Land lease Question

Help Support CattleToday:

warden":1wyaygiu said:
Hello need some help! I just signed a contract or lease a farm for 3 years the day after i signed it i found out i had a better farm to lease and now dont want to lease this farm The lady who owns the farm is not as nice as most people would be but is throwing a fit when i told her i didnt want to lease it and told me i was going to uphold the lease or she was taking me to court i tried to explain it to her but she said i was going to uphold the contract or going to court i must bush hog the farm keep fence in repair and keep the fence rolls clean i was wondering if there ius a way i can get out of this lease legally. i want to concentrate my efforts to this farm close to my house and it is much better farm i know i screwed up and signed it so i guess i will have to do what i agreed to but i just messed up and made a mistake. What can she do legally and am i stuck. Any advise or help would be appreciated,. Thanks

My response here is to the original post in this now 3 page thread. I've read it through.
If you want out of the lease, negotiate a cash settlement with the landowner. She has real expense involved in finding a new renter plus the time she wasted on you. If it was written down (the lease) then she can (and should) take you to court.
A career in law enforcement makes one very aware that there are always loopholes in the law. And you came to the board asking us to find you a loophole. It went sour for you from there.
It goes without saying that there are frauds in the cattle business. Another post on this forum is discussing a purchase of mortgaged cattle. But, generally, cattlemen are going to do what they shake hands on. I've been flattered a number of times in my career by businessman who tell me "No problem. Cattlemen's checks are always good." When you walk away from your deal with this landowner you are making business just a little tougher for everyone else.
You must not be running for re-election. Don't you think this landowner is going to tell the tale of her dealings with you often and loudly? How many votes does it take to swing an election there?

Well let me tell you i will am re elected for another term so i have 4 more years and no one ran against me cause they know i am honest and do a good job i wasnt trying to write a complete sentence just like now i am just typing fast and really dont care if i spell right i have a college degree probally more than most of you but anyway you all can bash me all you want cause i really dont care all that matters is the people who know me and trust me to operate multi million dollar detention facility. but anyway i dont need anymore of your alls opinions i know the situation and you dont so anyway but i will be sure to keep my word and tell you who wins ;) To bad you all cant vote against me isnt it :lol:

The lady that i have the lease with lives in missouri but you can come to my town and ask anyone about her even her sister and she will tell you the devil cant get along with her and all she wants to do is cause who ever rents her farm trouble i didbnt know this until i had signed the lease guess that is my bad and i understand but we wil let a judge and jury decide who is in the right just thought you good folk would like to know that also you all have a nice evening excuse me for not putting in those little commas and periods hope i dont have no dangling particples lol i think i missspelled that one :D

warden":8918sdsr said:
Well let me tell you i will am re elected for another term so i have 4 more years and no one ran against me cause they know i am honest and do a good job i wasnt trying to write a complete sentence just like now i am just typing fast and really dont care if i spell right i have a college degree probally more than most of you but anyway you all can bash me all you want cause i really dont care all that matters is the people who know me and trust me to operate multi million dollar detention facility. but anyway i dont need anymore of your alls opinions i know the situation and you dont so anyway but i will be sure to keep my word and tell you who wins ;) To bad you all cant vote against me isnt it :lol:

You described the situation in your original post.

My local sheriff is honest, hard working and a darn good manager. I took his competence and his ethics for granted until now.

I offered my opinion. I'm outa here. I'll be careful driving in KY.

you folks know if you had an agreement to keep cows there you would be in a mess trying to find a place to move the cows if you are counting on that farm. :mad: you have to be as good as your word dun where are you 8)

dj":259xcn20 said:
but they do so well on that kinda pasture.
Or do you think she looks alittle potbellied?
cowandgrass.jpg
+

Is that a Jersey? Do you have milk for sale? :lol:

I stole it off the internet. I think it was in an article about Russia having to feed it cause the grain(can't remember which grain)crop had a bunch come up in it and they couldn't harvest so were just turning the cows loose in it. I don't know if they drank the milk or not.

warden":3aqgq1o7 said:

yep sure starting to sound like our old friend from outer space and tenn :D :D