Lady in Red

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus":3ppz5af0 said:
Just curious. from watching teevee one would get the impression that africa is covered in poisonous snakes of all sizes and dispositions.

For a person living in a rural situation how much real danger is there from poisonsous snakes?

No more danger than you have from rattlesnakes.

In the almost 50 years my family has been on this farm not my dad nor I know of anyone being bitten by a snake in a 50mile radius. We do have poisonous snakes and in summer I will almost see a snake daily, but its really not a threat. Have lost 2 dogs to Cape cobras though.

For humans the most dangerous is the puff adder as it blends in so well with the surroundings and being a lazy snake its easy to step on one. Now we have completely hijacked TB herefords thread, sorry

TB-Herefords":36u34fm6 said:
Thanks every one

I got blue winter 07' he was way over advertised. The couple had about six horses in the sale The two they showed were awsome horses really well rounded. One was a heading horse and the other worked both ends. I thought they would be out of my price range and they were. So I picked up blue with seeing him in the ring and knowing who was saleing him. Real easy going loaded good traveled good. Got home took a few days adjusting. When I saddled him up he was all jittery and wild. I think he just spent a long time in the pasture. When I first started working the cows with him he would track one and leave the rest. He didn't realize we weren't in an arena. Anyways spent the summer working him and he has worked out really well. moves of leg pressure good has a nice stop. Mostly likes working the cows. He can get a little moody when we exercise in the arena. Mostly he has a good head on him. Doesn't get to excited. If your really curious I can look up his breeding.

703 is from the Churchill Cattle in MT. He has L1 genetics all over his Pedigree but I don't think he is full L1. His Registered name is Churchill Ram 703 if you want to look it up. I was really impressed with him; Dale said he has a nice hindend and he was right. I am really excited to see his offspring. I have some Holden bred cows and some 1/4 sister heifers I am breeding him to. If all goes well I will have some double breed CJH L1 Domino 552 calves next year.

As for Heelers I love them; but you better have something for them to do.
Today I checked on my Heifers; I set Boss up to turn the girls up the hill when I pushed them to him. Got about two hundred yard or so away looked back and Boss was gone. Looked around and seen a flash as he was running from a coyote. I thought that the last I'll see of him. Got back to the truck and Boss was waiting in the truck. I gave him lots of lovin. Good boy good boy.

KNERSIE have you always lived in Africa?
YOu horse sounds like mine...when I put her in a herd, she gets this crazy "which one do I go for" waggle to her head..getting better though, glad your guy is settling into work and working well for you. Nothing beats a good ranch horse..:)

My dogs dont like the coyotes, my female heeler is smaller and she scared off a much bigger coyote. My heelers would be looking for the rankest, muddiest, stinkiest stock pond they could find if I took them out to the pasture..then they'd roll and waller like hogs..:)

spinandslide":1tvdnumm said:
TB-Herefords":1tvdnumm said:
Thanks every one

I got blue winter 07' he was way over advertised. The couple had about six horses in the sale The two they showed were awsome horses really well rounded. One was a heading horse and the other worked both ends. I thought they would be out of my price range and they were. So I picked up blue with seeing him in the ring and knowing who was saleing him. Real easy going loaded good traveled good. Got home took a few days adjusting. When I saddled him up he was all jittery and wild. I think he just spent a long time in the pasture. When I first started working the cows with him he would track one and leave the rest. He didn't realize we weren't in an arena. Anyways spent the summer working him and he has worked out really well. moves of leg pressure good has a nice stop. Mostly likes working the cows. He can get a little moody when we exercise in the arena. Mostly he has a good head on him. Doesn't get to excited. If your really curious I can look up his breeding.

703 is from the Churchill Cattle in MT. He has L1 genetics all over his Pedigree but I don't think he is full L1. His Registered name is Churchill Ram 703 if you want to look it up. I was really impressed with him; Dale said he has a nice hindend and he was right. I am really excited to see his offspring. I have some Holden bred cows and some 1/4 sister heifers I am breeding him to. If all goes well I will have some double breed CJH L1 Domino 552 calves next year.

As for Heelers I love them; but you better have something for them to do.
Today I checked on my Heifers; I set Boss up to turn the girls up the hill when I pushed them to him. Got about two hundred yard or so away looked back and Boss was gone. Looked around and seen a flash as he was running from a coyote. I thought that the last I'll see of him. Got back to the truck and Boss was waiting in the truck. I gave him lots of lovin. Good boy good boy.

KNERSIE have you always lived in Africa?
YOu horse sounds like mine...when I put her in a herd, she gets this crazy
  • >>>>"which one do I go for" waggle to her head..<<<
getting better though, glad your guy is settling into work and working well for you. Nothing beats a good ranch horse..:)

My dogs dont like the coyotes, my female heeler is smaller and she scared off a much bigger coyote. My heelers would be looking for the rankest, muddiest, stinkiest stock pond they could find if I took them out to the pasture..then they'd roll and waller like hogs..:)
she picking up those cue's from you, you know..

Its alright to just discuse stufff; I usually dont talk to much by time I am done reading and looking at pics. Thats why I posted pics because I love looking at all the animals. gotta go babysitting today

Actually Alacowman, shes not used to working in a herd..shes used to working one single cow by itself in the arena. She does the exact same thing with my husband, who really knows his stuff regarding working a horse on cattle. Its not a huge thing, yuo barely notice it if you watch her from the ground, but if you are on her, you can feel it. It comes down to seasoning her, which Im doing..she'll come around, she is extremly cowy.

spinandslide":1utkezox said:
Actually Alacowman, shes not used to working in a herd..shes used to working one single cow by itself in the arena. She does the exact same thing with my husband, who really knows his stuff regarding working a horse on cattle. Its not a huge thing, yuo barely notice it if you watch her from the ground, but if you are on her, you can feel it. It comes down to seasoning her, which Im doing..she'll come around, she is extremly cowy.
fair enough .. not really questioning your ablity.. ive seen seasoned horse's in the wrong hands act like that also. trying to antisipate the rider's cues when they didnt know theirself ;-)

ALACOWMAN":28eo43r9 said:
spinandslide":28eo43r9 said:
fair enough .. not really questioning your ablity.. ive seen seasoned horse's in the wrong hands act like that also. trying to antisipate the rider's cues when they didnt know theirself ;-)
Alacowman, hope I didnt come off bit$hy.. :D not my intent, but my husband tells me I act like that sometimes.
Shes an older seasoned reining horse, but cows are something new, technicaly for both of us! Ive been to alot of clinics with Kris Wilson from Texas Tech and he has helped both my horse and I alot.I dont even need that shot of Tequila anymore before I go down the fence to turn a cow back. ;-)
My husband used her to sort heifers at a ranch horse show I help put on and he commented she wasnt entirely keen on going into the herd..she sucks back alot..then when he got her in there, you could feel she wasnt entirely sure about which cow, even when Paul guided her to the one he wanted, she was still looking at the others...