La Grand Angus and Hereford Ranch Auction

Help Support CattleToday:

It was poor planning to schedule a sale the day after Good Friday and the day before Easter.
Their customers are from all over. I know a couple who decided that they would not go this year.

I watched it for a while and thought it was going pretty good. Next time I looked, they were selling bulls for $1500. But they had 100+ pounds actual birth weights. That seemed to take the air out of the sale. Some of the females sold well. These folks are moving from Herefords to Angus. I'd expect it would take a few sales to get their reputation established.

4/13/09

Frankie,

If my recollections are correct Doc Pankratz and his wife Luara and their son Lance initially purchased an operating angus seedstock herd (It may have been named "Lagrand" ...) a number of years ago. After a period of time they started a Hereford seedstock herd to run along with their black cattle. From my prospective, I would have to say their upstart Hereford herd was quite successful both in the show ring and in the sales ring.

A year or two ago the Pangkratz's purchased the Scotch Cap angus herd to expand their influence in the black cattle arena.

Last year the Pangratz's decided to exit the Hereford industry and stick with Angus cattle.

By the way, it is finally starting to warm up in southern New England and my cattle are already out in the pasture grazing.

Have a nice day and I hope all is going well for you this spring!!

Dave
Maple Edge Herefords
Bloomfield, Connecticut

Doug Hoff had a dispersal sale. So LeGrand didn't buy the entire Scotch Cap herd. I've always put them in the show category, so honestly don't pay much attention. But I did think they bought Roth Angus, who had bought Bon View..... :?

http://www.cattleseller.com/articles/20 ... port70.txt

Our cows only wish they had something to graze. This rain should help that situation. We're debating about whether to put the bull with them next week or wait until the end of the month. This actually using a live bull is stressful. :lol:

I guess I have been a lurker on this board for a long time but this post gave me a reason to register.
I have a few clarifications to clear things up for everyone.
They are on the site of the former Bon View Farms.
Doc pancratz sold a livestock vaccine production lab for big big dollars
The Roth that Frankie allured to is Doc's son in law, I think, He has his own sale in Mitchell.
they startedout with the angus and then added herefords a few years later.
They had a bull that did well in Denver a few years ago but I think he was kind of a dud at passing on his genetics. They promoted this bull pretty hard.
They got rid of the herefords like MEH said
I have never been to their sale but have been told by peoplewho have that their cattle are hot blooded.
They do a lot showing and their is a lot of money behind them.
Raising and selling 200+ bulls takes a lot of management and their is a lot to learn. You don't do that in one or two years.
They do sell some high dollar angus bulls every year.
I hope this clears things up a little and believe it to be accurate. Just remember what you paid for it.

Hoff did have a dispersion. Lagrand purchased a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of cows there and then they bought the land and also name I believe.

Latest posts