Land sales & Taxation

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Why do we care if it's in ag or not. Less land in ag means less competition... right??
I see your point with that statement, and true for the current folks in the short term. I’m concerned about future potential as far as the country’s ability to produce as much food domestically as possible.

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
Aren’t corporations people? They are made up of people.
The definition of corporations and how the law applies to them has been perverted again and again by lawmakers. A corporation is a legal fiction and was originally intended to be treated just like a person. They should be taxed like a person and should be treated as a single person. For instance, why are there different rules as to political donations from a corporation and a person?

Too many corporations avoid paying any tax altogether because different rules apply to them. IMO they should be taxed just like any other person is taxed. Exxon should have no more rights than any man or woman on the street. Sadly money talks in Washington.

SmokinM

Reaction score
The definition of corporations and how the law applies to them has been perverted again and again by lawmakers. A corporation is a legal fiction and was originally intended to be treated just like a person. They should be taxed like a person and should be treated as a single person. For instance, why are there different rules as to political donations from a corporation and a person?

Too many corporations avoid paying any tax altogether because different rules apply to them. IMO they should be taxed just like any other person is taxed. Exxon should have no more rights than any man or woman on the street. Sadly money talks in Washington.
I cant explain all the rules to you but i can tell you who makes those rules. There is a very good reason political donation rules are different, politicians make the rules.

As to who gets taxed it has been explained on here a million times. You and i will pay any taxes levied on corporations same as we pay for their employee raises and everything else. You can tax Amazon 50% tomorrow and by Friday a.m there will be a 50% price increase on what they sell. Plain and simple. A flat rate sales tax however hits those that make the most and spend the most in a direct and fair proportion. It also gets those that freeload at the bottom paying their fair share.

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
So we are going to punish all the corps since a few may be abusing it for political reasons? That makes a lot of sense. Kind of like defunding police for a couple cops abusing their job.

Welcome to modern America.

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
I cant explain all the rules to you but i can tell you who makes those rules. There is a very good reason political donation rules are different, politicians make the rules.

As to who gets taxed it has been explained on here a million times. You and i will pay any taxes levied on corporations same as we pay for their employee raises and everything else. You can tax Amazon 50% tomorrow and by Friday a.m there will be a 50% price increase on what they sell. Plain and simple. A flat rate sales tax however hits those that make the most and spend the most in a direct and fair proportion. It also gets those that freeload at the bottom paying their fair share.
I agree totally.

SmokinM

Reaction score
I will add that you will notice none of these politicians ever really promote a flat sales tax. They use their usual guise that it “ hits the working class to hard” but the truth is it eliminates all the loopholes and tax shelters they and their cronies use.

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Wouldnt it hold true that if things were 50% more at one place, that folks would buy from places that aren't 50% more....

Like the little guys that used to be everywhere and worked hard for a living to support their family?

I think Big corporations are on the verge of monopolies myself.

It's nice to reminisce about what rural America used to be. But I think it would take way too much effort from lots of people all over this country to even think about getting back to the way things used to be.
The political bs will always get in the way.

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
So we are going to punish all the corps since a few may be abusing it for political reasons? That makes a lot of sense. Kind of like defunding police for a couple cops abusing their job.

Welcome to modern America.
No one is talking about punishing them. Just close the loopholes and make them pay their fair share. A corporation, no matter how big, should be treated just like everyone else.

Davemk

Reaction score
Since our government has us 30+ trillion in debt that has to come from somewhere, with certain kinds of land use regulations being un-American in principle, with the price of land skyrocketing, with one particular generation adding to their bonanza they've enjoyed from this country, with the Gen X & younger generations priced out of being first generation farmers, with vertical integration & all the other sundry ways corporations are taking over our daily lives, is it time for a "Homestead Tax"?
Wherein a seller could sell to a "owner/ tenant" who would actually live on the property and farm, but when the sale is to a: Corporation/ absentee landlord/ foreign sovereign wealth fund/ other entity that:
The SELLER pays, say, a 20% tax?

And I don't want to hear "COMMUNISM" because you know damn well that money is coming from SOMEWHERE, and as a small manufacturer it's ridiculous that they want it to come from me when people who bought property 40 or 50 years ago for $120 an acre are selling it for 5-10K per acre.
Because you are jealous and entitled you think that somebody should have to pay more taxes? That is some serious communist bullshit.

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
So corps are evil because they legally try to decrease what they pay in taxes? 😂 who doesnt do that?

... and what does that have to do with the OP and families owning land or a business in a corp?

You articles all referred to Fortune 500 companies.

greybeard

Reaction score
Everyone is in favor of other people's legal loopholes being closed. Never yet seen a single person say they want their own closed.

It's much like the "tax the rich!" cry. To someone... anyone less affluent or less successful, each of us is 'rich' in their eyes.

First they came for the super rich industrialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a super rich industrialist.

Then they came for the families that inherited great swaths of land and wealth, and I did not speak out— because I was not of a family that inherited or bequeathed great swaths of land and wealth.

Then they came for the self made successful people of moderate means , and I did not speak out—because I was not a self made successful person of moderate means.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
I n
So corps are evil because they legally try to decrease what they pay in taxes? 😂 who doesnt do that?

... and what does that have to do with the OP and families owning land or a business in a corp?

You articles all referred to Fortune 500 companies.
I never said evil. I also never said they were doing anything illegal. All I said is the law needs to be changed to make it equitable.

SmokinM

Reaction score
I n

I never said evil. I also never said they were doing anything illegal. All I said is the law needs to be changed to make it equitable.

It is equitable, every individual in this country legally is entitled to open a corporation and reap those same benefits. Risk what you have, put your butt on the line for when it goes wrong and put in the hours when everybody else has gone home and you can get pass thru tax benefits too.

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
I'm Small Potatoes but some of these tax incentives are there to keep people running companies. The bureaucratic BS that a business owner or Corporation has to abide by is crazy. I have one Full time employee just doing government taxes, reports, L&I, employment security etc. The tax relief is a small benefit.