Land price shock

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest":ouxf21is said:
What value does adding fence and all that add to a place? Is it substantial or do people kind of expect it when it comes to country properties now days?

Definitely not what it costed to put in but can help a tad. If you did work yourself then better roi but if fence already adequate then I'd say it's a waste of money.

NECowboy":3iznvavy said:
Bestoutwest":3iznvavy said:
What value does adding fence and all that add to a place? Is it substantial or do people kind of expect it when it comes to country properties now days?

Definitely not what it costed to put in but can help a tad. If you did work yourself then better roi but if fence already adequate then I'd say it's a waste of money.

We moved in and the ground was just an alfalfa field. We've fenced some and planted a bunch of pasture grass. It's a pain putting all that stuff in.

Your prices are LOW... Around here, regardless of the size, you're looking at $300,000 to buy anything that's considered "acreage" regardless of how good it is or the size... (like a 6 acre hillside with a house and barn).. Anything that's into a commercially viable possibility is into the millions.

If you want to pay less you gotta got go 40 miles out of town on unmaintained roads with no power grid

Nesikep":1zg2g22u said:
Your prices are LOW... Around here, regardless of the size, you're looking at $300,000 to buy anything that's considered "acreage" regardless of how good it is or the size... (like a 6 acre hillside with a house and barn).. Anything that's into a commercially viable possibility is into the millions.

If you want to pay less you gotta got go 40 miles out of town on unmaintained roads with no power grid

Nesikep how far are you from Vancouver? I read articles about how insane housing prices are there with foreign investors driving up prices to the point they are unaffordable to those who work there. Is there a spillover effect to rural bc?

Bestoutwest":xgx67wsw said:
NECowboy":xgx67wsw said:
Bestoutwest":xgx67wsw said:

We moved in and the ground was just an alfalfa field. We've fenced some and planted a bunch of pasture grass. It's a pain putting all that stuff in.

Hey it's quality time for you, your wife and kids to hang out. It's exercise and getting away from the stress of your day job. That's how my wife and I view it!

NECowboy":2wrgqqfu said:
Nesikep":2wrgqqfu said:

Nesikep how far are you from Vancouver? I read articles about how insane housing prices are there with foreign investors driving up prices to the point they are unaffordable to those who work there. Is there a spillover effect to rural bc?

I am not Nesi but by my guess he has to be a couple hundred miles from Vancouver.

NECowboy":ayqhfrpx said:
Hey it's quality time for you, your wife and kids to hang out. It's exercise and getting away from the stress of your day job. That's how my wife and I view it!

This is very true. What I especially love is the view of the mountains. The only downfall is the cost of everything.

Bestoutwest":k3y3gbqp said:
NECowboy":k3y3gbqp said:

This is very true. What I especially love is the view of the mountains. The only downfall is the cost of everything.

Living your dreams out is never cheap, that's what keeps you working!

As the crow flies it's a little over 100 miles.. about 200 if you're driving though.. We're about 100 miles from Kamloops as well, a small city of about 100,000 people or so.

Yes, rents are absurd in Vancouver, $1000/month might get you a dodgy basement suite in suburbia.. most city lots are worth $1M.. I know a developer, he is working on a property that is nothing but a cliff overlooking the ocean.. The lot was $3M, it'll be $10M by the time the geotech lets anyone put a house on it, and it'll be a $15M place

Nesikep":3ju5tujf said:
Yes, rents are absurd in Vancouver, $1000/month might get you a dodgy basement suite in suburbia.. most city lots are worth $1M.. I know a developer, he is working on a property that is nothing but a cliff overlooking the ocean.. The lot was $3M, it'll be $10M by the time the geotech lets anyone put a house on it, and it'll be a $15M place

What'll they figure it will be worth when it falls in the ocean? :lol2:

Bestoutwest":2r9k5br7 said:
Nesikep":2r9k5br7 said:

What'll they figure it will be worth when it falls in the ocean? :lol2:
Underwater dwellings seem to be very popular!

I have been shopping for a place. I saw one about the size I am looking for in Central Oregon. A couple hundred acres irrigated. The price tag was 24 mil. I thought that has to be a mistake so I looked at it online. I think I would need a GPS to find my way around in that house and probably a golf cart to get from one end of the house to the other. Who spends that kind of money on a house?

I wish I would have been born rich instead of so darn good looking......

Dave":3cb9tg01 said:
I have been shopping for a place. I saw one about the size I am looking for in Central Oregon. A couple hundred acres irrigated. The price tag was 24 mil. I thought that has to be a mistake so I looked at it online. I think I would need a GPS to find my way around in that house and probably a golf cart to get from one end of the house to the other. Who spends that kind of money on a house?

If I had it my way, I'd have a 900 sq ft house on 500 acres instead of a 2,000 sq ft house on 50. What's the point of a big fancy house? Unless you're the Duggers it doesn't matter how many rooms you have.

Bestoutwest":1vqr9ceo said:
Dave":1vqr9ceo said:

If I had it my way, I'd have a 900 sq ft house on 500 acres instead of a 2,000 sq ft house on 50. What's the point of a big fancy house? Unless you're the Duggers it doesn't matter how many rooms you have.

This. I'd take a 90 sq ft house on 5,000 acres. Ok maybe thats a little small even for those tiny houses. But just imagine all the head you could run!!

I'd love to travel someday to Mongolia and stay in a yurt. See what nomadic life and open range is really all about.

I'd love to travel someday to Mongolia and stay in a yurt.
I did that for about a year, more or less, and as close to Mongolia as I ever want to get.
Take my word for it--camping in a tent is great--livin in one for any length of time is not all you might imagine it would be.

greybeard":1hx687rn said:
I'd love to travel someday to Mongolia and stay in a yurt.
I did that for about a year, more or less, and as close to Mongolia as I ever want to get.
Take my word for it--camping in a tent is great--livin in one for any length of time is not all you might imagine it would be.

Nice. What was that experience like? Yeah I would think a week, two tops would be all id want to see of it.

I spoke with 4 realtors in my area and all of them think he is asking double or more for it. I went as far as having the timber looked at and there is not enough there to make it worth cutting.

Latest posts