LA200

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
La 200. I have been using this medication for years. With in the last 2 years it has been leaving large lumps at the injection sites. I expect a lump after injection because you just injected fluid and it has to go somewhere! The problem is that the lumps are not going away. I have injection sites from months ago!
I am following all the directions for storage and am having problems with it turning a dark red color. This is also a new problem. I am haveing to through out these bottles not knowing weather it is bad or not. It is always atleast a year before its exp. date. I am very careful about contaminants. I have been tryed to get in touch with Pfizer with no sucess. Anyones opinion is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

LA 200 turning dark after a while is normal, however it is still ok to use.
I do not know the size of bottle you buy, but you can get as small as 100ml. That might help. As far as lumps after injection. I have seen that in my cattle after giving sub Q injections. I noticed that after time they disappear. As long as you give the injection in the neck and give no more than 10cc. per site these lumps should not cause any concern. I usally give LA200 in the muscle and never see any lumps, seems like a lot of sub Q treatments leave lumps. Hope this helps, Have a good day!!!

You can reduce the amount of each injection and massage the area after you are finished, this seems to help!

Howdy,
Yeah we see lumps every now and then, it's just where the injection went under the skin & didn't reach the muscle or get into the blood stream. It will go away eventually.
Ellie May

We were having this problem then our vet told us to make sure the la gets all the way into the muscle. We hardly ever have lumps any more. Also when we were having them the vet told us they were nothing to worry about.

My vet told me LA 200 is very irritating to tissue. I suspect we weren't seeing the result of that irritation when giving a deep IM injection, as it was hidden in the muscle. Now that most of us are giving this med SQ, we are seeing the long lasting lumps from the irritation. SQ injections are absorbed at a different rate than IM injections, so that may have some bearing on the problem.

Linda":uqps4eip said:
My vet told me LA 200 is very irritating to tissue. I suspect we weren't seeing the result of that irritation when giving a deep IM injection, as it was hidden in the muscle. Now that most of us are giving this med SQ, we are seeing the long lasting lumps from the irritation. SQ injections are absorbed at a different rate than IM injections, so that may have some bearing on the problem.
Linda you're probaly about 100% correct about this.

Latest posts