Land lease Question

Help Support CattleToday:

warden

Reaction score
Hello need some help! I just signed a contract or lease a farm for 3 years the day after i signed it i found out i had a better farm to lease and now dont want to lease this farm The lady who owns the farm is not as nice as most people would be but is throwing a fit when i told her i didnt want to lease it and told me i was going to uphold the lease or she was taking me to court i tried to explain it to her but she said i was going to uphold the contract or going to court i must bush hog the farm keep fence in repair and keep the fence rolls clean i was wondering if there ius a way i can get out of this lease legally. i want to concentrate my efforts to this farm close to my house and it is much better farm i know i screwed up and signed it so i guess i will have to do what i agreed to but i just messed up and made a mistake. What can she do legally and am i stuck. Any advise or help would be appreciated,. Thanks

Your word is very important in the cattle business. Surely you know that the meaning of a three-year lease is that you'll lease it (and pay) for the three years and take care of the place. Is there a clause in the contract for how to break the lease? Is there a clause that would allow you to sub-lease it to someone else? That's probably the best option as there are many people looking to lease farms.

In any case you need to suck it up and do what you said you would do. That's my opinion.

I can't tell you what to do, but I know what I'd do. It's a bitter pill for you, but it sounds like you will have to swallow it. You did sign the lease. Even if you could get out of the lease legally, you've got to consider how bad you really want to do that. If for no other reason once you damage your reputation, it's harder to get other folks to want to do business with you. If she sues you it won't be long until the only one to make any money out of the deal will be your lawyer. I suppose you could try to find her another tenant and offer her a payment for terminating the lease and see if she'll settle. Or try to put together a deal with somebody else where you could lease both places. I'd also still try to mend fences with her enough to get along. If that fails, I think I'd just have to send her my lease payments in the mail, have as little contact with her as possible and get through the deal.

Good luck. You gave you word so you will need to stick by it. Suplease and do the best you can with it.

warden":rzt8jjqp said:
Hello need some help! I just signed a contract or lease a farm for 3 years the day after i signed it i found out i had a better farm to lease and now dont want to lease this farm The lady who owns the farm is not as nice as most people would be but is throwing a fit when i told her i didnt want to lease it and told me i was going to uphold the lease or she was taking me to court i tried to explain it to her but she said i was going to uphold the contract or going to court i must bush hog the farm keep fence in repair and keep the fence rolls clean i was wondering if there ius a way i can get out of this lease legally. i want to concentrate my efforts to this farm close to my house and it is much better farm i know i screwed up and signed it so i guess i will have to do what i agreed to but i just messed up and made a mistake. What can she do legally and am i stuck. Any advise or help would be appreciated,. Thanks

Yes, you messed up. Maybe you should offer her some money to be let out of the lease. She could then lease it to someone else and come out ahead.

I wasnt having to pay her i just ahd to bush hog the farm and clean fence rows out there was no money. But she put in the lease which i didnt really pay much attention that i cant sale the hay i have to use it for my use i was goig to let a guy cut the hay and give it to him but i guess i cant do that he was going to bushhog it and spray fence for the hay could that be considered for my use if i am trading the hay for his labor?

I wasnt having to pay her i just ahd to bush hog the farm and clean fence rows out there was no money. But she put in the lease which i didnt really pay much attention that i cant sale the hay i have to use it for my use i was goig to let a guy cut the hay and give it to him but i guess i cant do that he was going to bushhog it and spray fence for the hay could that be considered for my use if i am trading the hay for his labor?

warden":2gx363xg said:

Did the lease specify that YOU had to bale the hay? Around here a lot of hay is baled on the halves. The owner gets half the bales, the baler gets the other half. I'd think trading your hay for his labor would be for your own use, but you probably want to read the lease carefully. If it doesn't say you have to feed the hay to your own cows, it seems to me you could use it howerver you wanted. Good luck.....

No it just sayes the only thing that can be grown on the farm is hay and that the hay cant be sold can only be used for my use i just taled to a guy who cuts hay he said it needed to be bushhogged and next spring it would have all kinds of hay he said he would he would cut and rake and roll it for 13.00 a roll so anyway it might work out i hope.

I should have my rear end kicked for doing so i gues the old saying goes you make your bed you have to lay in it lol

What if the day after you had signed the lease she had found someone who would pay more than you and you had not found another farm that was "better"?
What if you buy some cows only to find some better ones the next day do you think the guy you bought them from should take them back?
To be respected a person needs to be mature and keep there word even when it is inconveniant.

Ok i feel bad enough now i get what you all are saying and thanks for being truthful to me

warden":25fem9bq said:
Ok i feel bad enough now i get what you all are saying and thanks for being truthful to me

What did you expect to get when you post in here? Untruth?

The few blatant liars I have seen in here have been found out very quickly.

A few posts back someone asked if you could manage both leases. In this business if you don't dig down deep and find the silver lining in those dark clouds you won't last. ( I hope I am not directly quoting CB with all those copyright laws now )! :lol:

I see profit in your first arrangement, so get your butt in gear and go for both! ( Oh , by the way, 3 years is NOT a long time, and 3 years from now you may wish you were able to renew the first lease ).

As far as the own use thing, make the owner wish that they had profited from all that hay the way you are going to.

What a mess. Good luck.
If you were in my neighborhood or I was in yours.
I might try to relieve your problem. Land with only maintenance costs. Love to do that.

If she won't let you "sell" the hay of that place. Sell it from the other. I don't see anything about cows. Were you going to have to haul the hay off? Or were you planning to stock the place and take the surplus as hay? Just how growed up is it?

I'm with everyone else. The calculator just doesn't add this one up. Free grazing and all you have to do is maintain fences and keep it cleaned? And you want out of your commitment?

Let me tell you a little something Warden. When a good man looks you in the eye and "shakes on it", his word is worth more than a contract or lease or whatever it is you signed. You need to be a man/woman of his/her word. Anything less and your done!

We can all disagree on these boards about issues, but most all of us agree on ethics. Honor your commitments and you will be respected. If you try crawfishing out on your word, no one will forget it. Destroy your credibility and you will regret it.

Im with everybody else, 3 years isnt long at all. I woudl also run both places. Its not costing you anything extra but time and sweat and has the potenial to put a lot of green in your pocket.

Two of the ideas mentioned that I really liked were:

Custom grazing if you cant afford your own stock and Keeping the hay from the one place while selling all teh hay from the other.

Somethign else you might consider is going back to the women, saying yoru sorry and eating a liitle crow pie, then asking her to admend the contract to allow you to sell hay. Depending on why she put that int he contract to begin with you might be able to come to some arrangment. Im pretty sure it has to do with the fact she isnt getting any actual cash out of the deal.

3MR":er2vy0pu said:
Somethign else you might consider is going back to the women, saying yoru sorry and eating a liitle crow pie, then asking her to admend the contract to allow you to sell hay. Depending on why she put that int he contract to begin with you might be able to come to some arrangment. Im pretty sure it has to do with the fact she isnt getting any actual cash out of the deal.

Personally, I suspect her goal is to maintain ag exemption on the property. Otherwise, she wouldn't let it out. If cattle are on it, there is no doubt nor is there any argument. If the appraisers are there and the fields are full of grass beyond the height of needing baling, it is kind of hard to make the hay argument. Cattle are a sure thing.

Latest posts