Land price shock

Help Support CattleToday:

JSCATTLE":3n1y18ln said:
Heck with these kinda prices I might get the batwing out and clean mine up .. I think a forsale sign would look real nice out front ..
Just make sure you have a tax relief plan--profits can be taxed pretty dang high by IRS.

greybeard":2ueiqx3c said:
Unless I misunderstand the statute, you can no longer transfer landlocked parcels without a deeded easement included on survey, or, if transfer of property landlocks someone else. It was a slight holdup when I sold the property I mentioned earlier.

I certainly wouldn't argue that. The title company has it right now and hasn't mentioned that.

slick4591":2cpkifw2 said:
TexasBred":2cpkifw2 said:
Sounds like this area. So many folks from DFW metroplex wanting to move out into the country you don't dare quote a price unless you really want to sell. AND they have the cash.

I have a deal like this going right now. My brother and I own 8.43 acres of bottom land. It's landlocked, but we've never had a problem with the guy that owns the entry so we have never pushed it. There's a tank on it that won't hold water, so we've never fixed the fence and ran cows on it. It stays wet a long time after a good rain, so I don't think you could build. Most we've done with it is cut hay one year.

Six or seven months ago a guy knocked on my brother's door and made an offer of 30k on it. Brother called me and I said no. Guy came back a little later with a 35k offer and I still said no. In the mean time I told the north boundary neighbor who had said (years ago) he wanted first bid if we ever sold it and he back out at that price. Anyway, the other guy came back a couple of weeks ago with 50k and we jumped on it. (Actually, 40k would have bought it.) We disclosed all the problems we know about the property so I think we'll all be tickled when we sign the papers.
Can't resist that arm twisting but just so long then you gotta have a little relief. Good job.

Easements are a pain in the butt.

My farm, has been in our family for many years. Well over 200. My grandmother got cancer way back in the 40's. I don't know if they didn't have health insurance, or health insurance just wasn't a common thing back then. Anyway, long story short, after my grandmother passed away, my grandfather deeded 45 acres of the farm to the hospital. That was to completely settle the hospital bill. The mayor of this town ended up buying the 45 acres from the hospital (not implying something shady went on, I think it was just a coincidence). His son inherits it at some point. I end up buying the remainder at some point as well. Neither deed calls for an easement. Access has always been allowed up the side of my property. They never come to the 45 acres themselves, but they allow a bunch of hunting and fishing. So I'm stuck with yahoos I don't know driving through my property constantly. Some can't seem to stay on the gravel road, (that I maintain). It's a point of much contention for me, for many years. I finally got the chance in 2009 to buy the 45 acres. I count the day, that I was able to lock that gate as one of my crowning achievements in life. Largely, because I was able to put the homeplace back in one piece, and partly because I was going to end up shooting somebody for driving on my grass. I vow to never an easement again.

Bigfoot":1fcraulg said:
Easements are a pain in the butt.

My farm, has been in our family for many years. Well over 200. My grandmother got cancer way back in the 40's. I don't know if they didn't have health insurance, or health insurance just wasn't a common thing back then. Anyway, long story short, after my grandmother passed away, my grandfather deeded 45 acres of the farm to the hospital. That was to completely settle the hospital bill. The mayor of this town ended up buying the 45 acres from the hospital (not implying something shady went on, I think it was just a coincidence). His son inherits it at some point. I end up buying the remainder at some point as well. Neither deed calls for an easement. Access has always been allowed up the side of my property. They never come to the 45 acres themselves, but they allow a bunch of hunting and fishing. So I'm stuck with yahoos I don't know driving through my property constantly. Some can't seem to stay on the gravel road, (that I maintain). It's a point of much contention for me, for many years. I finally got the chance in 2009 to buy the 45 acres. I count the day, that I was able to lock that gate as one of my crowning achievements in life. Largely, because I was able to put the homeplace back in one piece, and partly because I was going to end up shooting somebody for driving on my grass. I vow to never an easement again.
Should never be a problem with individuals but when a pipeline company or power company wants one I assure you they'll get it. You will get paid however. :nod:

I had this place sold for 4 times what I paid for it and my wife said no. So I said screw it a gave my half to my son. Women are very hard to please, and have worms in there brains sometimes.

What value does adding fence and all that add to a place? Is it substantial or do people kind of expect it when it comes to country properties now days?

Bestoutwest":33pziatm said:
What value does adding fence and all that add to a place? Is it substantial or do people kind of expect it when it comes to country properties now days?
Good fence and gates should add some value if you plan to graze it. Poor fence on the other hand would be more of a liability.

Bestoutwest":woprl072 said:

It does at a little value here but not a huge amount. What really adds value is barns. Seem people ask for the full amount they paid for the barns back with no depreciation of them.

slick4591":2k51qqjg said:
Apparently my sale will go through as is. Close Thursday 10:30 am.
As long as title company will issue the buyer a owner's title policy all should be well.....Just hope he's not thinking he has access IF he decides to cross your place a year from now. Hopefully whoever closes the sell will touch on that.

TexasBred":380zay3w said:
slick4591":380zay3w said:
As long as title company will issue the buyer a owner's title policy all should be well.....Just hope he's not thinking he has access IF he decides to cross your place a year from now. Hopefully whoever closes the sell will touch on that.

He knows it's landlocked. My brother told him the first time he showed up that it was. When the three of us met a couple weeks ago I told him again and disclosed everything bad about the property in the earnest money contract. I even told him good luck on driving in when it was muddy. He can deal with the neighbor about access.

Excuse me. I have another cow to buy. lol

RanchMan90":3p60kwij said:
slick4591":3p60kwij said:
Congrats! Are you going to invest in cattle? Lol

A little. There's a Pied heifer I'm waiting on in Georgia to know if she's pregnant or not and I've located a Parthenaise breeder in Florida I'm emailing about heifers.

Bestoutwest":1cluv3zp said:
Depends on the buyers around here. The young city (Houston) folks that looked at my place never even looked at the fences, but the older ones, that know how much time and $$ is tied up in fences looked and walked at every foot of it and at every gate--including the guy that ended up high bidder. He made the comment the fences were in better shape than the horse ranch he has out around Schulenberg, so I have to guess it did add some value, even tho one side of the property has a fence I built in 1965.

Water source is also a selling point--pond or tank as we call them here.