Lame Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Y2 Cattle

Reaction score
I am new to the board.
I have a holstein bull calf that won't stand up by himself. He is 4 weeks old today. My husband gave him a booster vaccination this morning. Now he can't get up. Last night he was fine, ate like normal. This morning he would not drink his milk replacer. He did drink electrolytes. Any ideas??
Thanks, Megan

Where did your husband stick him? If it was in the hind leg or thereabouts, he may have hit a nerve of some sort.

Alice

Y2 Cattle":e1lrg69k said:
He said he stuck him in the neck area.

Well, that let that out. It does seem really too coincidental that he was vaccinated just this morning. It may very well be unrelated, but hmmmm.

Personally, were it me, at this point I would call a vet and explain what happened. See what the vet says.

Also, do a search on the vaccine. Or, if you still have the vaccine insert, read it.

I don't think I start treating it for anything until I called a vet, tho. This is just my 2 cents worth.

Alice

Does he have any kind of scours? Dehydrated? I wouldn't think he had a reaction to the vaccine, let us know

GMN

Had the calf been having any diarrhea? How about snotty nose or cough? I look for and treat for fever. that gets them down quickest and can be relieved with aspirin. Then head toward antibiotics if breathing heavy.

What booster did he get at four weeks? I'd look at the serum bottle and see what the symptoms for shock are...could be having a reaction.
DMc

I would bet it is the vaccine. Seems awful young for a booster. Has he had other shots? What was the vaccine for? I would call the vet and also possibly give some Dex / Banamine depending on the symptoms.

GMN":wnprgyyj said:
Does he have any kind of scours? Dehydrated? I wouldn't think he had a reaction to the vaccine, let us know

GMN
He just got the scours today. He can stand on his own if we get him up....he acts as if my husband hit a nerve in his front leg. He doesn't have signs of dehydration. His ears are up and he still seems perky.

Y2 Cattle":3sbudwva said:
He just got the scours today. He can stand on his own if we get him up....he acts as if my husband hit a nerve in his front leg. He doesn't have signs of dehydration. His ears are up and he still seems perky.

He may well have nicked a nerve in the front leg. I've seen it before. IMO I'd give him about 3 weeks and if he doesn't improve (as far as walking or mobility of that leg) I'd shoot him. Been there done that. Calf made good eating a loooong time later though.

Thanks for all the replies!! Our calf is walking again. He seems to get better every day! We are very excited with his progress! Thanks again all!!

Latest posts