La Niña

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron":1j8rmjnc said:
I can only tile with a hoe. Grid tiling with a tile machine is $1500/acre here. I can buy 3 acres of good ground that either doesn't need tiling, or is already tiled, for the same price. Only grid tiling that gets done around here is government subsidized.

I need another dry summer so I can finish my hoe-tiling on one field. Peat-bog-burnouts saturated with water make my life miserable in that field.

So you hoe in one drain tile line to a pot hole? Or more than that?

Stocker Steve":3a174yej said:
Aaron":3a174yej said:
I can only tile with a hoe. Grid tiling with a tile machine is $1500/acre here. I can buy 3 acres of good ground that either doesn't need tiling, or is already tiled, for the same price. Only grid tiling that gets done around here is government subsidized.

I need another dry summer so I can finish my hoe-tiling on one field. Peat-bog-burnouts saturated with water make my life miserable in that field.

So you hoe in one drain tile line to a pot hole? Or more than that?

Yep, and branch off of it to other holes and dump into the road ditch which is actually a municipal drain.

We did the hole closest to the road (about 100') in 2011, about 1/4 acre in size. That hole originally had a makeshift box drain made out of white cedar that collapse eons ago. We had to go down 2' at the ditch, about 4-5' to cut through the hog-back and 2' in the pot hole itself. It now stays dry as a bone year round and I can now cut through it and I bale up the cattails as bedding. I will tap into the end of that drain to drain the other 2 holes. One hole is quite deep and has a massive hog-back holding it back, so we might have to dig 8-10' down to get through the hog-back.

Stocker Steve":3o8qcvdt said:
greybeard":3o8qcvdt said:
However, the transition is not forecast to be complete until Fall 2016, s if there is drought, it would likely be in 2017 assuming the El Niña effect remains strong until 2017.

What does a transition look like ?
Probably like 70-80ºF in February.

Saturday
02/13
71 | 51 °F

Sunday
02/14
76 | 56 °F
Sunday 20 % Precip. / 0 in

Monday
02/15
77 | 47 °F
Monday 50 % Precip. / 0.04 in
Scattered thunderstorms in the morning. Partly cloudy skies late. High 77F. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Tuesday
02/16
81 | 50 °F

Wednesday
02/17
78 | 51 °F

Thursday
02/18
79 | 57 °F

Friday
02/19
80 | 58 °F

Saturday
02/20
80 | 56 °F

Sunday
02/21
79 | 55 °F
Sunday 20 % Precip. / 0 in
Mainly cloudy. High 79F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday Night 40 % Precip. / 0.02 in

Monday
02/22
72 | 50 °F
Monday 30 % Precip. / 0.03 in
Cloudy skies early. A few showers developing later in the day. High 72F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Monday Night 60 % Precip. / 0.23 in
Cloudy with occasional rain showers. Low around 50F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 60%.

slick4591":u3dr312i said:
Aaron":u3dr312i said:
If I could take it from you I would. I love a good drought here.

Be vewry vewry careful what you ask for. 2011 put several folks out of business.

Sold 70% of mine and never restocked to pre 2011 rates.
Lots of folks got out here and never got back in.
I would have to set down and think long and hard if I wanted to do that fight again.

The problem with selling out is for us that own land is , the land has to be maintained to keep it from reverting back to weeds and brush. Their is no income from the sell of cattle.

cowboy43":2qmmliis said:
The problem with selling out is for us that own land is , the land has to be maintained to keep it from reverting back to weeds and brush. Their is no income from the sell of cattle.

You could make more money leasing to deer hunters.

Caustic Burno":2jwb3gtj said:
slick4591":2jwb3gtj said:
Aaron":2jwb3gtj said:
If I could take it from you I would. I love a good drought here.

Be vewry vewry careful what you ask for. 2011 put several folks out of business.

Sold 70% of mine and never restocked to pre 2011 rates.
Lots of folks got out here and never got back in.
I would have to set down and think long and hard if I wanted to do that fight again.
I've done my last drought. The next one and we'll be selling out. Have someobdy on the string that wants this farm something fierce so selling it won;t be a problem. LEAVING it, that will be the problem

My land has been in the family for 136 years all 3 sons have homes on the place and they want to keep the land as long as possible, the grandkids feel the same way. I know no other home I have lived on the land for 71 years the wife 50 years, all my kids have lived on the land all their lives. The one mile road coming to the land is named after our name. So selling is not an option.

Latest posts