Has any one ever done this
How did you work it out if so
This would be on top of yearly salary
Some kind of bonus deal for a young man and his family

Has any one ever done this
How did you work it out if so
This would be on top of yearly salary
Some kind of bonus deal for a young man and his family

A man tried to do that around here. He left quite a bit of land, cattle, etc to his long time care taker. The kids sued them, turned them in to the humane society, and all kinds of stuff. It cost a small fortune to defend what was theirs.

Another thing to think about is do you care what happens to the land?
What if he sells. Starts a mobile home park, a junk yard, a meth lab. What if he loses it in a divorce. If it's your home place you might end up with nieghbors you didn't count on.

What if he sells. Starts a mobile home park, a junk yard, a meth lab. What if he loses it in a divorce. If it's your home place you might end up with nieghbors you didn't count on.
And what if your greedy heirs do exactly the same thing? Not saying they will... but there are so many heirs that wouldn't come back and run the place as a farm/ranch nowadays.... and there are way too many examples of the kids/heirs having meth labs and other not so good things on the land whereas a good faithful employee might take alot better care of it. How many heirs/kids have gotten divorces and lost some or most of their property in a divorce... or nearly bankrupted themselves paying off debt for another family member.... or just let it all go to the devil because it was too much work and money to put back into it for the return.....

And what if your greedy heirs do exactly the same thing? Not saying they will... but there are so many heirs that wouldn't come back and run the place as a farm/ranch nowadays.... and there are way too many examples of the kids/heirs having meth labs and other not so good things on the land whereas a good faithful employee might take alot better care of it. How many heirs/kids have gotten divorces and lost some or most of their property in a divorce... or nearly bankrupted themselves paying off debt for another family member.... or just let it all go to the devil because it was too much work and money to put back into it for the return.....
I agree...but if they inherit it that means I'm dead. Doubt I'll notice.

My oldest sister (82) is having trouble with a small piece of land she ended up with after her husband died and the local school district has subpoenaed her. It's less than 20 acres, is completely land locked, she has no wish for it and, she doesn't have sole ownership of it. It was, according to the wishes of late hubby's father, for it to be unevenly divided between her late husband and his cousins. Those heirs aren't willing to give their minor (2 ac each) shares up but have also not been paying their share of Harris County property taxes on it for the last several years. It's a big mess and she just wants out from under it but the school district wants their $$, tho the school district also has no interest in acquiring the property because it's land locked and in flood zone A and they wouldn't be able to sell it either.

Tax value is about $200,000 but the real value way less than that. Located about 200 yards off Hiway 90 between Crosby and Dayton Tx next to Cedar Bayou..
Best thing would be to offer it at fire sale price to the nearby landowners but they are all old and don't want it, but are also unwilling to grant easement across their property and State of Texas won't allow transfer of deed on landlocked property with no easement.

Her lawyers have thrown their hands up, because the cousin heirs won't work with them in any way

Perhaps your sister can set up a trust to protect what ever else she owns, and let all the land owners squabble until they are all gone! Let the fight be between the tax collector and the others. Life's too short to spend much time and money for those kinds of fights.

Perhaps your sister can set up a trust to protect what ever else she owns, and let all the land owners squabble until they are all gone! Let the fight be between the tax collector and the others. Life's too short to spend much time and money for those kinds of fights.
That won't work. The school district is still going to want their $$ every year from my sis for her part, and tho she can easily afford it she just wants out from under it. She has no other property or assets in that county. If that county would just take it, she would probably be glad to just let them have it so her own kids don't have to deal with it when she's gone.

That won't work. The school district is still going to want their $$ every year from my sis for her part, and tho she can easily afford it she just wants out from under it. She has no other property or assets in that county. If that county would just take it, she would probably be glad to just let them have it so her own kids don't have to deal with it when she's gone.
Would the cousins buy out Sister's share?

How do unpaid property taxes work in your area? I thought most places had tax sales. Unpaid property taxes are sold at auction and a lien is placed against the property. Eventually the taxes need to be paid or the lienholder can go to court and file a deed for the property. If Sister wants out, just stop paying.

In Colorado you can pay the taxes on a property that you don't own, and after three years of paying the taxes you can file for a deed for the property (I think it is three years) . My uncle bought some property this way. I think the before the deed is transferred the own has can reimburse you the money for those taxes, if he don't then you own the property.

Partition Lawsuit. The court will either divide it between them (that is very rare) or order it sold and proceeds divided.

For the life of me, I don't understand how a parcel can be land-locked these days. It is not allowed in Tennessee.

Truly appreciate the answers thus far and the concerns for the young couple. Age and greedy heirs are always a concern. My thoughts were some type of land contract at an affordable price per acre at least it would be in some type of legal paperwork. problem would be showing payment as far as time worked (this would or could guarantee good help for at least 5 to 10 more years . heck by then i may be a little below ground level. but would like to see them take a piece they can do as they want with, Even start their own herd or just build a house on.

No meth labs but my great grandma didn't own her place when she died. Left it to my grandmas sister who died first. Her husband sold it. Great grandma lived at least ten years this way. I'd have rather her done what out to pasture is doing at least someone who appreciated it would've got it.

No meth labs but my great grandma didn't own her place when she died. Left it to my grandmas sister who died first. Her husband sold it. Great grandma lived at least ten years this way. I'd have rather her done what out to pasture is doing at least someone who appreciated it would've got it.
As long as my boys are living right they get what's mine when I'm done with it. If they choose to sell it and go live in town that's their decision on their life. I don't expect anyone to continue living my dream.

As long as my boys are living right they get what's mine when I'm done with it. If they choose to sell it and go live in town that's their decision on their life. I don't expect anyone to continue living my dream.
Don't blame you there. Not exactly the same point though.

Latest posts