Lady Equipment Auction

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I worked the Lady Equipment auction today in the shadow of Bristol Motor Speedway. Junk stuff was really high. Tractors weren't crazy. Anyone else seeing crazy prices on older Equipment?

That place back around 1980-2000 was the place to get equipment. It use to be Lady and King and when the King died it has went down hill. I took a piece of equipment there last year to sell on consignment and Mr. Lady himself unloaded it. I know things are selling good now, but I gave my piece of equipment away. Compared to the other local sellers I don't see much advertising and they don't do the net listings. I remember Ken Butler was a salesman there back a few years ago and I talked with Mr. Lady about him as Ken deceased a few years ago. Ken could bring it in and the guy was a born salesman.

I still go in their store maybe a couple times a year. Just south of there use to be Lady and Son and I bought a few pieces of equipment there also. They are now defunk.

I bet they miss the big Nascar turn outs. They use to clear their lot and sell out parking for $25 a car a couple times a year for the big races. Unless things pickup with Nascar their lot probably doesn't even get used.

Lots of stimulus dollars out there. Talk of U$S 8 corn is helping. Real estate market is crazy... Only things that are cheap are bonds and calves. Its a great time to reduce the cylinder index.

Nephew was looking for a house but put that on hold "till prices come down". Got a prediction on this?

That place back around 1980-2000 was the place to get equipment. It use to be Lady and King and when the King died it has went down hill. I took a piece of equipment there last year to sell on consignment and Mr. Lady himself unloaded it. I know things are selling good now, but I gave my piece of equipment away. Compared to the other local sellers I don't see much advertising and they don't do the net listings. I remember Ken Butler was a salesman there back a few years ago and I talked with Mr. Lady about him as Ken deceased a few years ago. Ken could bring it in and the guy was a born salesman.

I still go in their store maybe a couple times a year. Just south of there use to be Lady and Son and I bought a few pieces of equipment there also. They are now defunk.

I bet they miss the big Nascar turn outs. They use to clear their lot and sell out parking for $25 a car a couple times a year for the big races. Unless things pickup with Nascar their lot probably doesn't even get used.
Its terrible to say but I had never been there before and actually the auctioneer (Red) was the one that ask me to help. I don't even know the owners name. I must have done ok because they ask me to work the next sale and paid really well.

I worked the Lady Equipment auction today in the shadow of Bristol Motor Speedway. Junk stuff was really high. Tractors weren't crazy. Anyone else seeing crazy prices on older Equipment?
I wondered were you was at. I brought a few doggies to the auction and your rig was not setting in the spot it has set in the last 40 years on sale day.

Their store on the Lady Equipment lot has some things in it hard to find no-a-days. About any kind of plow points and general wear items they have in stock for equipment. Check it out if you have not yet.

Did you buy anything with your profits?

I wondered were you was at. I brought a few doggies to the auction and your rig was not setting in the spot it has set in the last 40 years on sale day.

Their store on the Lady Equipment lot has some things in it hard to find no-a-days. About any kind of plow points and general wear items they have in stock for equipment. Check it out if you have not yet.

Did you buy anything with your profits?
Never even bid on anything.
Guess I go to the stockyard to much when I have my own parking spot and everyone knows where I'm not there.

How did they do? I heard that they were expected to be down.
I had four female calves........weight 480-560. The two angus brought $1.26 and the two black nose Charolais brought $1.20. I figured they would bring as much now as this fall with the high corn prices, even with the added weight and they needed off the cows.

They had a cow sale Friday night and must have had a lot of cows as they were still loading out a 11A. I did not attend as had a family graduation to attend at Gatlinburg at the Convention Center. Kenny probably attended the cow sale.

I had four female calves........weight 480-560. The two angus brought $1.26 and the two black nose Charolais brought $1.20. I figured they would bring as much now as this fall with the high corn prices, even with the added weight and they needed off the cows.

They had a cow sale Friday night and must have had a lot of cows as they were still loading out a 11A. I did not attend as had a family graduation to attend at Gatlinburg at the Convention Center. Kenny probably attended the cow sale.
Yep, I bought 19 Charolais cows with calves. Averaged $1542. But they were for someone else. Was supposed to get 20 pair so I didn't do a good job.
Also bought a bred cow that cost pound price. .61 Sold her today.

My heifers brought about that same weight closer to the $1.30 range two weeks ago. However, I had one 600lb Charolais Heifer that they docked pretty hard, she only brought $1.10. I should have kept her.

We sold a few odd calves on Friday.... 2 steers weighed 590 brought 1.55 and 3 weighed 515 brought 1.54. One odd one 525 lbs, that did not match I brought home at 1.19.... and 2 heifers that were 485 at 1.18 came back too. Small cull cow that would not stay in the back with her 5 mo calf and it has been weaned nearly a month, only brought .50 but a month ago she would have brought .35. Some culls that were in good flesh and 12-1400 wts brought in the upper .60's and .70's. We have 2 more steers that will probably match the one I brought back but one had a runny eye and one had a snotty nose.... they can go out to grass with some odd sized heifers....

Too much talk of $8 corn... the local mill was paying 7.45 last monday.... we were going to renovate a 7-8 acre field... and put it into sorghum-sudan... but it is going into corn. If corn is high we will shell it and sell it.... if it is not high we will chop it. Had a guy buying silage this past year and wants to get it again this year.... we had more than we planned on due to someone else not taking what would have been extra, so it worked out good. We may need it to feed some weaned calves through the winter if it comes to that too... this field is over and above the 15 +/- acres we normally put out. We do it when renovating some of the hayfields back into good orchard grass as that is what sells best in sq bales around here. We mostly roll first cutting and sq 2nd and 3rd if we get it.

I bought my first tractor there in the mid-90's, a worn-out Ford 5000 that had been jockeyed down from Canada. That tractor is part of the reason I'm as good of a mechanic as I am today, which isn't saying much.

I bought my first tractor there in the mid-90's, a worn-out Ford 5000 that had been jockeyed down from Canada. That tractor is part of the reason I'm as good of a mechanic as I am today, which isn't saying much.
Also bought my first tractor there. Probably one of the best deals I ever got. I bought in 1998 JD 5210 cab/AC 2wd for $17500 with 26 hrs. on it. It had been smuggled cross the Canadian border one salesman joked as it has Canada stickers on it still now. It has 2200 hrs and still looks like new and will bring close to what I gave for it from a couple I have seen sale like it. I took the injector pump off and had it recalibrated up 10% at Acme diesel to dyno 55hp like the 5300 which is exactly the same tractor engine wise is all I have ever done to it. I wish it was 4wd, but have never seen the need to ever need 4wd with no loader. It probably has hurt my mechanic skills as I have never had to work on it.

7y6QLSZ.jpg

Last edited:
Kenny, do you remember what the JD 2950 near the back row brought? It had 2,900 hours on it if I remember right. They had some decent stuff and some that needed to to the scrap yard.

Latest posts