on to feed my cattle. It is native bluestem and some has some bermuda grass on it. Both places were in bad shape before I took over. The saller had bluestem but had been cut at ground level and never fertilized for 6 years. I now get over 5 bales to the acre in 2 cuttings. The landowner decided to dump a load of dirt in the middle of the field so his kids could shoot 22 rifles into it. Not to mention if they did this they were aiming at my home. He never said anything until I asked if I was supposed to spread that out or whatever. They never used it and it has been a source of weeds in a field that was weed free for the last 3 years.

Last week I got a call from a neighbor who said someone was mowing the other field I lease for hay. I was 30 minutes away, but when I got there I found the landowners daughter mowing some of the better ground where I get at least 5 bales /acre in 2 cuttings. She decided whe was going to put her horses on about 4 or 5 acres there as she was about to lose the place where she had them... She moved back up here from TX where she was a vet tech. When in TX she gave riding lessons to pay for her 3 horses.... She was going to make these horses pay by giving lessons here. I was never advised of any of this. She kept telling me this was only temporary, then advised that a surveyor was coming out next week to split the field between her Dad and her Uncle who I have been renting from... Of course thie raises a bunch of red flags. Then to really be stupid she mows the entire area where she was going to put those horses so she could see what was there!!!!! I have been cutting it with a sickle swather for the last 3 years...
I cannot afford to fertilize this year. Hay was $50/bale last season and with the fuel and fertilizer costs it will be $75/bale. I told her that every acre she took away cost me at least $250... I didn't seem to make any headway so I left. Her Dad came up and really did not say much... What is wrong with these people?. I don't do anything out of the ordinary on the land unless I talk to them....

I can see that it is time to move to my other farm 70 miles south. Problem is by the time I get things moved in order to sell out, the bottom will fall out of this stupid crazy market. I am 68yrs old. I have a 80 acre development going in next to my 80. It is just getting too crowded.
Your landlords are STEALING from you. If you have a lease in writing you should contact them and insist on your rights. Now it's too late with the daughter mowing nd wasting your hay. But you should still be able to insist on the value of the hay lost and any expenses you've incurred... if your agreements are in writing.

Courtesy is no longer a priority in our society and a lot of people don't practice it without a reality check.

This pisses me OFF. There are times I wish I was a lawyer. (ick)

What does you paper work say?

No need to fan the flames. Cooler heads will prevail and I assume lease payment 1/2 in spring 1/2 in fall gives him plenty of leverage to negotiate after he determines what his damages actually are.
Theft is theft...

And what makes you think there is a split lease payment?

And I missed saying that if the lease is on paper he should have called the local sheriff and had the daughter evicted immediately. Then he would have an official record of the damages.

Obvious breech of rental contract agreement.
Both places in bad shape before I took over = too bad.
Any improvements made to land by renter goes to landowner unless in written contract with both parties agreeing to it.

You are owed a deduction in rental price. How much and how you want to go about negotiating it would depend on how much you want to keep renting it next year and beyond.

p.s.
Don't waste your time with the daughter other than being polite.
Negotiate only with whoever has the authority to make an agreement, the father and uncle.
A daughter moved back... home... by her parents... who have no problems with her actions... from Texas...

Are you dumb enough to actually see Texas as the problem?🤔

Maybe she got sent her back because she pulled the same stuff here?

Theft is theft...

And what makes you think there is a split lease payment?

And I missed saying that if the lease is on paper he should have called the local sheriff and had the daughter evicted immediately. Then he would have an official record of the damages.
There's a old saying about throwing out the baby with the bath water that might apply here.

The op has posted every thing but what matters. What is in the written lease? Does it give you exclusive rights? What are the exceptions if any?

Did you cut a check for the upcoming year already? Do yall have and x amount per acre agreement? That could act as a contract.

All the hurt feelings in the world won't hold people accountable.

From the information given so far there is no way to conclude either owner has done any thing wrong.