land values

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What is typical cattle grazing/pasture selling for around the country/world? I'm running cattle on property that was once rural, but has yeilded to urban sprawl, and the offers to buy are unbelieviable. Just wondering about re-locating .

[email protected]

> What is typical cattle
> grazing/pasture selling for around
> the country/world? I'm running
> cattle on property that was once
> rural, but has yeilded to urban
> sprawl, and the offers to buy are
> unbelieviable. Just wondering
> about re-locating .

DRB

I'm in Northeastern Montana. A lot of the land around here is being bought up by corporation interests or hunters groups. The last sales I heard of were:

Pasture land- $160 Acre- this pasture takes between 20 and 30 Acres to run 1 pair for 6 months.

Dryland farmland- $400-500 Acre

Irrigated bottomland- $1000- 1200 Acre.

Forget Florida. I've resorted to leasing pasture. The cheap stuff in my area is $7000 per acre unless you buy a huge piece. Then you might luck out to $4000 per acre. But then we can do 3 acres per pair if it is improved pasture.

> What is typical cattle
> grazing/pasture selling for around
> the country/world? I'm running
> cattle on property that was once
> rural, but has yeilded to urban
> sprawl, and the offers to buy are
> unbelieviable. Just wondering
> about re-locating .

> DRB

> I'm in Northeastern Montana. A lot
> of the land around here is being
> bought up by corporation interests
> or hunters groups. The last sales
> I heard of were:

> Pasture land- $160 Acre- this
> pasture takes between 20 and 30
> Acres to run 1 pair for 6 months.

> Dryland farmland- $400-500 Acre

> Irrigated bottomland- $1000- 1200
> Acre.

It takes 20 to 30 acres to run one pair? I thought it was bad here in south (very hot and dry) Texas. How much hay do you feed?

[email protected]

> It takes 20 to 30 acres to run one
> pair? I thought it was bad here in
> south (very hot and dry) Texas.
> How much hay do you feed?

Terri

20-30 acres per pair is the good land. We have some pastures up here that take 70-100 acres per pair or more. This winter we are going through lots of hay. Snowcover since Oct.26th so many have been feeding since then. Feed about 25-30 lbs of hay per cow a day- unless it gets really cold (10-30 below )then they go through about 50lbs a day. They're predicting another week or two of 20-30 below weather now- sure eats up haystacks fast.

Try the central coast of California. We just bought a 470 acre cattle ranch for $1,000,000! No improvements but lots of water. Now I have to decide what kind of cattle to raise.

[email protected]

Here in Oklahoma it depends on where and how much land you're looking for. I've talked to a couple of people in the last few years who sold out and moved here. One was from Wyoming and one from Maryland. They both sold their places, bought more land and fewer problems with developers, tax assessors, and the EPA here than where they came from.

> Try the central coast of
> California. We just bought a 470
> acre cattle ranch for $1,000,000!
> No improvements but lots of water.
> Now I have to decide what kind of
> cattle to raise.

I'll sell you some!!!

[email protected]

Latest posts