Lactipro

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
I am developing 10 bull calves which I weaned last Tuesday and today I took them around to my bull paddock where there is lots of good grass at the moment but once the frosts come next month it quickly deteriorates to low quality straw so feeding them a grain ration is essential over winter to get them where I need them. I have an Advantage Feeder which is great for accurately controlling their grain intake. When the saliva dries up in their mouth they walk off and start grazing so works well.
Today I drenched them with some "Lactipro", it is a bacterium that targets lactic acid and helps keep the rumen at a healthy pH so that the rumen functions efficiently. I was fortunate to be given the product to try from a good friend who has bought a couple of bulls from me and is buying some of my heifers. He is a rep from the company that sells it to a lot of feedlots. I am looking forward to giving it a good trial. With it looking like feed prices will be at the top of the range I am looking to make efficient use of every mouthfull that goes down their necks this year.
I am sure that you would have this product or something similar there and am interested to hear if anyone has tried it.

Ken

I have never heard of the product, but the parent company is in Kansas, USA and it is available here in the US.

After looking at it, it appears that it can help prevent acidosis when transitioning from roughage to grain.

It's a bacteria Red, a baccilus I think.
Yes the main aim is on the pH especially when transitioning but I am also led to believe it will have things humming along in there as well. Anyhow it is not doing any harm and this lot was a free sample so I'll be watching closely for any perceived difference. I'll report on my experience with it down the track.

Ken