Labor Day Weekend

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

It's been a wonderful Labor Day weekend for us. Over five inches of rain since Friday. Still cloudy and overcast; only 68 degrees at 9 am. Hope everyone got some of this rain.

Well, unfortunately, here at Dad's in NW Missouri where I'm visiting for the weekend, we've been watching the reports of how much rain everybody around here has been getting -- 4 inches in Smithville yesterday morning. We had a light misting, wasn't hardly enough to wash the dust off of the cars. It was so light that we were out for a couple of hours getting the neighbor's bull back to his side of the fence, and we barely got damp.

This particular little area of NW MO has really been hard hit by drought, the corn is almost gone, the beans are gone, the ponds get lower and lower, there's not nearly enough hay put up to start feeding now and still last the winter, and not much possiblity of another cut.

Only good thing is that the temperatures have been great.

> It's been a wonderful Labor Day
> weekend for us. Over five inches
> of rain since Friday. Still cloudy
> and overcast; only 68 degrees at 9
> am. Hope everyone got some of this
> rain.

[email protected]

In our Texas Panhandle area we got 3" past couple days. Temps dropped from upper 90s to mid 70s when front came thru. Still cloudy and today in upper 80s.

We just worked our Longhorns (measured, weighed, sprayed for flies, branded 3 calves this weekend) weather was great for that type of work. Also started weaning our Peruvian Paso colt...mama wasn't very concerned...colt wasn't too impressed with having his Teat treats stopped...lol. He's with his younger TWH buddy now across fence from his mare...also have a pregnant TWH mare with 2 colts. Think mama was ready to kick him off the free lunch....

[email protected]

> It's been a wonderful Labor Day
> weekend for us. Over five inches
> of rain since Friday. Still cloudy
> and overcast; only 68 degrees at 9
> am. Hope everyone got some of this
> rain. Can you send some of your rain to our part of Australia. 90% of our state is drought declared. Some areas had 4" but we have been missing out for a long time now. Luckily we are coming to the end of our winter. We had a big frost this morning probably down to minus 5c. Our cattle still look great. Been feeding some of the cows with calves a little Prolix (mineral/molasses supplement) Otherwise everyone fends for themselves. We are about to start our Spring show season,finished a successful Summer/Autumn/Winter circuit. Travelled up to 900 klms to our furtherest show. Will be showing Brahmans on the spring circuit as the shows are in the subtropical area to our east. We save our South Devons to show in our higher colder area,nearer to us. We usually don't get much rain this time of the year. Our area and all points north have a summer rainfall pattern.The bottom half of Australia has a winter rainfall pattern. We live at an altitude of 1,000 metres (about 3,000 feet) we have cold winters and beautiful mild summers. Best wishes PS don't forget the rain!

[email protected]

> Well, unfortunately, here at Dad's
> in NW Missouri where I'm visiting
> for the weekend, we've been
> watching the reports of how much
> rain everybody around here has
> been getting -- 4 inches in
> Smithville yesterday morning. We
> had a light misting, wasn't hardly
> enough to wash the dust off of the
> cars. It was so light that we were
> out for a couple of hours getting
> the neighbor's bull back to his
> side of the fence, and we barely
> got damp.

> This particular little area of NW
> MO has really been hard hit by
> drought, the corn is almost gone,
> the beans are gone, the ponds get
> lower and lower, there's not
> nearly enough hay put up to start
> feeding now and still last the
> winter, and not much possiblity of
> another cut.

> Only good thing is that the
> temperatures have been great. Its funny how things work. Here in TN. we've had so much rain that we couldn't get our hay cut so we've lost a cutting of hay. On the afternoon of the 31st I cut some hay my neighbor gave me and its gotten rained on now for 2 straight days,probably is going to hurt its quality somewhat but I'm glad to get what I can. Its now Wed and its the first time I've seen much of the sun in 3 days. We've probably had at least 5-6 in of rain here in the last 3 days.

[email protected]

Isn't it something else we need the rain soooo bad but we got .65 this weekend and all it did was ruined some working. It never seems to come at the right time no matter how much you need it. Jake

[email protected]

Please send the rain to Wisconsin, we are in a sever drough. All grass and corn is dead. It hasn't rained in over 6 weeks in my area. No rain in forcast.

[email protected]

Latest posts