Lactopropen hormone

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
This hormone is apparently undetectable in lab tests and is administered to dairy cows to increase milk production.I can find no information on the internet apart from a reference to it on another forum.Does anyone know anything about it?

Alison i looked all over and cannot find any info on the drug, need the actual chemical name. If I remember I will ask Dr. U when he is out for herd health in the next couple of weeks.

We have very strict laws here , no BST and not even oxytocin can go in the tank if the cow has been treated. Any new thing they come up with will soon be detected and tested for , trust me.

hillsdown":26d5acqt said:
Alison i looked all over and cannot find any info on the drug, need the actual chemical name. If I remember I will ask Dr. U when he is out for herd health in the next couple of weeks.

We have very strict laws here , no BST and not even oxytocin can go in the tank if the cow has been treated. Any new thing they come up with will soon be detected and tested for , trust me.
Oxytocin is banned? That's outrageous! Wonder how long it will be until that happens here.

hillsdown":1ityvkbn said:

HD....some folks in the past would give oxy to each cow as she entered the parlor...I think that's the part that's illegal. A cow treated with it at birthing should be fine. I know of no test they have to detect it.

Seeing as oxytocin is a natural hormone released during calving and milk letdown... it's possible to detect in a lab setting but should NOT be something that you'd be banned for having in the milk.

Wonder if the original poster is thinking of rBST? does increase milk production and I'm not certain as it's detectable in standard milk tests. Synthetic version of a natural hormone. Could be sold under a different name in Africa. In the U.S. we call it Posilac.

OP is already knowledgeable on rBST - it came up in another thread.

I've never heard of this. On oxytocin - not being permitted to put treated milk in the vat is a bit different from not being allowed to use it at all. I think that's what HD means. Regulations must be tightening up in NZ because I've been told I have to keep permanent records for every time I use it.
I think flunixin (banamine) has something like a 20-minute metabolism but a 1-day meat with-holding even though it's completely undetectable. Something to do with consumer perception - if it's injected it ain't natural and therefore it ain't good and must be banned.

That is what I said meant Regolith, thanks. Oxy has a withdrawal like anything else. You can use it but need to follow withdrawal times before milk goes in the tank..

BST used here is BANNED you will be put out of business very quick if caught. using on actual milk cows.

milkmaid":tds049at said:
Seeing as oxytocin is a natural hormone released during calving and milk letdown... it's possible to detect in a lab setting but should NOT be something that you'd be banned for having in the milk.

Wonder if the original poster is thinking of rBST? does increase milk production and I'm not certain as it's detectable in standard milk tests. Synthetic version of a natural hormone. Could be sold under a different name in Africa. In the U.S. we call it Posilac.

But what is the acceptable level since it also occurs "naturally'?? I've never heard of one and most study done on it stays there is neither milk withholding nor meat withholding...in the US anyway.

I read an article a while ago on Pakistan dairies using Oxytocin excessively,the article made brief mention of Lactopropen and i can only assume it is something similar to Oxy??
I believe that Oxy should be used spareingly.Frequent use of it results in reproductive disorders,difficult births,retention of afterbirth,stillborns,fertility problems,ovarian cysts etc. You may be holding milk back from the tank and thus human consumption but the animals wellbeing is disregarded.
I use it on occasions ie heifer letdown,start contractions in birthing or retained afterbirth.

Also, the more often you use it on a cow the more dependant they become on it thus you are really making the milk cow useless too.

I think the milk industry as a whole, needs to take a close look at how they are treating their animals and their consumers.. We are pretty strict here in Canada and it is the dairy operations themselves that set the requirements and regulate themselves. Maybe that is why the industry is still very strong and successful here..

TB I think they may test for levels, there has to be a normal (average) level that these cows produce naturally and when that amount has gone 10-20 fold they will know that drugs are being used. Oxytocin has a 2 day withdrawal I think, and has not been allowed in the tank here since 2005. I didn't even know that (as we haven't actually milked since 99) but one of my instructors that taught and animal husbandry and health class told me about it right after they placed the" not in the tank" rule.

Seeing as oxytocin only has a half-life in the blood of about 3-5 minutes, and since it's a peptide and I don't think will cross membranes into the milk... I can't see as there's a single thing wrong with using it on a lactating cow that's going into the tank. JMO.

Alison - I think you need to check some of your facts. Oxytocin doesn't have any effect on the ovaries that I know of, so it's not going to cause ovarian cysts. Frequent administration of GnRH can cause ovarian cysts, yes, but oxytocin - no.

alisonb":32ghmulv said:
I can unfortunetly not find article that refers to Lactopropen but found a field study report done in Pakistan which links Oxy and ovarian cysts.
http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd20/12/must20193.htm

Alison the study deals with the "abusive use of oxytocin" prior to each milking. That is illegal here. However, using a shot of oxytocin immediately after calving is not and actually assists the cow in expelling afterbirth and avoiding uterine infections. It's a one time shot. Abusive use of the product could cause problems but if it caused ovarian cyst it would be a one time deal also because cystic cattle do not breed.

TexasBred":2bvx2e0e said:
alisonb":2bvx2e0e said:
I can unfortunetly not find article that refers to Lactopropen but found a field study report done in Pakistan which links Oxy and ovarian cysts.

Alison the study deals with the "abusive use of oxytocin" prior to each milking. That is illegal here. However, using a shot of oxytocin immediately after calving is not and actually assists the cow in expelling afterbirth and avoiding uterine infections. It's a one time shot. Abusive use of the product could cause problems but if it caused ovarian cyst it would be a one time deal also because cystic cattle do not breed.

Unless you give them a shot og GnRH

dun":12vefga8 said:
TexasBred":12vefga8 said:
alisonb":12vefga8 said:

Unless you give them a shot og GnRH

But then she would NOT be cystic ;-)

Alison I asked my vet yesterday when he was here and he had never heard of it. Any "bst" related products are banned here in Canada so he doesn't come across them that often.

Latest posts