Labeled but who knows

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
We are doing a lrime rib special for Christmas. $6 a pound for ribeyes labeled angus origin of the USA. Packed by
JBS who is owned by the Brazilians so with the new regs who really knows.

It's not hard at all to mislabel meat or fish sitting in the retail counter in the store. If you buy that box labeled product of the USA, that's what I think you'll get. Buy a couple of steaks or a roast off the shelf and you might not be getting what it says on that box. The retailer would be the one switching labels on individual packages, not the packer/shipper mislabeling entire boxes. At $6.00/lb I'd be highly suspicious. Tell the retailer you want the whole box, see if they start backing up.

This is wholesale through Ben E Kieth foods. My company buys bulk. They are basically the middle man for restaurant companies in Texas I'm not sure if they service National brands. But the prime ribs have been coming in frozen.

With the repeal of the COOL act I heard the animal just has to be slaughtered here to be labeled US beef.

pricefarm":3dcitxo6 said:
As long as it's black it's Angus... Right ??? ;-)

When you pull up qualifications for certified Black Angus beef it says nothing about being US beef. Just that has to be black and meet the physical qualifications and have a black coat of hair and grade of meat.

BK9954":bmixmzql said:
pricefarm":bmixmzql said:
As long as it's black it's Angus... Right ??? ;-)

When you pull up qualifications for certified Black Angus beef it says nothing about being US beef. Just that has to be black and meet the physical qualifications and have a black coat of hair and grade of meat.
But you don't know the grade of meat until you buy it, kill it and process it and they damm sure ain't gonna throw any away.

BK9954":82zzu5e1 said:
We are doing a prime rib special for Christmas. $6 a pound for ribeyes labeled angus origin of the USA. Packed by

Could be a "loss leader" promotion by your area grocer.
Hamburger was $1.88 lb last week at our local grocery store. Other times it's selling coffee or toilet paper at a loss
to lead customers into shopping at their store. It usually changes every week or two.

Son of Butch":1kk3cqp2 said:
BK9954":1kk3cqp2 said:
We are doing a prime rib special for Christmas. $6 a pound for ribeyes labeled angus origin of the USA. Packed by

Could be a "loss leader" promotion by your area grocer.
Hamburger was $1.88 lb last week at our local grocery store. Other times it's selling coffee or toilet paper at a loss
to lead customers into shopping at their store. It usually changes every week or two.
This is with my corporate restaurant job. We check the beef prices every week to decide what cuts will make the best margin without affecting quality. We buy tens of thousands of pounds a week at wholesale. Beef has been creaping back up. Our ground angus went from 1.80 to little over 2.20( frozen is cheaper @ $1.80). Ribeyes creeping up in the mid 6's and all the other cuts are averaging from 2.40 to 3.00( up from around $2). I would figure with the cattle being sold so cheap it would stay down a while. The only thing still holding down is beef liver. It is in the .80 down from $1 last year. Wonder how long to run the cheap beef from the price crash through the feed lots.

Latest posts